Wedgy

One Punch Man Season 2

Thread may contain spoilers **

Haven't seen a thread for this. Any thoughts on this second season so far? I'm not super thrilled about it just yet. In fact, my husband and I have decided to take a break from it for a while because the pacing just isn't doing it for us. It doesn't feel as good as season one and I'm concerned.

We feel they are introducing too many new characters and offing them too quickly for us to really have time to care about them. Meanwhile, the characters we do care about (ie. Saitama and Genos) are for the most part out of the picture and are just off doing… something. It's been too unfocused/scattered and dare I say random.

Maybe I'll change my mind later. We still intend to finish it eventually. I hope things pick up soon.

Edited by Wedgy
Ffs this formatting

As a manga (and webcomic) reader, I love the story that happens after season 1. I think Garou is an excellently written character, and other also characters get to shine. However, the awkward pacing, odd editing, and low frame action sequences make it very hard to watch.

Just to note, Saitama actually isn't all that prevalent in the source material (the webcomic). He's still the main character, but I think season 1 gave off the impression that he would always have screentime when that necessarily isn't true.

Edited by Kinbaryu

Oh wow so season 2 is really a disappointment?

That sucks. After making us wait for this long. Didn't they say because a different studio made season 2? 

And they weren't given a big budget?

3 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Oh wow so season 2 is really a disappointment?

That sucks. After making us wait for this long. Didn't they say because a different studio made season 2? 

And they weren't given a big budget?

To be fair, Madhouse (the original studio for One Punch Man) isn't really doing too well right now. Just look at the recent installments of Overlord, which also had a huge amount of time to prepare for the later seasons. It looked horrible, so I'd still pick JC Staff over Madhouse, but Studio Bones would be my top choice if I was in charge. (which I am obviously not)

As far as I know, there hasn't been any official notes about the budget, so I won't say anything there. But from what I know, season 2 will have more action than season 1, so cost cutting is probably necessary, which means now we're left with this Genos that just looks... off. I'll let you decide for yourself since it seems like you haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler

Image result for genos one punch man season 2

In every scene he's in, his robotic body sticks out like a sore thumb. It is undoubtedly a step down from season 1 Genos, which doesn't have the same issue.

Spoiler

Image result for genos one punch man season 1

It does look like very cheap metal (in the first pic / season 2). Like Genos used low quality parts for his arms. Like he got them from a junk yard.

While the second pic his arms look more streamlined. Like it was made in a factory or in a laboratory by a professional.

Basically they took more effort in season 1 to detail his robotic arms.

I'm assuming the story is good though? Meaning it's still worth watching just for that?

Edited by Ryan Dave Jimenez
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

To be fair, Madhouse (the original studio for One Punch Man) isn't really doing too well right now. Just look at the recent installments of Overlord, which also had a huge amount of time to prepare for the later seasons. It looked horrible, so I'd still pick JC Staff over Madhouse, but Studio Bones would be my top choice if I was in charge. (which I am obviously not)

As far as I know, there hasn't been any official notes about the budget, so I won't say anything there. But from what I know, season 2 will have more action than season 1, so cost cutting is probably necessary, which means now we're left with this Genos that just looks... off. I'll let you decide for yourself since it seems like you haven't seen it yet.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for genos one punch man season 2

In every scene he's in, his robotic body sticks out like a sore thumb. It is undoubtedly a step down from season 1 Genos, which doesn't have the same issue.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for genos one punch man season 1

I thought he looked a bit different. Now I know I'm not crazy. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I'm assuming the story is good though? Meaning it's still worth watching just for that?

I'm not sure if "pacing" exists in manga/webcomics, but the story definitely feels awkward in the anime. That's actually my biggest issue, not the visuals or animation. Sometimes a serious scene will be suddenly cut with dialogue/monologue and then a joke. I'll just sit there, thinking, "wow that was... weird".

I don't recall ever thinking that while I was reading the manga/webcomic or watching season 1, but I guess the meat and bones of the story are still there. Also, there are some nods for upcoming villains that I don't remember being in the original manga/webcomic, so those were actually pretty exciting to see. I can only imagine what viewing season 2 is like for someone who has only seen season 1, though.

Edited by Kinbaryu

8 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

I'm not sure if "pacing" exists in manga/webcomics, but the story definitely feels awkward in the anime. That's actually my biggest issue, not the visuals or animation. Sometimes a serious scene will be suddenly cut with dialogue/monologue and then a joke. I'll just sit there, thinking, "wow that was... weird".

I don't recall ever thinking that while I was reading the manga/webcomic or watching season 1, but I guess the meat and bones of the story are still there. Also, there are some nods for upcoming villains that I don't remember being in the original manga/webcomic, so those were actually pretty exciting to see. I can only imagine what viewing season 2 is like for someone who has only seen season 1, though.

What a bummer. I was really looking forward to season 2. Now I'm on the fence.

Well I guess the manga or webcomic is still there anyways. Might give those a try.

I’m currently watching it and don’t consider it the best show of the Spring season, but it’s not the worst either. The quality of the animation and CG is definitely the biggest shortcoming. I don’t mind that Saitama isn’t the main focus a lot of the time as the while one-and-done thing is actually pretty boring (and yes I’ve read the articles/essays about how it’s a metaphor) and didn’t think season 1 was the greatest thing ever, so not a typical fan. I actually like there appears to be more of an actual story this time, though it  jumps around between different situations and characters too much.

