When Characters from ANIME started to speak in ENGLISH, does it bother you?

Manifesto

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it actually makes me feel funny inside actually, we have been watching anime in japenese and the moment they speak English the main character doesn't understand what they are saying but we do. It's like a guy in a movie speaking another language that we don't understand -_-

• Like 1

For the most part it doesn't bother me, the only time it really did bother me was in GJ-bu whenever Geraldine Bernstein speaks English.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Well for comic relief it's great. xD

I agree with this, actually. If it's for comic relief and it's done well, then I'm going to literally die of laughter (multiple times over). If it's due to the anime trying to portray "English" characters, it completely destroys my suspension of disbelief and I'm probably going to stop watching.

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me at all as long as it's done with proper intent. For example, I saw this one anime once where the characters were actually in DC near the capital and are confronted by a African American cop, and she's actually voiced by an African American woman. It was almost surreal because I didn't see it coming but it was also really interesting. Moments like that are really well worth it.

I don't typically have an issue with it...

except for the ONE TIME

Every single time I hear Yoshino's last words from Rewrite: Moon and Terra I genuinely want to throw up because of the awful.. awful usage of Engrish. Why on Earth would you say your last words in a different language that no one around you really understands??

I hate it. Therefore I have to spread it to you xD

~Skip to end~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzsHdmrXLY

It does make sense of course. I call it Engrish as it is a complete misuse (and terrible pronounciation*) of the English language that would be a very disappointing thing to hear as last words. If I had a dying relative suddenly start spouting poorly constructed Spanish I'd honestly be rather disappointed.

*I understand that he's Japanese and isn't going to be able to perform every sound perfectly. It doesn't make it okay to use in the context he did imo

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I see it as quite normal, since real people do often interchange between languages they might not be familiar with, especially in casual conversations when they are making a joke. Aside from the really cringeworthy weeaboo talk, there are people who use words like "Konnichiwa" as a casual greeting in Japanese-oriented places, like an anime gathering. And sometimes, characters just use Engrish to speak to English-speaking people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtITideQFtQ

Yeah, it does sound funky, but it's more of an accent problem, I feel, than a mispronunciation. British and Americans have different ways of pronouncing the same words, for example. And really, it's not the fault of the Japanese, because English isn't their native language.

Besides, English is such a universal language today that it would actually be weirder for someone to not know it.

Edited by Guest

It does make sense of course. I call it Engrish as it is a complete misuse (and terrible pronounciation*) of the English language that would be a very disappointing thing to hear as last words. If I had a dying relative suddenly start spouting poorly constructed Spanish I'd honestly be rather disappointed.

*I understand that he's Japanese and isn't going to be able to perform every sound perfectly. It doesn't make it okay to use in the context he did imo

The only word that seems kind of off to me is next, which you can't blame Japan for not getting right. Also, it does seem as though he's understood, so that point seems kind of moot.

• Like 1

The only word that seems kind of off to me is next, which you can't blame Japan for not getting right. Also, it does seem as though he's understood, so that point seems kind of moot.

I wouldn't say it's the pronunciation as a whole that bothers me. It's the context it's used in, as I mentioned. The pronunciation elsewhere is just as off, and I see no issue with that at all. This particular instance is what bugged me as it seems like a very inappropriate and poorly placed thing to spew as last words. That's my point.

• Geano locked this topic