Gaming chat

Lelouch

• 2 weeks later...

Heh now that i'm done with Ghost Trick Phantom Detective and Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin i can now focus even more on my portable backlog now Disgaea 1 on the ds i'm going through at the moment but after that i guess im going to be playing Mario and Luigi partners in time.

• 1 month later...

As of late I have been playing a lot of Minecraft as always though besides that finished MML a truly wonderful VN, and hoping to start a few more VNs. Also been playing good amount of Dead by Daylight. 

On 5/13/2020 at 8:14 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

@efaardvark Imagine that in full resolution for VR. I'd probably just live in the virtual world then 😂

Imagine if GPUs get as much development and advances over the next few years as CPUs have over the last couple.  😮 

Also, did you catch the reference to rendered -audio-?  Imagine caves that sound like caves, virtual amphitheatres that are actually good for VR concerts/shows, and virtual renditions of architecture from all over the world that actually let you participate in the acoustics as well as the visuals.  That's the kind of thing that could be the "killer app" that gets VR out of its niche.

1 hour ago, Lelouch said:

No suprise there seeing the lack of support form Sony PlayStation  sad to hear it was cancelled we'll see what happens next 

I was hoping there would at least be some PS and Xbox console tidbits leaked/announced at E3.  I guess you could call the Unreal Engine V a PS5 announcement of a sort.  Nothing prevents companies from making announcements on their own either.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lelouch said:

I'm looking forward to the unveiling of the ps5 console 

Me too.  Well, tbh I'm not a big fan of either MSFT or Sony.  Pretty much all my console and portable experience to date has been Nintendo.  That said, for better or worse the PS5 and xbox are pretty much the entire industry between them, and it is good to see what they're doing.  A huge percentage of game devs are going to be writing games for those two platforms, and that process will inevitably affect everything else, including the phone and PC gamers.  If nothing else it sets a minimum expectation for the PC crowd.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:36 PM, efaardvark said:

If this is a preview of stuff we'll see on PS5....

and btw the licencing terms have changed for unreal engine as well.  Now it is free for the first $1M of revenue...
https://youtu.be/dK9JytK_sBg

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

22 minutes ago, Geano said:

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

The latest I've seen so far on the the PS5 specs say it will be using an AMD 8-core/16-thread "Zen2" CPU running at 3.5Ghz (roughly on par with a Ryzen 7 3700X), a 36-core RDNA2 GPU (no AMD GPUs use this yet), and 16GB GDDR6 RAM.  The console crowd is much better at utilizing all the power available to them too.  PC programmers are lazy and don't optimize nearly as much. :D  I'm thinking it should have the processing power of a current mid-range PC specs-wise.  It could be that the top-tier PS5 games are pretty close to that demo.  At the least it should be as good as an i7 or Ryzen 7 with a decent RTX video card.  The demo itself claims to be a real-time demo running on actual hardware.  I can believe that, especially if they also have a high-speed NVME SSD in there instead of the traditional spinny-disc HD.

There's also this video.  It is kind of long but there's a bunch of juicy hardware-level info in there..

• 2 weeks later...

I too am very interested in what  Cyberpunk 2077 is going to bring us. I am fairly new to the series though it looks awesome, and has been in development for quite some time now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu annoyance number .... heck, I've stopped counting:

Optifine for minecraft 1.15.2 is out in preview form so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I'd had "ray tracing" (geometry shaders) running for 1.12, and my CPU & GPU are strong enough to make that sort of thing playable.  It was a bit fiddly to get running well enough with my "old" RX480 card, but once set up it was pretty neat.  (Yes, you can have "RT" Minecraft without needing a $700 "RTX" GFX card, which is what they were selling for when I got my setup going.) 

So along comes Ubuntu 20.04.  After I'd installed 20.04 I noticed that my old minecraft icon that I'd used to start minecraft from the desktop was missing.  I thought it had deleted my stuff but I kind of shrugged it off and stuck with vanilla, annoyed with ubuntu once again but not enough to want to tackle setting everything up again just for an old version that I don't even really play anymore.  Minecraft was there in the Ubuntu repository (app store) so I went ahead and (re)installed it.  Naturally it also set up things so that I got a shiny new Minecraft icon on the desktop, and running that gave me the new, pre-packaged - i.e. vanilla default - minecraft.  Lately the only time I play mc is on my brother's realms server so having access to the latest version is all I really need anyway.  My new Ryzen system doesn't need optifine's performance either.  I was just using it for the hooks to the "RT" shaders.  Annoying, but ok.. I'll live with it.

