When Characters from ANIME started to speak in ENGLISH, does it bother you?

Manifesto

Honestly sometimes i do find it quite good, like when senjougahara said, "Parent Teacher Association" for example, she sounded a bit sexy,Though it also bothers me sometimes...,really like from nanatsu no taizai, the way the say thier skills are in english and i think that its not cool at all. Imagine shichika yelling in english you'ld find it uncool right?..maybe? well just my opinion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't bother me, whenever someone speaks an English term it's either for comic relief (T.K. from angles beats) or they are just trying to sound professional (Nunotaba Shinobu from Railgun) they normally don't happen often and it wasn't meant to break the flow of the show. But I will admit that some anime characters try to make 'Engrish' cooler then what it really is.

I remember hearing some time ago that the reason this is is because Japanese people think the English language sounds "exotic".

And no, it doesn't bother me at all. Growing up in a place where almost no one speaks English I always found it amazing when I was young on how the asian cartoons would use English words.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't really mind , I think it's the same as when English shows have characters that say Japanese words .

The only difference for me is that Anime characters usually speak English much better than English characters speak Japanese.

I do however get annoyed when characters slip into English for no reason (like when they do a special attack and name it in English when the name is just as good in Japanese).

• Agree 1

Well for comic relief it's great. xD

e.g.

Kongou from Kantai Collection: "No problem desu!"

Someone needs to make a compilation video of her English phrases..

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

No, not really, find it funny sometimes, but still it will all just be forgotten, I mean even Indonesian cartoon tried to put some English conversation going on even though they fail miserably I still appreciate their efforts.

• Like 1

can't say it bothers me...but sometimes it sounds funny :P not to mention I can't understand what they're saying most of the time :P
That's because they teach Katakana English as opposed to how a native person would speak, hence why it's difficult to understand sometimes. That aside, they start forcing kids to study English in school from junior high school...and yet Japan is way behind other Asian countries like Korea and China.

I absolutely adore hearing the Japanese speaking/singing in English. It's far better than listening to any native English speaker.

• Like 1

I absolutely adore hearing the Japanese speaking/singing in English. It's far better than listening to any native English speaker.

wait, how? other that it sounds cuter, I cant see any other reason..

Edited by Guest

wait, how? other that it sounds cuter, I cant see any other reason..

It's just my personal preference. If I could watch everything in Japanese with English subs or with Japanese people speaking English, I would watch a whole lot more tv than I do.

Dude it's so hard to bear listening to Japanese VAs speak English since it sounds so not-fluent, obviously because they don't speak English natively. But I can see why studios don't hire English VAs since most aren't that great. :/

Started to speak in English?, i only watch DUB i don't understand the question
Sometimes, in the original Japanese versions of some of these anime shows, some characters may speak English or use some English phrases or words.
  • Like 1

It doesn't bother me, there are actually intro's where the English language is spoken. For an example, take Mirai Nikki's second intro, I really like it and it has become one of my favorite intro's and my first favorite English intro. There are intro's where there's a mix of two different languages, whether it be English and Japanese, or German and Japanese. Speaking about characters, it does not bother me when characters speak English if they're trying to read out something. What does bother me is Anime that have English dubs, I don't prefer it myself as I watch Japanese dub with English subtitles at all times. Heh, I watched an Anime with English dub before.. it turned out I disliked it the dub. It's just not my cup of tea.

• 4 months later...
No, not really, find it funny sometimes, but still it will all just be forgotten, I mean even Indonesian cartoon tried to put some English conversation going on even though they fail miserably I still appreciate their efforts.

Yeah I find it funny too. xD

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
some times, When i first watch dub i can't watch the same anime subed
I think you're confusing it. I think the original poster was referring to the Japanese version of these shows where one of the characters start to speak or say something in English.

I think the original poster was referring to the Japanese version

i know im just sayin if they start speaking one language thats the one im watching

• Geano locked this topic