Gaming chat

Lelouch

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I'm ok with the looks, even the "pregnant" one with the disc slot.  Of course I'm also anti-RGB lighting that seems to be all the rage now so what do I know about design?  :D 

The bigger problem for me is the "Sony" label, especially with the admittedly nicer-looking "Digital" model.  Yeah, sure, download only.  From Sony.  What could go wrong?  For me I'm much more interested in the PS5 as an indicator of where the industry is going than in actually owning one myself.  Thanks, but I'll probably be sticking with a PC.  A nice 4th-gen Ryzen, with gobs of RAM, and an RDNA2/3 GPU.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :)  I figure I've got a year or maybe two before I have to upgrade my current system.

Can't deny there a nice home build PC is the way to go. I have always preferred PCs over consoles. Though I am a collector of many things geek so consoles are on that list. So I'll get it eventually. Sony is defiantly not the nicest label when it comes to their entertainment sector either. They have effected the anime, and anime games industry quite a bit in ways I won't get into here. Though for me at least censorship is not ok in art. 

• 3 weeks later...

$114,000 (US) for a Super Mario Bros cart???  Who pays that for a game cart??  Some people have way more money than sense.

Then again this is why I'm not a millionaire.  I never would have considered a game cart as part of my retirement plan.  I would have just taken it out of the box and played it.  And probably by now I'd no longer have the console it plugged into and therefore have thrown it away.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, not really into arena-style games like COD.  Multiplayer/co-op is fine but I'm more a PvE kind of guy, and I prefer games with crafting/building.  I don't mind a little gunplay - currently I'm having fun with Empyrion for instance - but games like COD where you just kill everyone and blow stuff up always seemed kind of pointless to me.  I just can't get into them.

Someday I'm going to play Journey.  Unfortunately I'd heard the PC version has real problems with the sound.  Since sound was THE inspiration for the console version (Grammy nomination and everything) I've been holding off until that gets fixed.  Another problem for me has been that it is Windows-only if you don't have a PS, but maybe with Steam's Proton?  Well, maybe someday.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Empyrion is being obnoxious today.  I somehow triggered the AI to a new level and now my base is getting attacked more often and by tougher opponents.  I used to get only 3 drones attacking at a time for instance - sometimes only 2 - but now I've been hit by 4-drone attack waves 3 times in a row.  Also, the area around my base is spawning tougher monsters, especially at night.

Now, I don't have any problem fending them off (so far) but the thing is that I like building.  I'm crap with the making things look pretty part but I do find a lot of satisfaction in building something that works.  In kerbal space program I spend twice as much time in the Vehicle Assembly Building and Space Plane Hangar designing vehicles as I do actually launching the vehicles and flying them on missions.  The thing about KSP is that in KSP time stops in the VAB and SPH.  I can spend days in there without being bothered by things like missed maneuver events or launch window opportunities.  Nothing is shooting at you in KSP either. 

Empy is more like Minecraft.  There is no separate build system.  Everything is realtime.  To me drone attacks in empy are like the occasional creeper in mc.  When I want to build something then I'm always getting interrupted by drones, or troop invasions, or having to eat, or running out of build materials.  The other thing is that in KSP a vehicle does not actually use resources until it is launched.  In Empy, like in minecraft, there are no in-game designing aids per-sé, just block placement, which takes resources when you go to place the block.  To even try to build something big takes a lot of resources.  (There's also a creative mode like in mc and you can save designs there to be loaded in the "survival" mode but it is a pain to keep switching.  I tend to stay in "survival" so I can immediately go try out my designs "for real".  I do the same thing in mc... play survival, then get annoyed when creepers or other hostile mobs bother me while I'm trying to build, or when I run out of blocks to build with.  Maybe I'm just a masochist.  :))

I thought about just surrounding my base with automatic missile launchers and letting them deal with the drone threat while I build stuff, but after building all those I wouldn't have anything left to build with:(  It would also take additional resources on an ongoing basis to keep them supplied with ammo.  In Empyrion the automatic turrets aren't very good at using ammo effectively.  They seem more about throwing up a wall of bullets than making sure each bullet does damage.  The automatic defences do help but I find it a better use of resources to take care of things myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Flawless day-one game support for the new AMD 6800 GFX card(s) .. on linux?  Yes.  Now even gamers can forget the Windows tax.  Buy your own CPU/MB/RAM hardware, slot in your RX6800 (or 6800XT if you have the cash to burn), install the mainline Ubuntu 20.04 with its open-source "amdgpu" driver, install steam, and game on. 

I have to admit this is tempting.  Good linux support is one reason that I've stuck with my "old" RX480 card so long.  Not that there haven't been well-supported cards since the '480, but get past that and we have to talk price/performance. 

And speaking of that $600 price, I'll definitely be wanting to see that come down a bit.  I can wait.  (In fact, I'd have to... like the video mentions nobody can actually buy these cards now anyway due to low inventory.  I could not find any in stock at three places I looked, including Amazon and Newegg.)  I think I'll check again when the after-holiday inventory-clearance sales hit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a fan of retro games, have to admit this looks kinda cool, though amplifying the originals’ sometimes frustrating level of difficulty 

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/01/15/celebrate-35-years-of-ghosts-n-goblins-with-resurrection-dev-diary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Zila said:

It looks really interesting! Unpopular opinion but XII was one of my favorites in a long while and the new one reminds me a lot of that title for some reason. 

Hope it turns out good! 🙂

Yea i think once we see some game play we'll see if it will be worth playing in my opinion 

• 2 weeks later...

April f..irst saw the release of optifine2 for minecraft*.  My favorite feature?  The "extreme" graphics setting looks just like Valheim.  :D

*not really  ;)

On 4/8/2021 at 2:27 AM, HansFried said:

Extreme setting creates new gameplay hahaha. But honestly though, was that really Valheim? I don't remember it looking that good from the Youtube videos I've watched..

Likely depends on the system & GPU to a large extent but I've got the early access version and yes, that's pretty much what it looks like on my system.  (Ryzen 7 2700X, Radeon RX 480, 5.4 linux kernel with open-source AMDGPU driver)

Screenshots:

20210315211433_1.thumb.jpg.0b5eddd5065455df00fe9d10c0bc8b4d.jpg2030228910_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0620-09-53.thumb.png.9ea80109c16379b59a43e25b2f676803.png2038910020_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0518-01-24.thumb.png.9a71a273a1a411559f7752002d574518.png1993318448_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0616-28-02.thumb.png.e2a16e090190f5d9eeabbe9ac54ccb1b.png

Edited by efaardvark

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...