Why does it take some artists forever to finish a manga series?

Guest Jupiter

Guest Jupiter

Been reading this manga called Guyver:Bioboosted Armor. Its been an ongoing series since the 80's. Everyone is beginning to wonder if the artist is going to finish it as he is old. Some times an issue won't post until after 2 months as he is really slow and some times the chapters are very very short. Why are some artists like that?

Most of the time it comes down to lack of inspiration or that their personal lives are busy , if you think Guyver is bad just look at Hunter X Hunter the Mangaka went on hiatus for 2 years (if I recall correctly) and that was because he was playing WOW or some MMORPG and it took up all of his time ,also it happened more than once -_- . Most of the fans are pretty upset with him .

Many of them just like to keep the series dragging on as long as it takes, not that different from the American comic book industry. Some of them are just so attached to their stories that they keep on wanting to share their world with the readers, which is cool and all, but then you get something like D.Gray-man, which was unfortunately unfinished.

Some times an issue won't post until after 2 months as he is really slow and some times the chapters are very very short.

2 month? Those are 2 days in terms of how often "Berserk" updates.

The author only updates it once every 3-6 month or something.

He keeps playing Dragon Quest and Idol Master.

AWLuPtM.thumb.jpg.ca052dd808898e91a936e56dc706fd65.jpg

Picture VERY relevant.

• 2 weeks later...

God...Hunter x Hunter! Hiatus after hiatus! Some if them haven't been months but YEARS. He's lucky i care about this series.

Anyway, some authors take a while because they want to end it at a certain point. Detective Conan comes to mind. Gosho I think wants to reach 1000 chapters or something. I just hope he doesn't drop dead (or me) before reading the conclusion.

I also think some keep going because of pressure from the publishers. Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon come to mind. Both were supposed to have ended earlier than they actually did, but they were popular and both were continued.

Most of the time it comes down to lack of inspiration or that their personal lives are busy , if you think Guyver is bad just look at Hunter X Hunter the Mangaka went on hiatus for 2 years (if I recall correctly) and that was because he was playing WOW or some MMORPG and it took up all of his time ,also it happened more than once -_- . Most of the fans are pretty upset with him .
That was a joke. I think he's a Dragon Quest fan anyway. I know a few of the hiatuses was due to illness, the other the birth of his kids. Other than that, not sure. You can see in his work how much the art's changed compared to earlier. Also, there was a two year hiatus and a long one prior to that. We're going on another year now, of beinf in a hiatus.

Either way, by this point, i just stopped caring and will take whatever I can get.

• 2 months later...

Some go on hiatus, some have longer chapters I guess there art process takes longer, and some haven't planned ahead as much so need longer to plan story

• 1 month later...

Some artists for example HunterXHunter creator yoshihiro togashi takes breaks ranging from months to years before completing a chapter or two. It usually depends on the mangaka Take a look at Toriyama, even though he's finished with Dragon Ball he still gives some pointers to the new mangaka who's crating the new Dragonball Super Manga.