Good idea to introduce my nephew anime?

Manifesto

Hey, do you guys think it'd be a good idea to introduce my nephew to anime? He's a wee lad, at the age of 11 but that was the same age as me when I discovered it, so I really can't talk. The reason I'm uncertain if I want to introduce him is because of the community itself, as it can be quite... volatile, for lack of a better word. Lastly, if you think not, why, and if you do think I should, what kind of anime do you think would be good to introduce him with?

For the Young'ns you'll want to start off with something that isn't too heavy on violence or on emotion because they will get influenced by the violence and become board with too much emotion so you have to find a good middle ground .

Kuroko would be perfect as a great anime and it does that without the use of violence , heavy emotion or ecchi.

Log Horizon is another good one to start him on.

Beck as well as SAO but I'm not sure if you will be ok with showing him that due to some of the violent (irl) scenes .

As for long running series Naruto (not shippuden) and One Piece are great for kids , 1P has little to no death (as far as I've seen) and Naruto while having quite a bit of death , deals with it well and the first season is aimed at a younger viewer audience so if he watches Naruto he will grow with the series .

Like I did:P

Nephew means male child of my aunt/uncle

Niece is the female version :P

And nice my 12yo Nephew watches Hellsing and Berserk but I didn't introduce him though, he started watching while I was asleep when he came to my place on the weekends and later on asked for me o give him the series , he wants to watch Mirai Nikki but I havent finished downloading it yet :'(

Yes , but my Nephew has seen much worse , both IRL and in tv shows and anime . Africa is a place where you grow up fast or end up on the streets or dead , and he has had a particularly tough life.

Kuroko yes i want to introduce it to her but i think she would refuse cause shes a girl T-T

and btw i am planning to introduce her Mirai Nikki hahahahhaa

That should be irrelevant. Gender shouldn't matter, although I doubt I'd have been interested in a sports show much, but that's just me. I'd rather watch a real game, personally....although, granted, I'm not a big fan of basketball. Baseball, I prefer or volleyball, but never mind that.

What types of shows does she like in a general sense? What genre of books or movies or games or TV shows does she like? Instead of just tossing the best show in your opinion at her, find something that would match her style instead.

If she is, indeed, a sports fan and a fan of basketball, show her that Kuroko show or Slam Dunk or whatever.

If she's a romantic, introduce her to one of those fluffy series with a romance plot, like, um....maybe Clannad?

If she likes junk involving giant robots or mechs, show her one of the many Gundam series.

If she likes cutesy stuff, show her....I dunno, Hamtaro.

etc.

The possibilities are endless.

That should be irrelevant. Gender shouldn't matter

Very true gender has no place in the anime world as proven by many of the characters (lol) anime isn't good or bad depending on your gender and everyone has different taste , but the popular aren't popular for no reason.

Hey, forgot one. If she's the type that likes annoying love quadrilaterals, I highly recommend "Marmalade Boy". lol The anime was annoying with that, the manga not so much and I really like the manga. It didn't include the unnecessary drama that the anime created.

Very true gender has no place in the anime world as proven by many of the characters (lol) anime isn't good or bad depending on your gender and everyone has different taste , but the popular aren't popular for no reason.
Not just anime. I meant that in a general sense with practically any form of entertainment as what's most important, imo, is definitely genre. I like mystery and crime stuff, so I may watch a crime drama, like Law & Order, for example. Since I like mystery, this is what drew me to a novel series like Sherlock Holmes or series like Detective Conan and Q.E.D (this series is highly underrated and is in Detective Conan's shadow)

There will be some genres that appeal more to one gender than the other, but everyone has different tastes in things. It should be ignored when introducing someone to a show. I also like fantasy...so personally, this is probably why I like the Tales series.

Not just anime. I meant that in a general sense with practically any form of entertainment as what's most important, imo, is definitely genre. I like mystery and crime stuff, so I may watch a crime drama, like Law & Order, for example. Since I like mystery, this is what drew me to a novel series like Sherlock Holmes or series like Detective Conan and Q.E.D (this series is highly underrated and is in Detective Conan's shadow)

There will be some genres that appeal more to one gender than the other, but everyone has different tastes in things. It should be ignored when introducing someone to a show. I also like fantasy...so personally, this is probably why I like the Tales series.

I agree but i was talking about anime in specific because were on an anime forum :P

In any case my belief is that the only thing that matters when introducing someone to a show is that it is enjoyable because if a show is good enough the genre means nothing as the show grabs you regardless of your predisposition to any genre and can even alter your favorite genre because you enjoyed the show so much.

That's why I try to keep an open mind but I do have lines that I won't cross Boku no Pico for instance . I doubt I will ever watch it but if people tell me that it is good for some reason like maybe seeing how society reacts to cross dressing boys and how it effects them with their social development and things like that then I might watch but for now no one has told me anything about the series and I'm not too keen on watching it but that's probably because of my preconceived thoughts on the show because of what (little) information I have on it.

I think I just challenged myself to watch Boku no Pico T-T . . .

