Best anime dubs

ssjup81

...Anime dubs. Just like the other thread, if this exists and I missed it, please lock and redirect. ^^ Anyway, what shows do you feel have good dubs? Please share and don't forget to add why you feel it's good.

Noir: It's pretty close to its original and I like the original. For the most part, everything was left unchanged...just the language was changed for us to understand it. The accents for the dub are pretty goofy, but, it's more distinguishable in the dub, since this series took place in France anyway and had a lot of French and English characters.

Azumanga Daioh: A comedy series. Just as Noir, pretty much nothing was changed. The voices were okay too. Of course they had to change some things because some jokes wouldn't have translated over well (like the jokes about how Osakans are or the riddles that Ayumu [Osaka] would come up with), but they worked with what the writers came up with.

Gunsmith Cats: This is just an OVA, so it might not count entirely since it's so short. I didn't find much wrong with it. I like both its English version and its Japanese version. I just wish they'd given this series a full on series. The only thing that suited the characters for the dub, were the voices, since the characters are American and the series takes place in Chicago.

Ronin Warriors: Even though this is an earlier series, I felt that the adaptation from the original was well done. Hardly anything was cut from the series. Even most of the music was kept, not counting the opening and the endings. The voice acting was pretty good too. They even kept most of the main characters' names, minus Shin (Sai), Touma (Rowen), Nasuti (Mia), and Jun (Yuli). This is one series where I like both its original and its dub.

Samurai Pizza Cats: I know, surprising, but I only like this "dub" and feel it can fit for a "best" because it was pretty much all original, and by that, they had to make most everything up for it because they didn't have a script to work with (to my knowledge). The show was just so comical and enjoyable for me. The voices were cool too. It wasn't annoying to listen to. I like the original too. The puns are what made the show, imo. If you treat this entirely as a stand alone type series and don't compare it to the original (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee), and like randomness, I'm sure most would enjoy it. Of course, for the original, some of the jokes used in there, wouldn't have translated over all that well so American references suited it better. Oh and something else crazy and awesome about this dub....Francine used the word "tramp" when referring to Polly's outfit. Seriously, this was a kid's show. lol

.hack//SIGN: Instead of getting all detailed, going to pretty much mention what I said before. VERY close to the original. No character changes, no story changes, the voices were even close.

Cowboy Bebop: This is a series that is good in both Japanese and English, imo. For the most part, hardly anything was changed or dropped when shown on television ('cept for one thing that comes to mind...but that was sex-oriented, iirc). The voices were also well done for the dub, although Spike could've been voiced with a tad bit more emotion, like in the original.

Gundam Wing: Odd choice, as this show did have cuts in it for its dub...like that disturbing scene with the doctors that Duo walked in on. o_O I just felt the voicing and stuff was good for it, original music, etc. Only thing that could've been a bit better was Hiro's character. He was a bit too unemotional. He doesn't seem to lack that much emotion for the original.

Hellsing had brilliant dubs , to the point where I couldn't watch the show in Japanese because it just wasn't right.

Eureka 7 , I feel that the dub was awesome

Chikyu Shojo Arujuna (Earth Girl Arujuna)

Dragonaught the Resonance

Heroic Age

I can't go into as much detail as you did @ssjup81 but these dubs were definitely done well , I mostly judged them on the voice acting but they all stuck close (or as close as they could) to the original scripted words.

I can't really remember much of the dubs I've seen so I'm just going to list the ones that immediately come to mind.

Gurren Lagann: The dubs weren't far off with their translations and fit the mood. I liked "bro" better than "aniki." The original was great too but a little hard to get used to after watching the whole series dubbed. Either way, it's worth watching both versions just for the movies that haven't been dubbed.

Ghost Stories: The dub for this one isn't good because it's translated well, but because they decided to scrap the script and made the show something else entirely. A group of people bought the rights to dub it and showed it at some anime con. Some people got mad about it, but the result of the dub is hilarious.

's a few clips of the dub, has NSFW/swearing language so beware.

FMA: I don't know about Brotherhood but I really enjoyed the original's dub.

