NEET?

Manifesto

@ssjup81: Basically means you aren't making money or studying for a career. It's an acronym for not in employment, education, or training.

I dropped out of school when I was fourteen, but I did a lot of self studying and research. I'm freelancing now so I'm technically not NEET, but some days it feels like that. Hoping to change that soon once I have a stable business.

Oh, I understand. Well, in that case, I'd have to say that I'm not NEET, as I live in Japan and unless you're ding one of those things to satisfy immigration and visa requirements, you can't live here, unless you're a citizen, of course or married to someone Japanese and you can automatically qualify for a spousal visa.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heh... Well, what can I say? I've been a NEET for more than a year now. I lost count. Two years reaching this May, maybe? I forgot.

The last time I remember being associated with some kind of employment or schooling was some time last year, when my father's student (he's a martial arts instructor with many loyal students) recommended me a temporary job. I managed to earn a good sum of money doing some pretty easy stuff as a lab assistant, like packing scientific equipment into little plastic packets. But before that, my NEET lifestyle began with the departure from my national conscription, where every male 18 or older were expected to serve the army. After I left that hellhole, I decided to take a long vacation. Guess I went a little overboard...

To be honest, it's not that uncommon for people to be NEETs in Singapore, or for them to be living with their parents in adulthood (it's a small country, after all; there are only so many places you could move out to and the government simply couldn't afford having that many residential households). People can still be as self-righteous as the Japanese sometimes when it comes to these stuff, but we don't usually scold strangers on the street for having this kind of lifestyle, as we mind our own business. We have a pretty casual attitude towards this.

I might try to get into a college sometime next year... or maybe the year after that. I'll see. I didn't do too well with my grades in the last college, so I might have some trouble with that, which is another reason why I'm uninterested in getting into another college only to be rejected with disappointment.

Heh... Well, what can I say? I've been a NEET for more than a year now. I lost count. Two years reaching this May, maybe? I forgot.

Same, actually. May will mark two years since I became a NEET, x.x

Also, good luck with college if you go back, :)

*gives you a big, warm and loving hug*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I remember being associated with some kind of employment or schooling was some time last year, when my father's student (he's a martial arts instructor with many loyal students) recommended me a temporary job. I managed to earn a good sum of money doing some pretty easy stuff as a lab assistant, like packing scientific equipment into little plastic packets. But before that, my NEET lifestyle began with the departure from my national conscription, where every male 18 or older were expected to serve the army. After I left that hellhole, I decided to take a long vacation. Guess I went a little overboard...

To be honest, it's not that uncommon for people to be NEETs in Singapore, or for them to be living with their parents in adulthood (it's a small country, after all; there are only so many places you could move out to and the government simply couldn't afford having that many residential households). People can still be as self-righteous as the Japanese sometimes when it comes to these stuff, but we don't usually scold strangers on the street for having this kind of lifestyle, as we mind our own business. We have a pretty casual attitude towards this.

I might try to get into a college sometime next year... or maybe the year after that. I'll see. I didn't do too well with my grades in the last college, so I might have some trouble with that, which is another reason why I'm uninterested in getting into another college only to be rejected with disappointment.

But people live with parents into adulthood as well. It's super common here and not looked down on at all. It's not like the US where it's generally considered to be embarrassing to be living with your parents over the age of 18, but given the tough times, that's been changing.

But people live with parents into adulthood as well. It's super common here and not looked down on at all. It's not like the US where it's generally considered to be embarrassing to be living with your parents over the age of 18, but given the tough times, that's been changing.

Oh, you mean Japan? Yeah, I had thought that you guys frown upon 'otaku' shut-ins who live with their parents and all. I have heard about the tough times that's been occurring recently, so what you said makes sense.

Oh, you mean Japan? Yeah, I had thought that you guys frown upon 'otaku' shut-ins who live with their parents and all. I have heard about the tough times that's been occurring recently, so what you said makes sense.

I'm not Japanese, though. I'm from the US. ^^ I only work here.

I think shut-ins aren't looked upon favorably here because they're not fully contributing to society. Otaku...seems to be a mixed bag, but that's my observation as an outsider looking in.

Does job-seeking count?

After I graduated from university I was job seeking for 6 months. Very frustrating experience. I was getting interviews but just couldn't nail them for months. Just trying to get my foot in the door into the ICT industry was tough. I made some bad decisions during my studies not to start job seeking earlier and was a bit slack overall with my networking.

In the end I did some volunteer experience with an organisation to gain the experience I needed.