Lelouch

Gaming chat

On 5/13/2020 at 6:36 PM, efaardvark said:

If this is a preview of stuff we'll see on PS5....

and btw the licencing terms have changed for unreal engine as well.  Now it is free for the first $1M of revenue...
https://youtu.be/dK9JytK_sBg

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

I've seen a preview of another game looks amazing 

22 minutes ago, Geano said:

I must have skimmed right over this when reading this topic earlier. I saw this from a few YouTubers I follow. It is quite honestly amazing. Though I am sure you'll agree with me that its not what we'll be seeing out of the gate when these consoles release this year, or next. Though should be awesome once we do start seeing more developers utilize its features.

The latest I've seen so far on the the PS5 specs say it will be using an AMD 8-core/16-thread "Zen2" CPU running at 3.5Ghz (roughly on par with a Ryzen 7 3700X), a 36-core RDNA2 GPU (no AMD GPUs use this yet), and 16GB GDDR6 RAM.  The console crowd is much better at utilizing all the power available to them too.  PC programmers are lazy and don't optimize nearly as much. :D  I'm thinking it should have the processing power of a current mid-range PC specs-wise.  It could be that the top-tier PS5 games are pretty close to that demo.  At the least it should be as good as an i7 or Ryzen 7 with a decent RTX video card.  The demo itself claims to be a real-time demo running on actual hardware.  I can believe that, especially if they also have a high-speed NVME SSD in there instead of the traditional spinny-disc HD.

There's also this video.  It is kind of long but there's a bunch of juicy hardware-level info in there..

• Like 1

Can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077. Enough ambition has been built around it and what I was already somewhat interested in from the beginning has my full attention now. 

Ghost of Tsushima is looking beautiful as well. There's definitely some familiar influences in gameplay but I'm eager for the Samurai Cinema and Photo modes! 

• Like 1

I too am very interested in what  Cyberpunk 2077 is going to bring us. I am fairly new to the series though it looks awesome, and has been in development for quite some time now.

Looks like we will have to wait to see the ps5 console and controller  :(

Ubuntu annoyance number .... heck, I've stopped counting:

Optifine for minecraft 1.15.2 is out in preview form so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I'd had "ray tracing" (geometry shaders) running for 1.12, and my CPU & GPU are strong enough to make that sort of thing playable.  It was a bit fiddly to get running well enough with my "old" RX480 card, but once set up it was pretty neat.  (Yes, you can have "RT" Minecraft without needing a $700 "RTX" GFX card, which is what they were selling for when I got my setup going.) 

So along comes Ubuntu 20.04.  After I'd installed 20.04 I noticed that my old minecraft icon that I'd used to start minecraft from the desktop was missing.  I thought it had deleted my stuff but I kind of shrugged it off and stuck with vanilla, annoyed with ubuntu once again but not enough to want to tackle setting everything up again just for an old version that I don't even really play anymore.  Minecraft was there in the Ubuntu repository (app store) so I went ahead and (re)installed it.  Naturally it also set up things so that I got a shiny new Minecraft icon on the desktop, and running that gave me the new, pre-packaged - i.e. vanilla default - minecraft.  Lately the only time I play mc is on my brother's realms server so having access to the latest version is all I really need anyway.  My new Ryzen system doesn't need optifine's performance either.  I was just using it for the hooks to the "RT" shaders.  Annoying, but ok.. I'll live with it.

But then seeing the 1.15.2 preview got me wanting to see "ray traced" minecraft again.  So I downloaded and installed the optifine preview.  The installer said "success".  Yay!  However, upon running the mc launcher it did not contain the expected "optifine" installation that optifine always sets up for you. 

Hmmmm...