• Like 1

Eh. Pretty much every dubbed anime I've watched I liked the dubs. If I don't like the dub I watch it in Japanese. So the animes that I have watched in english sine I liked the dubbing are

Dragon Ball Z

Eureka Seven

Eureka Seven AO

I also liked the Toradora! dub even though I didn't exactly watch it. My brother did, and I checked in every now and then, and the dubbing was great.

Nice lists, guys. Keep 'em coming. ^_^

Eh. Pretty much every dubbed anime I've watched I liked the dubs. If I don't like the dub I watch it in Japanese. So the animes that I have watched in english sine I liked the dubbing are

Dragon Ball Z

Eureka Seven

Eureka Seven AO

I also liked the Toradora! dub even though I didn't exactly watch it. My brother did, and I checked in every now and then, and the dubbing was great.

Hm, Dragon Ball Z....my exposure and introduction to this was through early Funimation's dub of it, which meant HFIL, "the next dimension", "good thing those people evacuated that building before I blew it up" type nonsense. lol I do still have a soft spot for it, though as it's downright amusing.

Nice lists, guys. Keep 'em coming. ^_^

Hm, Dragon Ball Z....my exposure and introduction to this was through early Funimation's dub of it, which meant HFIL, "the next dimension", "good thing those people evacuated that building before I blew it up" type nonsense. lol I do still have a soft spot for it, though as it's downright amusing.

Sorry, I guess I should have specified. Dragon Ball Z Kai Uncut.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jupiter
Sorry, I guess I should have specified. Dragon Ball Z Kai Uncut.

I didn't care for Dragon Ball Z Kai to be honest although I'm aware its suppose to go with the manga. Classic anime DBZ will always be for me. The only thing DBZ Kai is good for is that it promotes the series more. More like another thing for DBZ fans to collect.

To say the least, I think the time they put into that was wasted because people like myself prefer the old version with filler episodes, especially the ones filled with fight scenes. I hated Frieza's new voice replacement.

Too many changes. Maybe its something that they should have done back when they first released the series instead of doing so now. But oh well. If people like it. More power to them.

• 4 months later...

Since we have new members, I decided to bump the thread to see what they feel are good dubs.

Edited by Guest

The only anime that I prefer dubbed is Hetalia (I haven't watched many dubbed ones tbh). In the dubbed version, the characters sound just as they should, plus they all have accents based on their country which makes the anime much funnier and unique.

Naruto, One piece(not the 4kids) and SAO.

they are the best imo, just because they are the only dubs that I watched and I guess it was fine.

I did try Hataraku maou-sama dub just because someone recommend it to me, but I already watched the sub then. So I just watch some moments and well it was good, the jokes is fine too.

• Like 1

The only anime I prefer dubbed is Fairy Tail and that's only because I started watching it dubbed because of my friends. All other anime I watch subbed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I will add one more. Ghost stories.

I mean holy sh*t, this is brilliant..

[spoiler=Why?]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

"YOU WANNA BE AN AIRFORCE RANGER. YOU WANNA LIVE A LIFE OF DANGER. YOU DONT WANNA GET RAPED BY STRANGERS."

"Just fill the hole, hole-filler." "Sure... jackass" xD.

"Why are you still crying?" "Because this pajamas are gay."

Edited by Guest

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Neon Genesis Evangelion (including the Rebuild movies) come to mind. I feel they have exceptional English dubs.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i think almost any anime from the 80's and 90's had pretty good dubs. Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain, Trigun, DBZ, Lubin III, etc. but thats just me ^_^

that seems across the board to me even in movies where the actors/actresses seemed to be more in to their characters than these days (well to me) even to go as far as like accents , personality's and the like for their character rather than just play the role they tried to be the role (well again that's my look at it)

• Agree 1

I dun really watch dubs all that much. But some dubs I did watch are Fairy Tail and Hyperdimension Neptunia, which I did like the dubs.

I really like Natsu's english voice, dunno why. Same goes for Neptune's, it just ya know, makes my ears happy.

• Geano locked this topic