I won't accept this challenge though :P

If you want to know how I know about Boku no Pico , My d!ck of a mate said it was a good romance , luckily I wiki searched it first (its a H shota series)

I agree but i was talking about anime in specific because were on an anime forum :P

In any case my belief is that the only thing that matters when introducing someone to a show is that it is enjoyable because if a show is good enough the genre means nothing as the show grabs you regardless of your predisposition to any genre and can even alter your favorite genre because you enjoyed the show so much.

That's why I try to keep an open mind but I do have lines that I won't cross Boku no Pico for instance . I doubt I will ever watch it but if people tell me that it is good for some reason like maybe seeing how society reacts to cross dressing boys and how it effects them with their social development and things like that then I might watch but for now no one has told me anything about the series and I'm not too keen on watching it but that's probably because of my preconceived thoughts on the show because of what (little) information I have on it.

I think I just challenged myself to watch Boku no Pico T-T . . .

I won't accept this challenge though :P

If you want to know how I know about Boku no Pico , My d!ck of a mate said it was a good romance , luckily I wiki searched it first (its a H shota series)

I've never heard of that series (not too surprising with me) lol. I read a series called "No Bra" that kinda had that type of situation. The main characters are two high-school boys. One is a cross-dresser and wants to enroll in the main protagonist's school, but wanted to wear the girl's uniform.

Hey, thinking about it, Momiji in Fruits Basket wanted to wear the girl's high-school uniform over the boy's one. He was a great character, imo. He was definitely my favorite. He was one of the most open and optimistic characters, but had one of the saddest and painful backstories. You just always wanted to give him a hug.

Yeah as small scenes , comedy scenes or if there's a character that is like that (not MC) it's fine but when the whole show is about a pre-adolescent boy who dresses like a girl and likes boys that's a bit of a problem no? And it has a second season with more cross dressing boys. In addition it is a Hentai series (A GAY Hentai series! I have nothing against gay people its just that I would rather not watch a gay loli hentai) so. . .

Yeah as small scenes , comedy scenes or if there's a character that is like that (not MC) it's fine but when the whole show is about a pre-adolescent boy who dresses like a girl and likes boys that's a bit of a problem no? And it has a second season with more cross dressing boys. In addition it is a Hentai series (A GAY Hentai series! I have nothing against gay people its just that I would rather not watch a gay loli hentai) so. . .
No Bra was a bit more...complicated. This character crossdressed all the time, and he started at a young age (when it was explained) but they're highschoolers at the point where the story starts. It's all because of mistaken identity, iirc.

That aside....I think I'd pass on that series too, the one you described. lol

Haha yeah according to wiki the MC dresses like a girl because he got girls clothing as a gift when he was a little kid and has never stopped wearing girls clothing since so there is a (sort of) reason for it.

And I don't think I know anyone who would watch it either (lol).

Sure why not? :)

The reason I'm uncertain if I want to introduce him is because of the community itself, as it can be quite... volatile, for lack of a better word.

Well perhaps you can start him off on some DVDs or Blu-rays? Let him watch offline as a starting point, :)

Lastly, if you think not, why, and if you do think I should, what kind of anime do you think would be good to introduce him with?

How about Pokémon? If he finds that too tame, ramp it up a notch. By the sounds of it if his friends are watching gore movies then he's probably already desensitised already. @_@

How about Pokémon? If he finds that too tame, ramp it up a notch. By the sounds of it if his friends are watching gore movies then he's probably already desensitised already. @_@

[/Quote]

Aren't most kids these days , they are becoming more and more exposed to the more adult things of the world (violence and explicit content as well as many other things). Personally I find it to be a comment on how far people have fallen from the days when if you did something you were held accountable for the consequences. People no longer care for there children properly and end up allowing them to view these things , I know I should be the last person to say it (especially since I allowed my nephew to watch violent anime while under my roof) but it needs to be said and I intend on never letting anything like it happen again with any of my nieces , nephews or any of my children (still working on that project ;) )

Aren't most kids these days , they are becoming more and more exposed to the more adult things of the world (violence and explicit content as well as many other things). Personally I find it to be a comment on how far people have fallen from the days when if you did something you were held accountable for the consequences. People no longer care for there children properly and end up allowing them to view these things , I know I should be the last person to say it (especially since I allowed my nephew to watch violent anime while under my roof) but it needs to be said and I intend on never letting anything like it happen again with any of my nieces , nephews or any of my children (still working on that project ;) )

That's exactly what I was thinking. Well... minus the "my children" part. :P

Yeah, It seems today children are getting more and more exposed to things they shouldn't be exposed to, it seems like sometimes their parents don't care. And I don't mean to be cramming on any parents reading this, I just mean, parents have a duty, and sometimes it seems like they aren't doing it fully.

• 1 month later...

I think it's completely fair if you would introduce him to animes. But first consider the fact that he might not love anime as much as we do. So don't force anime to him. And if you're really pursuing on introducing him to animes why not try introducing him animes that involves action, magic and adventure since a lot of young boys loves to watch anime from those kind of genres. I'll recommend Black Bullet, Fairytail, and No Game No Life and other things wit the same genres as I stated. :)

• Geano locked this topic