Which of these should I watch?

Shiroe

I've got a list of anime I plan to watch, and I'm sure you can relate to that. I have some free time now, so I wanted to know what you guys thought was worth picking up. I'd really appreciate it if you went into detail why you think they're good. (But if you're lazy you don't have to.)

• Kare Kano
  • Fruits Basket
  • Hyouka
  • Initial D
  • Violet Evergarden
  • Sora Yori
  • Hunter x Hunter
  • Classroom of the Elite
  • Hellsing
  • Akame ga Kill
  • Madoka Magica
  • Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Mob Pyscho 100 II
  • When They Cry

Some thoughts/comments about this list:

• I've never seen or read the original Fruits Basket.
  • I don't know anything about cars.
  • I don't like most shonen, but I hear Hunter x Hunter is a great for someone like me.
  • Some people have told me that I'd really like the MCs from Classroom of the Elite and Hyouka. What are they like?
  • I've heard Akame ga Kill's manga ending is different than the anime ending. Which should I watch/read?

Thank you for reading & no spoilers please! 😁

Edited by Kinbaryu
Clarified title
  • Like 1

Haven't seen all of them myself, and only remember some of them, but here are my thoughts on two of them.

I started Great Teacher Onizuka but didn't like it. It's quite 'perverted' to a point where I thought it really was unnecessary and at least for me removed quite a bit of the comedic aspects.

Hunter x Hunter is pretty much a shonen, so if you dislike them, I'm not sure you are going to like this one. I personally think it's a great anime but if you are not into the whole fighting and becoming stronger thing, then it's probably not your cup of tea. You might still want to give it a try though :)

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I'd have to go with GTO. Although I did like Hellsing and Fruits Basket, furuba is slow right now, as it's still airing. You should definitely give it a chance when you can watch it in decent segments. The weekly release isn't working for me on this one.

Great Teacher Onizuka may be perverted (but it's a very common theme) so I'm going to assume this doesn't bother you. I loved the story personally- I feel like there was a lot of depth and meaning to it, its not your run of the mill HS drama or comedy, but does incorporate both of those genres and does it well. I like the MC backstory, he's well written. His desire to be a teacher is another bonus for me, I feel like a lot of teachers take their jobs too lax, and he is just the opposite.

In all, if you're into high school settings in anime, real life situations and discussions go with GTO, it will be an enjoyable ride.

Edited by Seshi
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Hunter x Hunter is a must-watch and you should give it a go if you like adventure alike anime and in times it can become quite dark. Not your average shonen anime if I may say so.

I have seen Hyouka as well as Classroom of the Elites, both MC's are smart and come to reasonable conclusions (that's how I would sum up both of them) so if they were both recommended to you then you are either into mysteries or riddles or have an affection to MC's outwitting their opponents with ease. Unlike Classroom of the Elites, Hyouka has no fight scenes so it's more about mysteries and the MC is supposed to solve them accordingly (against his will) but he refuses to waste energy on anything that is bothersome and this goes so on throughout the series. Watch the first 3 episodes and look for yourself whether it's something you would enjoy, it's certainly not for everyone as it may seem boring to some.

Classroom of the Elites involves more fighting and MC is cunning as well - I expected it to be just like any other anime with no special story but It's more than meets the eye. I gave it a rating of 9 out of 10 which is pretty rare. It resembles a bit Oregairu the way the MC thinks so it's up to you to decide whether you would enjoy watching it. Actually 1-2 episodes should be plenty to give you an idea of how this anime is build up.

Only other anime on ur list ive seen is Violet Evergarden, it's great and you should check the reviews on AF if you want. To sum it up - MC is a girl who was used as a tool to win wars, she met a man she calls Major (her superior) and after the war ended she had nowhere to go. So she became a ghost writer (thats how you would call it now i guess) for a friend of the major  using a write machine. It takes place around the 20th century most likely. Basically she goes around and visits people who are not able to write and therefore need the help of Violet. Each encounter with a "customer" is unique on its own way. Violet Evergarden has by far the best visuals from what you could expect of an anime, along with Kino no Tabi (remake).

