Mario vs Luigi?

ssjup81

Mario or Luigi?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Mario or Luigi?

• Mario!
    • Luigi!
    • Neither

Since I've been going back to Mario stuff lately (mainly the old cartoons....total nostalgia trip), I just started thinking about this. Favorite brother. Mario or Luigi and why?

As a kid, I favored Luigi, but not necessarily because of the games, because Mario Bros 2 Luigi was nuts! lol Couldn't control him at all, but was the best to use, for me, when fighting against Wart....but anywho, back to Luigi.

So yeah, I became a fan of Luigi because of the Super Mario Bros Super Show. I liked how he was the cautious brother who focus on what could go wrong, but had his moments where he'd join Mario and fight anyway despite his worries. For the old toons, you mention food, and Mario is all for helping. lol For Adventure of Super Mario Bros 3, Luigi went in disguise as a reptile to distract Kootie Pie (Wendy in the games; at the time the show as produced, the Koopa Kids didn't have names, so DiC had to make them up). That was brave. He actually kissed her twice to distract her and trick her into freeing everyone. Made me shudder as a kid....still does now as an adult...but yeah, he gets my vote for that alone.

Oh and I like the gentle, loving side he has. In the game continuity, Luigi is supposedly close to Yoshi. In the show, he was like a parent to him.

Mario, imo, has been overly exposed and that's why I started to get sick of Mario. When I got Mario RPG and realized Luigi wasn't even a playable character, I just started to dislike Mario...not hate...just dislike.

So yeah, for me, it's Luigi. For one, he has an actual personality. Mario really doesn't (other than the cartoons, which I did like).

I glanced over this and was meaning to reply to this one. >_<

I never knew there was an animation for Mario... is this one of them you were referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUtpTWdwpQ

My exposure to Mario and Luigi are limited to a few games, Super Mario Bros All Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros on the Wii...

I naturally just became a fan of Mario over Luigi as he was the iconic main character. I always perceived Luigi to be on the sidelines.. On another note though I can't imagine Mario will last forever for Nintendo. I do feel though it would be difficult for them to make a new iconic character that matches the popularity Mario achieved..

FYI: adjusted your topic title and added a poll to it - feel free to refine it further if you like (via Thread Tools on the top right).

• Like 1

Actually, my exposure to Mario was through the first NES game and yes, that's one of the cartoons you linked. There were three and a Legend of Zelda cartoon. Anyway, they originally aired from 1989 -1991 in syndication. Koopa's motivation was more defined too. No interest in Peach...he wanted her kingdom and also was money hungry. The cartoons also made me a fan of Toad, despite my wanting to throw him into the lava in SMB everytime he said, "Sorry our princess is in another castle". lol

The first one was the Super Mario Bros Super Show. It had a live-action segment where the brothers were shown at their home and plumbing company in Brooklyn and had a dilema or issue for the segment and sometimes they'd have guest stars, like Cyndi Lauper (which wasn't surprising since she was a wrestling fan and a big fan of Lou's and were friends). Anyway, they were portrayed by the late Captain Lou Albano (Mario) and the late Danny Wells (Luigi). They also voiced the chatacters in this first version. Between the segments, a Mario cartoon would air.

The cartoon used elements from the first two games (our Mario 2). The enemies in this series included those like Mouser and Triclyde and Shy Guys, those ostriches, some enemy Birdos, etc. Each episode was generally themed, for the most part, and I definitely have to give credit where credit is due. They were pretty creative, especially since the first two games didn't have many power ups. Only the star, fire flower, and mushroom. In the show they never used the mushroom and they rarely used power ups. The most consistent item used was the potion that could make a door (SMB2). That's how Koopa always got away.

The plot was that Mario and Luigi were doing some plumbing, but were sucked into a drain which was really a warp zone and saving Princess and Toad accidentally. Mario and Luigi are trying to find a way back home to Brooklyn while also trying to return the princess' mushroom people back to normal and finding others who can help reverse what Koopa did (first game's story loosely) while avoiding Koopa.

It aired Monday - Thursday and had about 52 eps I think. On Fridays (with previews all week by the guests or the live-action brothers), they'd air a Legend of Zelda cartoon, based on the first two games. 13 eps. I used to rush home from school as a kid to watch both of these.

Only thing that sucks is that the show used a lot of licensed music, so if you find say the DVD sets, you'll get different music for some parts of certain eps.

The next one to come out (1990) and continue where the Super Show left off, I guess you could say, was the Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3, which was about 26 eps long. They thought Koopa was gone but he returned with his Doom Ship and attacked the kingdom and this series also introduced the Koopa Kids. So yeah, based on elements from SMB3. Lou and Danny didn't reprise their roles, but they still sounded ok. I liked their Brooklyn/Italian accents in general for these cartoons .

In 1991, we got the Super Mario World cartoon, only 12 I think.. For it, you find out that Mario, Luigi, and the princess decided to go on vacation and chose Dino Land. Luigi finds Yoshi after his egg hatched and referred to Luigi as "Monma Luigi". lol

Sorry...blabbed on and on .^^

Edited by Guest

Have to vote for Mario, because as soon as I hear "Mario" I instantly go into a nostalgia fit for Super Mario 64. When I hear "Luigi" I think of a squeegee because they sound the same and I'm just crazy like that.

• Like 1

One day I'll play Mario 64 properly. Just like with Mario RPG at the time, it bugged me that Luigi wasn't a playable character in the game. I guess it's because I was spoiled by the cartoons where they worked together to help the Mushroom Kingdom safe so for me, when I hear "Mario Bros" I expect both.

Well, I prefer Luigi because he isn't just a gary-stu good ol' good guy. He's got characterization. But it wasn't until I found out about his lightning powers that I started actually "liking" him more than Mario. I mean, FREAKIN' LIGHTNING POWERS! It's his own counter to Mario's fire attacks. I was really disappointed that they didn't give Luigi lightning powers in SM4SH...

I own the entire Mario and Zelda cartoon series.

Anyways, Luigi is much better than Mario IMO. Luigi's mansion is pretty awesome and that proves that Mario got kidnapped even more times than Daisy... I'm a huge Nintendo nut, okay?

I'm not particularly fond of either, but if I had to choose, I would probably say Luigi as that is usually who I played as in all the Mario spinoff games like Mario Golf, Baseball, Kart, etc.

Well, I prefer Luigi because he isn't just a gary-stu good ol' good guy. He's got characterization. But it wasn't until I found out about his lightning powers that I started actually "liking" him more than Mario. I mean, FREAKIN' LIGHTNING POWERS! It's his own counter to Mario's fire attacks. I was really disappointed that they didn't give Luigi lightning powers in SM4SH...

He does?! I haven't played any Nintendo games for a very long time so I guess I wouldn't know... but that certainly is interesting.

He does?! I haven't played any Nintendo games for a very long time so I guess I wouldn't know... but that certainly is interesting.

...It's only in Mario & Luigi Superstar sage on the GBA.

Even so, they should've lightning powers in smash, it would separate him from Mario even more.

...It's only in Mario & Luigi Superstar sage on the GBA.

Even so, they should've lightning powers in smash, it would separate him from Mario even more.

He also uses lightning powers in Super Strikers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...