Do you have trouble with your Internet?

Guest Jupiter

Guest Jupiter

Do you have trouble with your Internet? I'm not asking if its all the time. Just sometimes or if there was a time you had trouble with it.

I do once in a while with our Internet provider. Some times our Internet is hot and cold. One minute its on, the other minute its losing connection. So it can be pretty frustrating when you're looking at things or need to look up something.

Lately its been problematic. Probably time for a new modem.

Um... replacing a modem doesn't just automatically fix your problem. :P

My internet service provider is fairly good, and pretty much never goes down. Sometimes there can be slow downs in the evening when higher paying customers are using up all their bandwidth.

I have problems with my internet provider quite often they sometimes slow us down for no reason and then there's "Load shedding" ,thanks Eskom , they turn off the power in certain areas to save electricity and reduce the cost because we only have one power supplying company in SA and they don't know how to price the electricity properly because they have no competition and so they put the price way up .If you want to have solar panels or alternate sources of electricity Eskom takes you off their grid because people used to generate so much that they would sell their exes electricity back to Eskom and Eskom didn't like that . . .

I've always had issues with ISPs in my area. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because there are only two.

My connection always seems to short out and take a few minutes to come back on. It's not that frequent, but when it happens it's extremely annoying. Has happened with cable and DSL, so I have no idea. At least with DSL it doesn't go down for days. I used to have to wait a full week for the cable company to come and get it fixed.

Like @drill said, replacing the modem doesn't always help. They had me do that a few times and I still had issues. It must have something to do with the wiring in your house or their coverage.

I used to have a few dropouts when I was on ADSL but since moving to a new area with FTTP (Fibre to the premises) it has been really rock solid. 100/40 mbps is great for sharing with several people in the household. :)

One minute its on, the other minute its losing connection. So it can be pretty frustrating when you're looking at things or need to look up something.

Could be congestion at the exchange... when I was on ADSL during evening peak (especially on school holidays) my Internet would slow down considerably.

Oh yeah, pretty frequently. My router is wireless, and I share the connection with my dad so I had to put the router in my living room, right outside the door to my bedroom. Unfortunately, the distance makes the connection weaker, and I would usually only get 200-400kb/s download speed.

This is on my Windows platform though. On my iMac, you could run both Windows and Yosemite (Mac's current platform), and on my Yosemite, the speed usually goes to about 500-1mb/s download speed, despite the router's distance. If I were to either place the router beside my computer or just connect it with a lan-cable, then the speed can reach about 2mb/s if I'm lucky. Maybe 3mb/s.

Aside from the speed problems, back then, my router always shuts down on its own for some reason, probably due to a loose power-plug. No matter how I twisted the power-plug though, it wouldn't turn back on, until I twist and twist the cable repetitively, rotating it around the power socket of the router. We had my ISP replace the router recently, and we haven't had that problem ever since.

Furthermore, my ISP also does the occasional 'maintenance' that leaves you without connection for several hours. This can be rather jarring. "NO INTERNET FOR HOURS?! OH MY GOD!" lol

My internet provider IMO is excellent, though a couple of months ago my internet would crash continuously at exactly 9 pm. I was so confused at first I would restart my macbook, download extensions, remove extensions trying to make it work, but then magically at 1 am it'll work again.

This happened for a week or so and I was very frustrated, but now it seems as though it's gone, Still never found out what it was though xD

• 2 weeks later...
If I were to either place the router beside my computer or just connect it with a lan-cable, then the speed can reach about 2mb/s if I'm lucky. Maybe 3mb/s.

I must admit I'm a little surprised. You live in Singapore right? From what I heard, you have lots of fibre Internet - which absolutely slaughters our Internet speeds in Australia. Even though we have some fibre, the majority of our Internet is still on ADSL 2+ broadband which is capped at 20/1 mbps and is "best effort" due to our deteriorating copper network.

Looking at Singtel's website you potentially have access to 1 Gbps fibre Internet. Though we have some fibre, it's capped at 100 mbps at the moment for home use.

I must admit I'm a little surprised. You live in Singapore right? From what I heard, you have lots of fibre Internet - which absolutely slaughters our Internet speeds in Australia. Even though we have some fibre, the majority of our Internet is still on ADSL 2+ broadband which is capped at 20/1 mbps and is "best effort" due to our deteriorating copper network.

Looking at Singtel's website you potentially have access to 1 Gbps fibre Internet. Though we have some fibre, it's capped at 100 mbps at the moment for home use.

What's fibre-what? lol Sorry, I'm not familiar with the technicalities.

For the record, I don't use Singtel. I'm using Starhub.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to. My router would sometimes just randomly cut off and come back around 30 seconds later. All I had to do was re-seat the router and restart it on a different power source. Then it has worked fine to this day