Have fun watching and I would recommend you Oregairu if you like Classroom of the Elites.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

5 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

I have some free time now

Unless you have a great deal of free time I would advise against HxH as it is not a short series. I watched to around episode 80 or so before putting it on hold. Not because it was bad, but because I burned out on it. Would like to resume it again someday, but takes a significant time commitment even being split into arcs.

My own suggestions would be Mob Psycho II  or Violet Evergarden.  

VE would be your best bet if you want something that is complete in a single cour and though definitely not shonen it does have some action sequences. I’m not as big a fan as some because I really enjoyed some episodes, but some did nothing for me. Still worth checking out IMO.

As far as Mob Psycho, since you’re listing season 2, I assume you’ve already seen and enjoyed season 1. Season 2 seemed to dedicate more time to the feels aspect of the show, but there are still some mindblowingly animated fights. Of course not everything is resolved by it’s end, but no cliffhanger and  it does feel like a satisfying chapter in the story.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I started Great Teacher Onizuka but didn't like it. It's quite 'perverted' to a point where I thought it really was unnecessary and at least for me removed quite a bit of the comedic aspects.

8 hours ago, Seshi said:

I'd have to go with GTO. Although I did like Hellsing and Fruits Basket, furuba is slow right now, as it's still airing. You should definitely give it a chance when you can watch it in decent segments. The weekly release isn't working for me on this one.

Great Teacher Onizuka may be perverted (but it's a very common theme) so I'm going to assume this doesn't bother you. I loved the story personally- I feel like there was a lot of depth and meaning to it, its not your run of the mill HS drama or comedy, but does incorporate both of those genres and does it well. I like the MC backstory, he's well written. His desire to be a teacher is another bonus for me, I feel like a lot of teachers take their jobs too lax, and he is just the opposite.

In all, if you're into high school settings in anime, real life situations and discussions go with GTO, it will be an enjoyable ride.

Being a pervert doesn't really bother me if I like the character, like Koyomi Araragi from Bakemonogatari or Kazuma from KonoSuba. My friend has been egging me on to watch GTO, so maybe I'll finish it soon.

10 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Hunter x Hunter is pretty much a shonen, so if you dislike them, I'm not sure you are going to like this one. I personally think it's a great anime but if you are not into the whole fighting and becoming stronger thing, then it's probably not your cup of tea. You might still want to give it a try though :)

6 hours ago, Muco said:

Hunter x Hunter is a must-watch and you should give it a go if you like adventure alike anime and in times it can become quite dark. Not your average shonen anime if I may say so.

5 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Unless you have a great deal of free time I would advise against HxH as it is not a short series. I watched to around episode 80 or so before putting it on hold. Not because it was bad, but because I burned out on it. Would like to resume it again someday, but takes a significant time commitment even being split into arcs.

HxH is pretty much a shonen and not your average shonen? 🤔 Just kidding 🤣

I don't necessarily mind the fighting and getting stronger aspects of a story, but it's not something that particularly appeals to me. One thing I'll definitely have to consider is the length of the series and how it's split into two different versions. Is there a guide to the arcs of HxH? Or is reading the manga a better experience?

6 hours ago, Muco said:

I have seen Hyouka as well as Classroom of the Elites, both MC's are smart and come to reasonable conclusions (that's how I would sum up both of them) so if they were both recommended to you then you are either into mysteries or riddles or have an affection to MC's outwitting their opponents with ease. Unlike Classroom of the Elites, Hyouka has no fight scenes so it's more about mysteries and the MC is supposed to solve them accordingly (against his will) but he refuses to waste energy on anything that is bothersome and this goes so on throughout the series. Watch the first 3 episodes and look for yourself whether it's something you would enjoy, it's certainly not for everyone as it may seem boring to some.

Classroom of the Elites involves more fighting and MC is cunning as well - I expected it to be just like any other anime with no special story but It's more than meets the eye. I gave it a rating of 9 out of 10 which is pretty rare. It resembles a bit Oregairu the way the MC thinks so it's up to you to decide whether you would enjoy watching it. Actually 1-2 episodes should be plenty to give you an idea of how this anime is build up.

Have fun watching and I would recommend you Oregairu if you like Classroom of the Elites.

I actually love Hachiman Hikigaya from OreGairu, so that definitely convinced me to watch these two anime. I don't mind anime that don't have action; it's not like OreGairu had action in it.