But then seeing the 1.15.2 preview got me wanting to see "ray traced" minecraft again.  So I downloaded and installed the optifine preview.  The installer said "success".  Yay!  However, upon running the mc launcher it did not contain the expected "optifine" installation that optifine always sets up for you. 

Hmmmm...

Turns out that while I'd previously had the minecraft stuff configured in the standard $user/.minecraft directory, Ubuntu decided to repackage minecraft and make their version a "snap" package.. and install it in an obscure directory named $user/snap/mc-installer/current/.minecraft.  Ubuntu hadn't deleted my old setup after all.  It was still there, taking up space but unused.  Because it was there and in the standard place the optifine installer automatically found my old minecraft setup and dutifully installed the preview alongside my old 1.12 setup.  And claimed success.  But because ubuntu decided to do their own thing none of that was accessible to the unsuspecting user, and running the ubuntu-configured minecraft launcher of course didn't have my changes because their stuff all points to their new obscure directory that they don't inform the user of when they set it up.  :veryangry::veryangry::veryangry::veryangry:

That said, and on the plus side, Ubuntu did do a decent job of making default minecraft an easy install.  If all you want to do is get online with a bunch of your minecraft Realms buddies then it is literally a 30-second install from the app store via the "Ubuntu Software" installer and a double-click on the minecraft icon from the desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

LTT did a piece on the state of gaming on linux a few days ago that I have to comment on.

First off, as a long-time linux user I wouldn't use the term "better".  (Seriously, LTT is getting more click-baity every day.)  As always it depends on your specific requirements.  If the particular game that you like is one of those on the "restricted" list then (it sucks to be you but) sorry, you're not going to get it running on anything but Windows.  If you like games from certain companies (EA, Blizzard, I'm looking at you).. in that case linux is INappropriate for you.  At least as far as games go.

That said, I will also say that quite a few games DO work perfectly fine on linux.  Most of them in fact.  Lately I've been spending quite a lot of my free time playing games like Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, and Minecraft.  This includes many mods such as Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock on KSP, traffic manager and moveit on C:S, and optifine and various texture & shader packs on Minecraft. (I actually had the whole RLCraft modpack running on MC for a while.  I'm considering tackling the Rebirth of the Night pack the next time I'm feeling ambitious.)  In particular, there is a native Steam client on Linux and it runs just as you would expect.  That's how I got C:S (+mods) installed.  If your favorite game(s) are on Steam then your chances are good that it/they will also run on linux.  Even Steam games that are technically Windows-only will likely run on linux using Steam's Proton emulation.  (Maybe a 60/40 split.)  Provided they're not from EA, Activision, or Ubisoft of course. :veryangry::veryangry::veryangry:

Edited by efaardvark

On 6/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, efaardvark said:

Just an ad basically, but it is official "news" in some sense..

I'm personally not a fan of the chassis of this console I know its just first version release, and there will be others soon. Though this color just bugs me. Though under the hood it is fairly impressive from what I have read.  

3 hours ago, Geano said:

I'm personally not a fan of the chassis of this console I know its just first version release, and there will be others soon. Though this color just bugs me. Though under the hood it is fairly impressive from what I have read.  

I'm ok with the looks, even the "pregnant" one with the disc slot.  Of course I'm also anti-RGB lighting that seems to be all the rage now so what do I know about design?  :D 

The bigger problem for me is the "Sony" label, especially with the admittedly nicer-looking "Digital" model.  Yeah, sure, download only.  From Sony.  What could go wrong?  For me I'm much more interested in the PS5 as an indicator of where the industry is going than in actually owning one myself.  Thanks, but I'll probably be sticking with a PC.  A nice 4th-gen Ryzen, with gobs of RAM, and an RDNA2/3 GPU.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :)  I figure I've got a year or maybe two before I have to upgrade my current system.