Gaming chat

Lelouch

in my opinion E3 would have been more interesting if Sony showed up I have nothing against Nintendo switch but come on ppl are interested in xbox and PS 4 games really hopefully Sony hosts their own event soon 

This might be the most interesting conversation to come out of E3.  For me anyway.  A conversation about game and gaming between Todd Howard (Fallout, Elder Scrolls developer/producer at Bethesda Game Studios) and Elon Musk.

Looking at GPU prices & comparing AMD's new "NAVI" (RX5700 series) and Radeon VII to the Nvidia offerings.  Gotta say, I'm not too impressed with either company's lineup.  At 7nm I was expecting a lot more from Navi, but it clearly didn't deliver.  At $700 a Radeon VII is right up there in ludicrous territory with the 2080 too, price wise.  I mean, get real.  That's simply ridiculous.  I would NEVER spend that much for a GPU!  Even the RTX 2060/RX5700 level of ~$370 is at the extreme limit of what I'd pay for a GFX card.  It is like we've reached the limits of performance per dollar and the only question is how much money you can afford to spend.  :(

Seems like a $150-200 for an old RX 580 or a GTX 1665 is a MUCH better value proposition, at least if you haven't bought into the 4k UHD and/or 120FPS gaming nonsense.  Heck, compared to a RX580 or a GTX 1665 even my so-old-it-is-discontinued 8GB RX480 isn't looking too bad.  It still works plenty fine for my existing games for one thing.  Sure I could get better performance if I upgraded, but upgrade to what, and at what cost?  I'm getting a passmark score of ~8100 where I am.  At a benchmark of 8900 I doubt I'd even notice a difference between my RX480 and a "modern" RX580.  I'd simply be throwing away ~$180.  ~$350 for a RTX 2060 (assuming you can find it at that price) would lose me 2GB of RAM and still not even come close to doubling the performance.  $700(!) for a Radeon VII or a 2080 would finally (barely) get me to twice the benchmark score of my 4-yo, 14nm process card.. at almost 4x the price and twice the heat/power dissipation!  Just doesn't seem worth it, even with the architecture changes. 

I'm not even going to waste time thinking about the 2080ti.  That's just the "for people with far more money than sense" option.  :)

On 6/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, Lelouch said:

in my opinion E3 would have been more interesting if Sony showed up I have nothing against Nintendo switch but come on ppl are interested in xbox and PS 4 games really hopefully Sony hosts their own event soon 

Well Nintendo has a lot more then Microsoft coming out, since pretty much they have a lot of exclusives. Everything so far on xbox can be played on PC, or PS4. 

Edited by Serge heartless

I've been playing on Stardew Valley a lot recently. Taking a break from it going to try and get back into Fortnite. Haven't played it since my PS4 broke so trying it on PC for the first time. Hope my computer can handle it 

Well it looks like I'm never going to buy a xbox, after they want to get rid of free speech. Even though you can just mute people on a mic, or just block them. I don't need companies or anyone telling me what I can and can't say. As much as you think you can control people, you really can't. People will just move to PC, PS4, or Switch. Its just like the COD and Doom haters, which is why I'm going to buy these games. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, Lelouch said:

Regardless all the gamers just want a great console awesome games with great quality graphics we'll see what the next gen consoles bring to the table 

More new consoles with more controlling what you can and can't say, and more and more censorship? Im glad Nintendo isn't going this route. 

Agreed tho Nintendo has usually targeted younger kids would be nice to see both xbox and PlayStation go that route but because they target teens and adults it's hard to say if they ever will.... 

• 3 weeks later...

Modern warfare multiplayer dropped today if what I've seen it looks good I haven't played any of the past marden warfare gsmes friends have told me they are good games other  that I'm  considering buy it what are your thoughts on the matter?! 

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:05 PM, Lelouch said:

Agreed tho Nintendo has usually targeted younger kids would be nice to see both xbox and PlayStation go that route but because they target teens and adults it's hard to say if they ever will.... 

you mean when Sony had Jak and Daxter, Sly cooper, and ratchet and clank? Ya they tried, but most kids didn't care I guess. They rather play fortnite and Minecraft. 

