Gaming chat

Lelouch

Looks like Sony won’t make it to PAX East this year either, this time over virus concerns...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/2020-pax-east-gaming-showcase-opens-in-boston-without-sony/31132651

1 hour ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Saw that e-mail but was too lazy to read it 😂 First thing I thought when I read what you said was exactly this. I can't see people not simply downloading, keeping it and getting a refund anyway. I mean, I think it's 'great' for people with little money to technically 'legally' get games, effectively without spending money, but generally I think it lends itself a bit too much to massive refunds.

Part of the problem is all the misleading advertising that goes into games.  The trailer will be an awesome cgi.. which turns out is just the best cutscene in a game with abysmal playability.  Then there’s all the bugs on top of that.  People definitely *should* be allowed to return games like that for a full refund at the developers’ expense.   (Or better yet, don’t buy before the reviews of shipping products come out.  And certainly don’t pre-order!  But I digress.)

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Lelouch said:

looks dope I'm hyped about the final fantasy 7 remake 

I'm considering playing the demo sometime this weekend, but I'm not sold that the demo is really much of a demo.  XV's demo got me hyped, and all I got was pure disappointment.  So...we'll see.  I won't be buying the game right away anyway, simply because I'm not going to give Square that much money.  Company makes bank on mediocre releases.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I'm considering playing the demo sometime this weekend, but I'm not sold that the demo is really much of a demo.  XV's demo got me hyped, and all I got was pure disappointment.  So...we'll see.  I won't be buying the game right away anyway, simply because I'm not going to give Square that much money.  Company makes bank on mediocre releases.

Sounds good let us share your thoughts when u have played it 

• Agree 1

omg.. are these people for real? 🙄  10,000 messages a day in my discord feed.. ~9,000 about games, ~980 about anime, 19 meme transferrals, and maybe 1 mention of linux in my discord feed.  Clearly a haven for terrorists and black-hats.  🤣  

"Using Discord, too, is apparently a warning sign that your child is turning into a naughty hacker."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-police-distance-themselves-from-poster-warning-parents-to-report-kids-for-using-kali-linux/

• 2 weeks later...

While repacking a couple bookshelves I found a 20 year old (©2000) version of SimCity 3000 .. for linux.  It is the port done by Loki Games and one of the last versions of SC that I played before I swore off EA titles forever.  (Not that EA's ever done anything for linux anyway.)  I wonder if it still runs?  It says Linux kernel 2.2 or greater, 233Mhz Pentium, 32MB RAM, 4MB GPU, and 450MB of available HD space.  I think my system can handle it.   :D 

Seriously(?) though if I were going to do that then Cities: Skylines is probably the better option.

IMG_0233.thumb.jpg.a6c434e597aa30559dc24cbc3c5da6cb.jpg

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Lelouch said:

What are thoughts on final fantasy 7 remake if anyone plays rpg games here  let us know your thoughts 

It looks pretty enough, but I'm not totally sold on the episodic nature.  Ordinarily I wouldn't be opposed, but because I know how Square Enix works...I'll just wait on it.  The explanation of controls was a bit off the cuff too, I wasn't too thrilled with that.  I dunno, the demo didn't match the hype that I had heard and seen on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh now that i'm done with Ghost Trick Phantom Detective and Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin i can now focus even more on my portable backlog now Disgaea 1 on the ds i'm going through at the moment but after that i guess im going to be playing Mario and Luigi partners in time.

• 1 month later...

As of late I have been playing a lot of Minecraft as always though besides that finished MML a truly wonderful VN, and hoping to start a few more VNs. Also been playing good amount of Dead by Daylight. 

On 5/13/2020 at 8:14 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

@efaardvark Imagine that in full resolution for VR. I'd probably just live in the virtual world then 😂

Imagine if GPUs get as much development and advances over the next few years as CPUs have over the last couple.  😮 

Also, did you catch the reference to rendered -audio-?  Imagine caves that sound like caves, virtual amphitheatres that are actually good for VR concerts/shows, and virtual renditions of architecture from all over the world that actually let you participate in the acoustics as well as the visuals.  That's the kind of thing that could be the "killer app" that gets VR out of its niche.

1 hour ago, Lelouch said:

No suprise there seeing the lack of support form Sony PlayStation  sad to hear it was cancelled we'll see what happens next 

I was hoping there would at least be some PS and Xbox console tidbits leaked/announced at E3.  I guess you could call the Unreal Engine V a PS5 announcement of a sort.  Nothing prevents companies from making announcements on their own either.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lelouch said:

I'm looking forward to the unveiling of the ps5 console 

Me too.  Well, tbh I'm not a big fan of either MSFT or Sony.  Pretty much all my console and portable experience to date has been Nintendo.  That said, for better or worse the PS5 and xbox are pretty much the entire industry between them, and it is good to see what they're doing.  A huge percentage of game devs are going to be writing games for those two platforms, and that process will inevitably affect everything else, including the phone and PC gamers.  If nothing else it sets a minimum expectation for the PC crowd.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:36 PM, efaardvark said:

If this is a preview of stuff we'll see on PS5....

and btw the licencing terms have changed for unreal engine as well.  Now it is free for the first $1M of revenue...
https://youtu.be/dK9JytK_sBg

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

22 minutes ago, Geano said:

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

The latest I've seen so far on the the PS5 specs say it will be using an AMD 8-core/16-thread "Zen2" CPU running at 3.5Ghz (roughly on par with a Ryzen 7 3700X), a 36-core RDNA2 GPU (no AMD GPUs use this yet), and 16GB GDDR6 RAM.  The console crowd is much better at utilizing all the power available to them too.  PC programmers are lazy and don't optimize nearly as much. :D  I'm thinking it should have the processing power of a current mid-range PC specs-wise.  It could be that the top-tier PS5 games are pretty close to that demo.  At the least it should be as good as an i7 or Ryzen 7 with a decent RTX video card.  The demo itself claims to be a real-time demo running on actual hardware.  I can believe that, especially if they also have a high-speed NVME SSD in there instead of the traditional spinny-disc HD.

There's also this video.  It is kind of long but there's a bunch of juicy hardware-level info in there..