19 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

You're convincing me I need to go find the webcomic. Pacing translates a bit differently when you're reading as opposed to when you're viewing. Books tend to either move at a crawl or develop quickly chapter to chapter, and further depends on your own personal reading speed. Some people could read a book in a day while others it would take a week. Viewing speed on the other hand doesn't change. It sometimes feels like you're held hostage. Therefore the pacing is a lot more noticeable. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Wedgy said:

You're convincing me I need to go find the webcomic.

Do whatever you feel like. 😁

I think both the manga and webcomic are both worth reading, but they seem to send different messages. I gave the manga an 8 and the webcomic a 10. Like Saitama himself, the webcomic has little fluff and gets straight to the point/jokes when possible.

I have not even seen season one for One Punch Man admittedly it did not look to interesting at the time. Though since it is now 2 seasons, and is showing more promise I will be checking it out.

• Like 1

I’m glad that it seems like the story finally is getting more focused and building to something. 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I’m glad that it seems like the story finally is getting more focused and building to something. 

Yeah I'm glad the Super Fight Tournament arc is finally over, (it was my least favorite part in the manga) but I doubt we'll see the full Monster Association arc by the end of season 1. Hopefully we get to see more of certain characters I won't spoil. For you non-manga readers, the following dropdown is a semi-spoiler. I won't spoil stuff that hasn't been covered yet, so this is more of a recap of stuff the anime has skipped.

Spoiler

The Pork Cutlet Bowl arc does not exist in the anime. I don't remember it being covered in an OVA or special, but it's hugely important to developing who Saitama is, like the Deep Sea King and Meteorite arcs. Skipping this arc dumbs down One Punch Man considerably.

Where the hell is Glasses? Glasses is introduced a major theme into One Punch Man, emphasizing how Saitama truly was a regular guy. The point of Glasses was to inspire the hopeless into becoming a better version of yourself, even if the people around you don't believe in you. Removing that theme just makes Saitama look like a hack that cheated his way into achieving his power.

I completely understand skipping some chapter extra, but these two are integral to the themes of One Punch Man. The show just doesn't make sense to me without Glasses, and future episodes will likely have a lessened impact because of the removal of his character.

• Informative 1

@Kinbaryu

Thanks for the info, I’m definitely interested in checking out the manga now since my biggest complaint about the anime is how uninteresting and undeveloped Saitama’s character seems

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Seems like today's episode is delayed until next week. Hopefully that gives the studio time to polish the finished product.

• Like 1

as much as people complain about the animation; its not as good as season 1. Though its still way better then Berserk 

On 5/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, Wedgy said:

You're convincing me I need to go find the webcomic. Pacing translates a bit differently when you're reading as opposed to when you're viewing. Books tend to either move at a crawl or develop quickly chapter to chapter, and further depends on your own personal reading speed. Some people could read a book in a day while others it would take a week. Viewing speed on the other hand doesn't change. It sometimes feels like you're held hostage. Therefore the pacing is a lot more noticeable. 

I don't see anything wrong with the pacing. If anything its just saitama telling people what they are doing wrong, and it feels like most of the time he doesn't want to kill. Thats why he's trying to make them change mind.  Some of the monsters just like to talk about how powerful they are. If that was taken out, then saitama would just kill all the monsters in 1 hit, and you would have nothing but 10 min eps.  If you think one punch man has bad pacing you never watched DBZ. 

@Serge heartless I can't say comparing it to DBZ makes it somehow different or redeems it (and note: this is opinion.) DBZ was terrible about this, and that was almost entirely the reason Kai exists. I'm not here to rank them. The existence of one franchise's perks or flaws does not necessarily need to set the bar for another. 

I explained earlier that the pacing, to me, feels unsatisfying only because much of what was presented at that point felt like aimless filler material. Can't say I follow where you're going on about Saitama talking to people; a good chunk of the season hasn't even focused on him and he's been notably absent from screentime, which @Kinbaryu did explain may be a product of the way the source material is written. 

Certainly things have picked up a little since I last posted in this thread. I never said I wasn't going to keep an open mind about it. I still expect that things might come together and make use of the early episodes' seemingly pointless filler to tell a more overarching story. That is my hope, anyhow. 

You have to think about this though. DBZ Is maybe the biggest anime in America, and a lot of people see it as the best. Even though it takes 20 eps for something to happen. And the Garlic Jr saga is maybe one of the worst parts. And the Buu saga is a mess.  As for one punch man season 1, its only like 11 eps. To me the pacing is fine.  

Then you also have one piece now, which has over a 1000 eps, which I also don't have the time to catch up on. And now One piece is the biggest anime right now. Even though the animation looks like it was drawn by a 12 year old. 

Edited by Serge heartless

That's totally fine if that's the reason you personally find it to be satisfying for the reasons you have given. That's your opinion of the anime and its yours to form.

I do not like DBZ. I do not like One Piece, either. It doesn't make sense for me to use them as a litmus test for what I personally should be enjoying just because much of the world might disagree with me. 

• Like 1

@Serge heartless , I think the point that @Wedgy is trying to make is that even though other popular anime may have worse pacing than One Punch Man, we should still be able to criticize the pacing in One Punch Man. 

Personally I think that the show's pacing is wonky, and suffers greatly because of the cut content.

• Like 2