• 3 months later...

Looks like Sony isn't going to E3 this year either..

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/on-eve-of-ps5-sony-confirms-it-will-skip-e3-for-second-year-in-a-row/

Oh!  Steampunk and VR??  HDR??  Shut up and take my money!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/9/21058056/panasonic-vr-glasses-hdr-hands-on-ces-2020

"Panasonic is unlikely to ever sell these glasses as a consumer product."

Damn..

I think the PS5 seems quite decent, especially because of the backwards compatibility. I wonder how many more console generations there will be, however. I'd expect them to run the games from a server in the future and just stream them. Maybe I'm just oversimplifying things though and games in the future will be too big to be streamed in any way.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:17 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

I think the PS5 seems quite decent, especially because of the backwards compatibility. I wonder how many more console generations there will be, however. I'd expect them to run the games from a server in the future and just stream them. Maybe I'm just oversimplifying things though and games in the future will be too big to be streamed in any way.

I’d like to like consoles but they’re just too locked down.  If they ever make a console that accepts mods, I’m there.  Until then I’ll stick with my PC.

As for streaming, I see 2 problems there.  First is bandwidth.  How does a FPS in HD work over my ~7mb/s DSL at anything like acceptable frame rates and latency?  It probably doesn’t.

2nd is kind of the same problem that I have with existing consoles.. lock-in, which leads to expensive content, user-farming (loot boxes, etc), and less value for your money.  Apps that I don’t physically take possession of and that require an expensive console that can turn into a useless brick at any time some company decides they’re not making enough profit are basically a non-starter With me, especially if it takes “my” entire software library with it.  At least with existing consoles I can generally continue to run in single-player mode from the cart/disc until the hardware itself breaks.

To be sure there is interesting possibilities inherent in the streaming console idea.  Multi-player games are hard to do if there is much physics interaction between players and it all has to be coordinated individually, without recourse to a server.  If the whole “physics” environment is simulated in the servers’ local memory and just control inputs and visual/audible results streamed from/to a remote console someplace then that limits the required bandwidth and compute power for massively multiplayer games even as it opens up new gaming possibilities on the development side.

I'm interested to see where consoles go from here.  At the same time I’m in no rush to be in the bleeding edge.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, efaardvark said:

As for streaming, I see 2 problems there.  First is bandwidth.  How does a FPS in HD work over my ~7mb/s DSL at anything like acceptable frame rates and latency?  It probably doesn’t.

I think they are expecting people to have at least 10 fold that in the future though, especially since most people won't be at AT&T 😂 But yeah still, latency could be quite an issue.

I am not saying I would want them to make everything online/stream it all, among other things precisely because of all the bs loot boxes, in-game purchases etc. that are polluting games nowadays. But I think it could be quite profitable for companies if you need to be subscribed at all times to even play the games.

Technically you can mod anything if you were to 'hack' your console, but at that point you i) could get a decent PC instead and ii) are often barred from any of the online services. Generally, PCs are much more versatile when it comes to modding or anything of the like of course, but maybe not for your average-Joe-user. Generally I really enjoy consoles, or at least I did for anything that was offline-gaming without the tons of ads, extra purchases etc, and mostly related to Nintendo. But since you can get a decent gamepad connected to your pc, the content of which can be streamed to your TV, nowadays your PC can more or less act as a console just as well.

2 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I think they are expecting people to have at least 10 fold that in the future though, especially since most people won't be at AT&T 😂 But yeah still, latency could be quite an issue.

That’s right, rub it in!  😭   ( ;) )

Speaking of which, the latest in the fiber install saga is that AT&T missed yet another appointment!!  💢 That’s 4 for 4!  I got ahold of their loyalty number and went in yelling.  I was aiming for the CEOs desk this time.  (Of course he wasn’t available.  Probably out golfing with Trump.  :veryangry: )  I did get a half-off deal on our service for a year however, including our two phone lines.  Of course, that isn’t worth jack if they never actually get around to installing it. 🤣 😭 BBB and FCC have also already been notified, though in the latter case that agency has already been Trumpified as well so that’s probably a wasted effort.  Making America Grate Again!

• Silly 1