Gaming chat

Lelouch

Flawless day-one game support for the new AMD 6800 GFX card(s) .. on linux?  Yes.  Now even gamers can forget the Windows tax.  Buy your own CPU/MB/RAM hardware, slot in your RX6800 (or 6800XT if you have the cash to burn), install the mainline Ubuntu 20.04 with its open-source "amdgpu" driver, install steam, and game on. 

I have to admit this is tempting.  Good linux support is one reason that I've stuck with my "old" RX480 card so long.  Not that there haven't been well-supported cards since the '480, but get past that and we have to talk price/performance. 

And speaking of that $600 price, I'll definitely be wanting to see that come down a bit.  I can wait.  (In fact, I'd have to... like the video mentions nobody can actually buy these cards now anyway due to low inventory.  I could not find any in stock at three places I looked, including Amazon and Newegg.)  I think I'll check again when the after-holiday inventory-clearance sales hit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a fan of retro games, have to admit this looks kinda cool, though amplifying the originals’ sometimes frustrating level of difficulty 

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/01/15/celebrate-35-years-of-ghosts-n-goblins-with-resurrection-dev-diary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2021 at 3:52 PM, Lelouch said:

What's your thoughts on the new final fantasy game coming out?

It looks really interesting! Unpopular opinion but XII was one of my favorites in a long while and the new one reminds me a lot of that title for some reason. 

Hope it turns out good! 🙂

4 hours ago, Zila said:

It looks really interesting! Unpopular opinion but XII was one of my favorites in a long while and the new one reminds me a lot of that title for some reason. 

Hope it turns out good! 🙂

Yea i think once we see some game play we'll see if it will be worth playing in my opinion 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

April f..irst saw the release of optifine2 for minecraft*.  My favorite feature?  The "extreme" graphics setting looks just like Valheim.  :D

*not really  ;)

On 4/8/2021 at 2:27 AM, HansFried said:

Extreme setting creates new gameplay hahaha. But honestly though, was that really Valheim? I don't remember it looking that good from the Youtube videos I've watched..

Likely depends on the system & GPU to a large extent but I've got the early access version and yes, that's pretty much what it looks like on my system.  (Ryzen 7 2700X, Radeon RX 480, 5.4 linux kernel with open-source AMDGPU driver)

Screenshots:

20210315211433_1.thumb.jpg.0b5eddd5065455df00fe9d10c0bc8b4d.jpg2030228910_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0620-09-53.thumb.png.9ea80109c16379b59a43e25b2f676803.png2038910020_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0518-01-24.thumb.png.9a71a273a1a411559f7752002d574518.png1993318448_Screenshotfrom2021-03-0616-28-02.thumb.png.e2a16e090190f5d9eeabbe9ac54ccb1b.png

Edited by efaardvark

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, Lelouch said:

What are thoughts on resident evil village 🤔?

Loving it so far. I'm currently at Heisenberg's factory. Visually, it's a beautiful game! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything interesting out of E3 this year?  I’ve been trying to find time to watch the newsfeed(s) but  so far not having much luck.  I’m also not a big console player (SIL has an Xbox, brother has a PS but I just have an old GBA) so most of it is  kinda n/a as far as I’m concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

So the last (pre 2.0) version of Kerbal Space Program just dropped.  There's now an alarm clock and a transfer orbit calculator built into my fav game!  Basically the Kerbal Alarm Clock and Transfer Window Planner mods are now part of stock.  These are two mods that I don't play without so I'm completely in favor of the change.  KAC especially should have been there long ago but at least it finally happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I so want to get the Cottage Living expansion for the Sims 4! There’s other Sims 4 stuff I want as well, but it’s gonna be a long time before I can buy more for that haha. 

Not too long ago I got Cities: Skylines for super cheap through Steam. Haven’t actually played it yet (I’m on a Sims kick at the moment), but I’m suuuuuper looking forward to it. 

Hmm, I should probably also see if I can restore my village in Banished. It got slammed by a couple tornadoes the last time I played, ruined a whole bunch of buildings and very sizeable chunk of the population. I miiiiiight be able to just barely save my village and rebuild, takes some serious priority management though, which is why I stopped playing for awhile hahaha!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, Kohloo said:

I so want to get the Cottage Living expansion for the Sims 4! There’s other Sims 4 stuff I want as well, but it’s gonna be a long time before I can buy more for that haha. 

Not too long ago I got Cities: Skylines for super cheap through Steam. Haven’t actually played it yet (I’m on a Sims kick at the moment), but I’m suuuuuper looking forward to it. 

Hmm, I should probably also see if I can restore my village in Banished. It got slammed by a couple tornadoes the last time I played, ruined a whole bunch of buildings and very sizeable chunk of the population. I miiiiiight be able to just barely save my village and rebuild, takes some serious priority management though, which is why I stopped playing for awhile hahaha!

Never could get into The Sims games.  Might be partly due to an old house (irl) that constantly needs repairs & upgrades.  Seemed kinda.. redundant.  :D

C:S otoh.. that’s one of my favorites.  I played SimCity to death.  I was there at the beginning with the original Maxis version on the Amiga platform and snatched up most of the non-windos versions as soon as they were released.  I had the Loki port to Linux of SC3K, and I even had a mobile version on the old Palm Pilot. 😮  I had to give SC up due to EA’s BS but I grabbed Cities: Skylines up as soon as it came out.  Never looked back.

Works ok on Linux via Steam btw.  I ran into some issues early on but lately it has been working much better.  (Knock on wood.)  Not a big fan of DLC but I do have a few key bits like sunset harbor, industries, green cities, and mass transit that improve gameplay.  (IMO anyway)  And after dark just for the eye candy.  A few key mods like node controller, anarchy, move it, and TM:PE as well.

Now if I could just find some time to play it.  😭  

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Never could get into The Sims games.  Might be partly due to an old house (irl) that constantly needs repairs & upgrades.  Seemed kinda.. redundant.  :D

C:S otoh.. that’s one of my favorites.  I played SimCity to death.  I was there at the beginning with the original Maxis version on the Amiga platform and snatched up most of the non-windos versions as soon as they were released.  I had the Loki port to Linux of SC3K, and I even had a mobile version on the old Palm Pilot. 😮  I had to give SC up due to EA’s BS but I grabbed Cities: Skylines up as soon as it came out.  Never looked back.

Works ok on Linux via Steam btw.  I ran into some issues early on but lately it has been working much better.  (Knock on wood.)  Not a big fan of DLC but I do have a few key bits like sunset harbor, industries, green cities, and mass transit that improve gameplay.  (IMO anyway)  And after dark just for the eye candy.  A few key mods like node controller, anarchy, move it, and TM:PE as well.

Now if I could just find some time to play it.  😭  

Hopefully you get some time soon! 

I didn’t get any DLC with it because I couldn’t afford to and I figured I should probably learn how to play the darn thing first before even thinking about DLC haha. And even then I’ll probably explore mods waaaaay before I think about DLC lmao!

I’ve heard great things about the game, and it totally looks like something I can get absorbed into, so I’m pretty stoked I got it finally <3