When Characters from ANIME started to speak in ENGLISH, does it bother you?

Manifesto

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched Zankyou no Terror subbed recently and the English was awful.

Ah yes... Terror in Resonance. I agree that the English kind of killed the immersion for me, ESPECIALLY from Five! From memory in one of the episodes she was coordinating with American agents against Nine and Twelve whilst looking at surveillance cameras at the airport... and to do that she was speaking English with a heavy accent. @_@ Problem was, it was meant to be a serious tense moment.

terror-in-resonance-haneda-airport-five1.thumb.jpg.36a0b9de0620e4edeb554e136ce6a13f.jpg

Otherwise, I LOVED this show was such a great thriller.

some times, When i first watch dub i can't watch the same anime subed

is that anime any good

Hey Koki, please keep this on-topic. ;) But yes, if you're into thrillers I think you'll like it.

terror-in-resonance-haneda-airport-five2.thumb.jpg.49a0f01551463be5ce85f47ee86f499f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Kinda, but only if it has no real purpose to the story. If it just comes out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason, It does bother me. I doubt Japanese people just speak English for fun.

What bothers me more is when a character is suppose to be speaking English but is still speaking Japanese. The other characters react as if they are speaking in English but it is like me acted as if my friend was speaking Japanese to me even though he is speaking English. It doesn't make sense.

speaking English but is still speaking Japanese. The other characters react as if they are speaking in English

I know what you mean bro but some of them do speak English just in a Japanese accent

I think you're confusing it. I think the original poster was referring to the Japanese version of these shows where one of the characters start to speak or say something in English.

I see what you mean now

I feel SLOW :P

Kinda, but only if it has no real purpose to the story. If it just comes out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason, It does bother me. I doubt Japanese people just speak English for fun.

What bothers me more is when a character is suppose to be speaking English but is still speaking Japanese. The other characters react as if they are speaking in English but it is like me acted as if my friend was speaking Japanese to me even though he is speaking English. It doesn't make sense.

To quote myself....
That's because they teach Katakana English as opposed to how a native person would speak, hence why it's difficult to understand sometimes. That aside, they start forcing kids to study English in school from junior high school...and yet Japan is way behind other Asian countries like Korea and China.
Adding on, they do it to try and make it sound cool, and there are some phrases that people may randomly use.

No, it doesn't bother me. I love English dubs.

But we aren't talking about dubs. We're talking about the original Japanese versions having the characters randomly speak in another language for whatever the reason. It's like how in the original Japanese version of Sonic X, how Sonic sometimes used random English phrases and curse words. Or in Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai when the main character's father would sometimes randomly use French. Not sure about the dub...

Edited by Guest

Oops. Sorry! My mistake.

I have heard characters suddenly speaking English, like in Yurikuma Arashi, the way that Life Sexy said "sexy." It sounded weird.

Edited by Guest

It kinda bothers me when they start using random english words like in that one new anime i cant remember the name of right now
What'd they say?

What'd they say?

Excuse me bossu or something like that the girl talks normally and then suddenlly you hear some english not the usual stuff tho which is kinda annoying

It's like I said before, it's katakanized English. That's what's taught here and due to lack of exposure to native English speakers, you get words like "bossu" since that's as close as you can get to our pronunciation for "boss". My last name ends in "de". McBride. In Japanese, that last sound would be pronounced "dou".

It's like I said before, it's katakanized English. That's what's taught here and due to lack of exposure to native English speakers, you get words like "bossu" since that's as close as you can get to our pronunciation for "boss". My last name ends in "de". McBride. In Japanese, that last sound would be pronounced "dou".

I dont have a problem whit that

I have a problem whit her using phrases and even english sentences randomly

It doesn't really bother me! xD

But yeah, some words does bother me... Like my name...

For example... My nickname is "Mul". But when it is changed to japanese(katakana), it's "Muru"... ._.

• Agree 1

My nickname is "Mul". But when it is changed to japanese(katakana), it's "Muru"... ._.

Thts pretty cool

I WISH MY NAME WAS LIKE THAT

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic