Fillers how do you deal with them?

Yuuki_Radosian

How do you deal with fillers in anime?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you deal with fillers in anime?

• Don't watch: use a filler guide and bust your way through to the actual anime
    • Watch: because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the main plot
    • Skip: there may be something important there (so just have a quick peak)

I think some fillers can hold some importance to a series. It can help display character growth, in my opinion. And it can also be a brief comic relief from some more serious topics. I will admit that certain series get on my nerves for too much filler. But generally speaking, I enjoy some filler. It helps see characters in different perspectives. Like seeing different sides to people. As long as it does not go overboard, I'm content and will watch them regardless.

I think it depends on what type of filler it is. There are two types to me. Anime original stuff which may focus on a character and then the kind that stretches out a canon arc. I hate the latter. I'll try to explain with examples.

DBZ: This series had both. The anime original eps they did were partially entertaining, like when Goku and Piccolo were learning to drive. I thought it was funny and lighthearted. It was a nice break from the main plot, focusing on the characters.

The eps that stretched the plot out...in other words, padding, is what I had a problem with. Planet Namek, anyone? Five minutes until it blows....20 eps later....now three minutes are left. That type of filler I hate.

Sailor Moon: For this series, I felt the filler helped it, which showed the girls had lives outside of their "Sailor duties". It made the characters more relatable and interesting, imo. This is why I grew bored of Sailor Moon Crystal, despite it being closer to the manga. It felt like all work and no play for the characters, which I found boring. None of the girls were engaging to me at all.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

i often watch them even though im not the biggest fan of them.

they are sometimes made for character development and some are just comedy based.

i often give it a try, especially if its a series where im up to date and i have to wait a week for the next eps anyway

I just watch the filler. But then, I don't encounter it all too often because I tend to watch shorter series. I encounter it more often in manga. But really, I'm not bothered all that much by watching filler.

• Agree 1

I'm fine with fillers. Not like I have anything to do during my time waiting for the next episodes for other anime.

Other than that, some fillers help with character development which in turn, helps me choose a waifu. hoho.

• Like 1

For me it depends on the series. Some series such as Little Busters! or Kanon 2006 are filled with them but that's what it make them great, it helps to develop the story in a more *relax* way...

In the other hand, I usually hate fillers in forever-airing series such as One Piece or Naruto. It's hard to believe that many people can handle all that number of chapters...

Btw, who is your waifu? c:

• 5 weeks later...
[ATTACH=full]18924[/ATTACH]

If you have ever watched one of the big three or any anime that's long enough to have a filler saga that's as long as another series that you've watched then you know how annoying fillers are .

If your a One piece , Naruto or Bleach fan you know all to well how fillers can make you wan't to kill.

So my question to all of you is

How do you deal with Fillers?

there are a few ways that I know that help deal with fillers

1. Don't watch them , use a filler guide and bust your way through to the actual anime

2. Watch them , because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the next bit in the main plot

3. Skip through them , there may be something important there (so just have a quick peak)

I watch every filler , I hate leaving gaps , even if the filler has absolutely no point I watch them just to make sure.

I don't mind watching filler episodes because then I can experience the entire series and encounter unexpected surprises.

Edited by Guest

I ... don't actually watch any series that are long enough to have much in the way of fillers. The only anime of any 'tremendous' length that I've watched to completion is Monster, at roughly seventy episodes. Whenever I try to watch super long things like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc, I generally end up dropping them before the end of the first episode for one reason or another.

Long-winded shonen stuff doesn't really resonate with me, to be honest... nor do shows that feature endless cycles of ...

1. Powerful enemy is encountered.
  2. Character(s) acquire amazing power.
  3. Character(s) defeat enemy.
  4. More powerful enemy is encountered.
  5. Character(s) must acquire even more amazing power.
  6. Character(s) acquire even more amazing power.
  7. More powerful enemy is defeated.
  8. Etc.

With that in mind I never really encounter any filler to speak of. Hypothetically, however, I'd be okay with filler episodes that offer quality character development, additional (relevant) lore, amusing situations, and things of that sort - so long as no sharks are jumped, and preferably with direct input from the creators of the source material where applicable. If an entire filler arc is required, I'll probably pass and possibly just drop the show entirely unless the whole thing is made of pure unrelenting gold.

I didn't ask to be obnoxiously picky. I was born this way. ;_;

yet I'm the type who even when I get to fillers that annoy me being time wasters I still watch thru them just in case I might miss some thing integral to the show as well as the fact that I like to watch the complete show

and besides I usually don't realise it's a filler u kill it's too late any ways

• Agree 1

I don't mind fillers. People may hate me saying it, but the fillers are what got me into most of the characters in Naruto. I don't think there was enough time to focus on them without those, and so when some of them died, it felt like it held more weight than it would have otherwise. Also, there's something to say about Bleach's first filler story, because it was done incredibly well and actually got me back into the anime. I don't think a filler has ever done that before.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic