Anime Recommendations Please?

Kei Nagai

So I am looking for new anime to watch.

I have been on a binge since 2015 began....and I want more.

Presently watching: Parasyte & Aldnoah.Zero

My favorites:

1. Attack on titan

2. Deadman wonderland

3. Hunter X Hunter(2011)

4. No. 6

5. Black Butler(kind of......Sebastian is too op to me)

6. Soul Eater

7. Another

I'd like to find anime similar to those above.

I like Anime that features

1. Male Protagonists.....I can't really relate to female protags(except Korra because Korra is perfection)

2. I want a strong Male Character but not someone who is OP and never loses or if he loses, it's just because it's the boss. But not someone weak like Naruto was in the early days of the anime.

3. Good Action sequences but not long and drawn out...Aka no Naruto lol

4. Good Story and plot

5. Little to no romance if possible.

6. I need a bad boy to love :D

I am of course interested in all recommendations even if it doesn't match my preferences.

PS- I am trying to get into Fairytail and I am having a hard time....I also know about Onepiece, Bleach, and Naruto :P

Anime that follow your preferences:

Code Geass

Samurai Champloo

Death Note

Fate/Zero

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Guilty Crown

Good anime that don't follow your preferences completely:

Angel Beats - some action, but the MC isn't particularly strong

Steins;Gate - No action, it has time travel though

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou - great comedy anime

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - another great comedy anime

Tokyo Ravens - Takes several episodes for the MC to get strength, but its only a two cour anime, so it doesn't take THAT long

Anime that follow your preferences:

Code Geass

Samurai Champloo

Death Note

Fate/Zero

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Guilty Crown

Good anime that don't follow your preferences completely:

Angel Beats - some action, but the MC isn't particularly strong

Steins;Gate - No action, it has time travel though

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou - great comedy anime

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - another great comedy anime

Tokyo Ravens - Takes several episodes for the MC to get strength, but its only a two cour anime, so it doesn't take THAT long

I thought fate Zero had a female MC...I've seen a female on most promos for it.

I am going to try Code Geass as I hear that it is quite similar to Aldnoah/Zero as well as Death note...apparently I remind my boyfriend of the main character lol

I thought fate Zero had a female MC...I've seen a female on most promos for it.

No, the MC is definitely a guy. The reason why you have probably seen a female in most of the promos is that all of the people on the MC's team are all female. However, there is no romance as the MC is already married, and one of his teammates is his wife.

I am going to try Code Geass as I hear that it is quite similar to Aldnoah/Zero as well as Death note...apparently I remind my boyfriend of the main character lol

Oh, yes, I hope you like Code Geass. It is quite similar to Aldnoah/Zero, but far more focused on battles and actual tactics.

Dragon Ball Kai?

How about the original Hunter x Hunter anime? The 1999 version.

Saiyuki? Based on the Chinese Journey to the West tale.

Maybe Death Note. That has a male protagonist/antagonist.

Ragnarok the Animation...maybe. The lead character starts off weak and pathetic but grows.

My all-time favorite series, despite its simplicity, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers aka Ronin Warriors. No romance and it's about five boys who brandishes ancient armor to fight against a dark demon type who wants all of these special samurai armors because they all hold great power. Each armor represents a different element. Fire, earth, water, light, etc. That type of thing.

Not sure if you'd like it, but Kuroshitsuji is interesting...but I'm thinking along the lines of the manga and I guess it really isn't an action-based series.

Sorry, not good at recommendations. One thing I find, well, strange is that you don't want a show recommendation that stars female protagonists because you can't relate to them. I can say the same for the majority of any series with a male or female protagonist. I see no difference outside of the basic things younger characters go through that's universal, regardless of gender.

For example, there's Usagi of the Sailor Moon series as well as Minako. Both are horrible students in school and can be lazy with schoolwork. ALL people can (or have) related to this in some way or form (male or female). Maybe not bringing home good grades, or the best of grades because maybe you were reading comics or playing sports or playing video games instead studying as much as you should have. That's relateable. What's not relateable, is the fact that they're all a bunch of super heroes with sparkly magic powers. lol

Hm, or maybe the humble, shy awkward (imo) teen Gohan from DBZ. He was home-schooled his entire life, until high school and didn't have many friends outside of family and his father and mother's friends, so he had to learn how to fit in and stuff. I'm sure many and all have experienced this at some point. The thing I can't relate to...he's half alien. So yeah...

Why does gender matter? In all honesty, the only character I can think of where I think I could relate with in some way legitimately is Sumire from Kimi wa Pet (Tramps Like Us, I heard, for the English release). Not sure if it has an anime, though. Most of her flaws I can identify with, minus the cigarette smoking.

Sorry, not good at recommendations. One thing I find, well, strange is that you don't want a show recommendation that stars female protagonists because you can't relate to them. I can say the same for the majority of any series with a male or female protagonist. I see no difference outside of the basic things younger characters go through that's universal, regardless of gender.

For example, there's Usagi of the Sailor Moon series as well as Minako. Both are horrible students in school and can be lazy with schoolwork. ALL people can (or have) related to this in some way or form (male or female). Maybe not bringing home good grades, or the best of grades because maybe you were reading comics or playing sports or playing video games instead studying as much as you should have. That's relateable. What's not relateable, is the fact that they're all a bunch of super heroes with sparkly magic powers. lol

Hm, or maybe the humble, shy awkward (imo) teen Gohan from DBZ. He was home-schooled his entire life, until high school and didn't have many friends outside of family and his father and mother's friends, so he had to learn how to fit in and stuff. I'm sure many and all have experienced this at some point. The thing I can't relate to...he's half alien. So yeah...

Why does gender matter? In all honesty, the only character I can think of where I think I could relate with in some way legitimately is Sumire from Kimi wa Pet (Tramps Like Us, I heard, for the English release). Not sure if it has an anime, though. Most of her flaws I can identify with, minus the cigarette smoking.

Well partially as a gay guy I like seeing guys who are bad boys type lol

But also because the way most female protags are written makes me dislike them. It is quite unfortunate really.

A. In the case of Sailor moon, I hate any protagonist that is similar to her...or really any of the sailor scouts. Even Jupiter has her moments to me(Uranus of course is good).

B. Or a tough protagonist who is a female yet she starts acting stupid because of a male.

Korra is probably the only female protagonist I have ever liked because she was a bad-ass who got stuff done, screwed up but her personality didn't change for a guy nor did it make her suddenly become a damsel in distress when she is perfectly capable of saving/rescuing herself....I have always hated that in various animes/shows I watch. The female is capable of saving herself but instead the plot calls for her to be weak and needing to be saved by a guy.

So that's generally why I avoid anything with female protags/.

Oh, yes, I hope you like Code Geass. It is quite similar to Aldnoah/Zero, but far more focused on battles and actual tactics.

I am on episode 6 of CG....I can definitely see the similarities between the two but Aldnoah is definitely better. Characters have more depth and I am not as annoyed...though the prince in CG is not anywhere as annoying as the blonde princess of AZ.

Plus Lelouch design bothers me..he's ughly to me lol and his voice bothers me and I hate how six episodes in and it feels rushed. One thing going for AZ is the fact that the characters faced challenges even when Inaho is always being perfect they don't come out as winning all the time. SO far Lelouch has won everytime and I don't like that.

But Sazuko is rivaling slane as my anime crush :D

They dont fit your preferences 100% but their pretty close

Guilty crown , although there is some romance it's an amazing anime

Hellsing if you haven't already seen it

Busou Renkin not OP at the beginning but at the end *O*

Heroic Age

Zettai Karen Children the Unlimited

Devil May Cry

Persona 4 (shin megami tensei)

Trinity Blood

Samurai 7

Afro Samurai

Oh and there's a spin off of Soul Eater called Soul Eater Not.

• Geano locked this topic