6 hours ago, Muco said:

Only other anime on ur list ive seen is Violet Evergarden, it's great and you should check the reviews on AF if you want. To sum it up - MC is a girl who was used as a tool to win wars, she met a man she calls Major (her superior) and after the war ended she had nowhere to go. So she became a ghost writer (thats how you would call it now i guess) for a friend of the major  using a write machine. It takes place around the 20th century most likely. Basically she goes around and visits people who are not able to write and therefore need the help of Violet. Each encounter with a "customer" is unique on its own way. Violet Evergarden has by far the best visuals from what you could expect of an anime, along with Kino no Tabi (remake).

VE would be your best bet if you want something that is complete in a single cour and though definitely not shonen it does have some action sequences. I’m not as big a fan as some because I really enjoyed some episodes, but some did nothing for me. Still worth checking out IMO.

A lot of people seem to be divided over Violet Evergarden. Some people say it's great and emotional whereas others say it was boring and slow. Like I said before, I don't really care for action sequences, but stunning visuals can make me love an anime, like in A Silent Voice.

As far as Mob Psycho, since you’re listing season 2, I assume you’ve already seen and enjoyed season 1. Season 2 seemed to dedicate more time to the feels aspect of the show, but there are still some mindblowingly animated fights. Of course not everything is resolved by it’s end, but no cliffhanger and  it does feel like a satisfying chapter in the story.

Oh yeah, I kind of thought Claw was a weak set-up for a villain, and some of the cliffhangers throughout season 1 turned me off, but I thought MP100 was a great watch overall. If it does indeed feel like a satisfying chapter, then I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for your in-depth replies, everybody! I really enjoyed reading and responding to them. I'll be sure to update everybody on what happens next. 😁

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kinbaryu said:

I don't necessarily mind the fighting and getting stronger aspects of a story, but it's not something that particularly appeals to me. One thing I'll definitely have to consider is the length of the series and how it's split into two different versions. Is there a guide to the arcs of HxH? Or is reading the manga a better experience?

That's how opinions can be divided 😂 I'd recommend just looking into a couple of episodes and seeing if you enjoy the show. There are two versions and I think I've seen both but I can't really remember the differences (I know one is from the 90s and the other from about 2011). As far as I remember I watched the old version + OVAs, and then switched to the new one (which has newer episodes). Generally I think the 2011 version has all of the episodes including what happened in the old version (but I think they did cut a few things). I don't know about the manga though.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Funny 1

Honestly most of these are good but then again I'm not very picky when it comes to anime, lol.

My personal opinion is if you like that genre you might like the series.

Example: Fruits Baskets is a Slice Of Life anime; if you like that sort of thing most likely you'll like it.

Sorry I didn't go into any of the anime in detail. I may at a later date otherwise I'll probably spend half the day explaining it and I'm horrible at trying to avoid spoilers, lol.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, Kinbaryu said:

I actually love Hachiman Hikigaya from OreGairu, so that definitely convinced me to watch these two anime. I don't mind anime that don't have action; it's not like OreGairu had action in it.

It's actually a mix of seinen elements and shounen. (the chimera arc for instance) Well, this is the conclusion I came to after watching through the whole series. Regardless of whether it's published in a shounen magazine or not. Oregairu is a masterpiece and I love Hikigaya as well. Especially the way he handle things like in the rooftop scene, if you know what I mean. Straightforward and Honest. As I said above, have fun watching them pal. I have also seen Akame ga Kill, it was a waste of time and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Edited by Muco
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hunter x hunter doesn't even feel like a shonen, it feels more like a adventure, which out all the training, fighting all the time. There are some fights in hunter x hunter. Though they aren't fighting to take over the world or save the world like other shonens.  Also they don't have annoying Naruto characters, or characters that act annoying.  You could also try magi the kingdom of magic, since it also is nothing like shoenen. Or Fate/Zero then Fate/stay night unlimited blade works TV.

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff listed here. If I were to pick the best from the list however I would say.

Kare Kano

Hunter x Hunter

Violet Evergarden

Madoka Magica

Sora Yori

Honestly if you got the time all of these are worth checking out, but those are what I would pick.

• Like 1