• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

VMWare is not an os.

Yup, I know.

VMware itself is not an OS but it can be installed on many major OS to run guest OS inside.

VMware also has it OS versions called VMware ESX / ESXi if I remember correctly.

But they are not suitable for desktop use anyway.

I run Ubuntu on one desktop which I love. I just started using it and I have not run linux in over ten years. It's been fun so far. ^_^

I have Windows 7 on the other. I also have an older Mac laptop that runs OSX 10.6.

For those that have Windows 10 or have played with it is it worth getting? I have gotten some mixed reviews so I haven't upgrated yet.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

I run Ubuntu on one desktop which I love. I just started using it and I have not run linux in over ten years. It's been fun so far. ^_^

I have Windows 7 on the other. I also have an older Mac laptop that runs OSX 10.6.

For those that have Windows 10 or have played with it is it worth getting? I have gotten some mixed reviews so I haven't upgrated yet.

I am a windows 10 beta tester, and can say that it was actually more stable before the release. :P I would stick with win7 if I were you, or upgrade to 8 as its much more stable than 10.

Yup, I know.

VMware itself is not an OS but it can be installed on many major OS to run guest OS inside.

VMware also has it OS versions called VMware ESX / ESXi if I remember correctly.

But they are not suitable for desktop use anyway.

Yeah I know that, but I think the thread ask what OS do you run.

So that means what OS do you run in your VMWare. Or just your main OS.

• 4 weeks later...

Windows 10, Been through XP, VISTA, 7, 8.1 and 10 and after it all I chose Windows 10 it is solid and people say bad things about it because they are afraid of new things. I also tried Linux Mint but wasn't a fan of it.

Windows 10, Been through XP, VISTA, 7, 8.1 and 10 and after it all I chose Windows 10 it is solid and people say bad things about it because they are afraid of new things. I also tried Linux Mint but wasn't a fan of it.

Ah, yes, I remember back in the day when LM was actually good. Sadly, we're long past then. I would probably suggest trying Netrunner or Korora if you are new to linux. Also, I'm glad Win10 is actually working out for you.

Ah, yes, I remember back in the day when LM was actually good. Sadly, we're long past then. I would probably suggest trying Netrunner or Korora if you are new to linux. Also, I'm glad Win10 is actually working out for you.

Well it was for my exam so I couldn't change it but it was really annoying a lot of code glitches etc. I will keep those OS in mind through.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I prefer Windows over any other OS. It is the simplest and everyone uses it thus it is easier to learn only one OS over multiple ones. Mac I have never been a fan of for various reasons. One being the brand. Linux I am quite interested in. The complexity of it draws me in. I do believe also that since there are fewer users, it is rarer to find viruses and such on your system.

One being the brand. Linux I am quite interested in. The complexity of it draws me in. I do believe also that since there are fewer users, it is rarer to find viruses and such on your system.

Yes, viruses are rarer, its just that they aren't non existent, so you still need to be cautious. However, unlike Windows, if an application in Linux has a good reputation, there is a much better chance its not a virus than if it was on Windows (due to most things being open source on linux). I would recommend trying out Korora or openSUSE if you're interested in trying Linux. (I don't recommend Netrunner anymore, as they've recently gone downhill in my opinion).

Yes, viruses are rarer, its just that they aren't non existent, so you still need to be cautious. However, unlike Windows, if an application in Linux has a good reputation, there is a much better chance its not a virus than if it was on Windows (due to most things being open source on linux). I would recommend trying out Korora or openSUSE if you're interested in trying Linux. (I don't recommend Netrunner anymore, as they've recently gone downhill in my opinion).

As i said, I am interested in Linux but I dont use it. I dont know how to do coding and such so it would not end well for me. Just as a side note, did you know you could install Linux on PS4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Windows 10. I used to use Linux, the type of Linux I would use is Ubuntu. But I always had issues with my wifi adapter, it would always disconnect when using Ubuntu; so I ended up settling for Windows 8 and then Windows 10. I haven't used Ubuntu in a long time and these days I have no interest in using two operating, as I don't feel I could use Ubuntu exclusively at this point; especially if something went wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

my main pc and laptop use windows 8.1 pro and I have another pc on windows 7

the main reason I haven't gone windows 10 is my main pc us a htpc with free to air tuner card and I run windows media centre and I haven't found a replacement I like to add to the upgrade OS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I used to be an Apple person until I switched back to Windows when Windows 10 came out, since Apple is not going in a direction that I like, but I do have a macOS Sierra VM, since I need a later version of iTunes than what works for how I prefer to buy anime.

I do like using the Debian family of Linux distros though, since getting them up and running are fairly easy, even if all I need is a dev server.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm boring. I use standard Unity Ubuntu with Ubuntu Studio on the side*.

Managed to convert my mum and grandma to Linux too, they both use Ubuntu.

Why not Windows? Well personally I find Ubuntu more responsive, cooler-looking and I think closed-source sucks.

Oh and who even pretends to have time for "Configuring Windows Updates" every 5 seconds like come on why do you have to do this right now?!!

*Literally on the side, on the right in the USB port on my laptop. Or any laptop really that's kind of the point. Use it for music and photo production and just as a general middle-finger to any Windows PC someone wants me to use. A portable desktop on a tiny flashdrive that's still faster that Windows. Except XP. XP rocks.

• 4 weeks later...
I used to be an Apple person until I switched back to Windows when Windows 10 came out, since Apple is not going in a direction that I like, but I do have a macOS Sierra VM, since I need a later version of iTunes than what works for how I prefer to buy anime.

I do like using the Debian family of Linux distros though, since getting them up and running are fairly easy, even if all I need is a dev server.

I like you, we think alike.

I too used Mac OS X up until Windows 10. Now, I'm a windows fangirl (just like I started, lol).

For Linux, I love Debian, Mint, and Ubuntu - especially Debian itself. For a lightweight server OS, it's really hard to beat them unless you decide to subject yourself to the multifold joys of trying to setup one of the BSDs on potentially incompatible hardware. (Good luck with those firewalls!)