Turns out that while I'd previously had the minecraft stuff configured in the standard $user/.minecraft directory, Ubuntu decided to repackage minecraft and make their version a "snap" package.. and install it in an obscure directory named $user/snap/mc-installer/current/.minecraft.  Ubuntu hadn't deleted my old setup after all.  It was still there, taking up space but unused.  Because it was there and in the standard place the optifine installer automatically found my old minecraft setup and dutifully installed the preview alongside my old 1.12 setup.  And claimed success.  But because ubuntu decided to do their own thing none of that was accessible to the unsuspecting user, and running the ubuntu-configured minecraft launcher of course didn't have my changes because their stuff all points to their new obscure directory that they don't inform the user of when they set it up.  :veryangry::veryangry::veryangry::veryangry:

That said, and on the plus side, Ubuntu did do a decent job of making default minecraft an easy install.  If all you want to do is get online with a bunch of your minecraft Realms buddies then it is literally a 30-second install from the app store via the "Ubuntu Software" installer and a double-click on the minecraft icon from the desktop.

Just an ad basically, but it is official "news" in some sense..

• Like 1

I saw the whole live I almost cried when I saw the ps5 console it's amazing 

Posted (edited)

LTT did a piece on the state of gaming on linux a few days ago that I have to comment on.

First off, as a long-time linux user I wouldn't use the term "better".  (Seriously, LTT is getting more click-baity every day.)  As always it depends on your specific requirements.  If the particular game that you like is one of those on the "restricted" list then (it sucks to be you but) sorry, you're not going to get it running on anything but Windows.  If you like games from certain companies (EA, Blizzard, I'm looking at you).. in that case linux is INappropriate for you.  At least as far as games go.

That said, I will also say that quite a few games DO work perfectly fine on linux.  Most of them in fact.  Lately I've been spending quite a lot of my free time playing games like Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, and Minecraft.  This includes many mods such as Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock on KSP, traffic manager and moveit on C:S, and optifine and various texture & shader packs on Minecraft. (I actually had the whole RLCraft modpack running on MC for a while.  I'm considering tackling the Rebirth of the Night pack the next time I'm feeling ambitious.)  In particular, there is a native Steam client on Linux and it runs just as you would expect.  That's how I got C:S (+mods) installed.  If your favorite game(s) are on Steam then your chances are good that it/they will also run on linux.  Even Steam games that are technically Windows-only will likely run on linux using Steam's Proton emulation.  (Maybe a 60/40 split.)  Provided they're not from EA, Activision, or Ubisoft of course. :veryangry::veryangry::veryangry:

Edited by efaardvark

On 6/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, efaardvark said:

Just an ad basically, but it is official "news" in some sense..

I'm personally not a fan of the chassis of this console I know its just first version release, and there will be others soon. Though this color just bugs me. Though under the hood it is fairly impressive from what I have read.  

3 hours ago, Geano said:

I'm personally not a fan of the chassis of this console I know its just first version release, and there will be others soon. Though this color just bugs me. Though under the hood it is fairly impressive from what I have read.  

I'm ok with the looks, even the "pregnant" one with the disc slot.  Of course I'm also anti-RGB lighting that seems to be all the rage now so what do I know about design?  :D 

The bigger problem for me is the "Sony" label, especially with the admittedly nicer-looking "Digital" model.  Yeah, sure, download only.  From Sony.  What could go wrong?  For me I'm much more interested in the PS5 as an indicator of where the industry is going than in actually owning one myself.  Thanks, but I'll probably be sticking with a PC.  A nice 4th-gen Ryzen, with gobs of RAM, and an RDNA2/3 GPU.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :)  I figure I've got a year or maybe two before I have to upgrade my current system.

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I'm ok with the looks, even the "pregnant" one with the disc slot.  Of course I'm also anti-RGB lighting that seems to be all the rage now so what do I know about design?  :D 

The bigger problem for me is the "Sony" label, especially with the admittedly nicer-looking "Digital" model.  Yeah, sure, download only.  From Sony.  What could go wrong?  For me I'm much more interested in the PS5 as an indicator of where the industry is going than in actually owning one myself.  Thanks, but I'll probably be sticking with a PC.  A nice 4th-gen Ryzen, with gobs of RAM, and an RDNA2/3 GPU.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :)  I figure I've got a year or maybe two before I have to upgrade my current system.

Can't deny there a nice home build PC is the way to go. I have always preferred PCs over consoles. Though I am a collector of many things geek so consoles are on that list. So I'll get it eventually. Sony is defiantly not the nicest label when it comes to their entertainment sector either. They have effected the anime, and anime games industry quite a bit in ways I won't get into here. Though for me at least censorship is not ok in art. 

Posted (edited)

For Oregon Trail fans (my brother's fault)...

DissinTerry.jpg

Edited by efaardvark
  • Funny 1

$114,000 (US) for a Super Mario Bros cart???  Who pays that for a game cart??  Some people have way more money than sense.

Then again this is why I'm not a millionaire.  I never would have considered a game cart as part of my retirement plan.  I would have just taken it out of the box and played it.  And probably by now I'd no longer have the console it plugged into and therefore have thrown it away.

• Agree 1

What are your thoughts on black ops, cold war those that play call of duty? 

Sorry, not really into arena-style games like COD.  Multiplayer/co-op is fine but I'm more a PvE kind of guy, and I prefer games with crafting/building.  I don't mind a little gunplay - currently I'm having fun with Empyrion for instance - but games like COD where you just kill everyone and blow stuff up always seemed kind of pointless to me.  I just can't get into them.

Someday I'm going to play Journey.  Unfortunately I'd heard the PC version has real problems with the sound.  Since sound was THE inspiration for the console version (Grammy nomination and everything) I've been holding off until that gets fixed.  Another problem for me has been that it is Windows-only if you don't have a PS, but maybe with Steam's Proton?  Well, maybe someday.

• Like 1

Another look at the PS5 experience...

Empyrion is being obnoxious today.  I somehow triggered the AI to a new level and now my base is getting attacked more often and by tougher opponents.  I used to get only 3 drones attacking at a time for instance - sometimes only 2 - but now I've been hit by 4-drone attack waves 3 times in a row.  Also, the area around my base is spawning tougher monsters, especially at night.

Now, I don't have any problem fending them off (so far) but the thing is that I like building.  I'm crap with the making things look pretty part but I do find a lot of satisfaction in building something that works.  In kerbal space program I spend twice as much time in the Vehicle Assembly Building and Space Plane Hangar designing vehicles as I do actually launching the vehicles and flying them on missions.  The thing about KSP is that in KSP time stops in the VAB and SPH.  I can spend days in there without being bothered by things like missed maneuver events or launch window opportunities.  Nothing is shooting at you in KSP either. 

Empy is more like Minecraft.  There is no separate build system.  Everything is realtime.  To me drone attacks in empy are like the occasional creeper in mc.  When I want to build something then I'm always getting interrupted by drones, or troop invasions, or having to eat, or running out of build materials.  The other thing is that in KSP a vehicle does not actually use resources until it is launched.  In Empy, like in minecraft, there are no in-game designing aids per-sé, just block placement, which takes resources when you go to place the block.  To even try to build something big takes a lot of resources.  (There's also a creative mode like in mc and you can save designs there to be loaded in the "survival" mode but it is a pain to keep switching.  I tend to stay in "survival" so I can immediately go try out my designs "for real".  I do the same thing in mc... play survival, then get annoyed when creepers or other hostile mobs bother me while I'm trying to build, or when I run out of blocks to build with.  Maybe I'm just a masochist.  :))

I thought about just surrounding my base with automatic missile launchers and letting them deal with the drone threat while I build stuff, but after building all those I wouldn't have anything left to build with:(  It would also take additional resources on an ongoing basis to keep them supplied with ammo.  In Empyrion the automatic turrets aren't very good at using ammo effectively.  They seem more about throwing up a wall of bullets than making sure each bullet does damage.  The automatic defences do help but I find it a better use of resources to take care of things myself.