Is anime getting less and less graphic?

Guest Jupiter

Guest Jupiter

I've noticed in most older anime that its pretty graphic and very violent. Even some anime movies that I've watched from the 90's were pretty hard core. But as most anime shows that I've been watching, they're not near as violent or brutal. I'm sure there is some that is really violent and brutal, but I'm meaning as a whole or a spectrum. Is anyone noticing this as well?

I just can't find an anime that is super violent. Sure, Attack on Titan is pretty hard core, Akira was hard core, Ghost in the Shell....the first movie was hard core versus the first 2 seasons, Claymore was hard core, Guyver.....2005 adaptation was violent....but not like the OVA's. Blood the last vampire pretty hard core, Hellsing hard core, Gants....pretty solid. But the rest I've been looking at......eh not so much.

I've noticed in most older anime that its pretty graphic and very violent. Even some anime movies that I've watched from the 90's were pretty hard core. But as most anime shows that I've been watching, they're not near as violent or brutal. I'm sure there is some that is really violent and brutal, but I'm meaning as a whole or a spectrum. Is anyone noticing this as well?

Perhaps you've been watching the wrong shows? I haven't really noticed this, but I've only been watching anime for two years and super violent anime aren't exactly my cup of tea.

I just can't find an anime that is super violent. Sure, Attack on Titan is pretty hard core, Akira was hard core, Ghost in the Shell....the first movie was hard core versus the first 2 seasons, Claymore was hard core, Guyver.....2005 adaptation was violent....but not like the OVA's. Blood the last vampire pretty hard core, Hellsing hard core, Gants....pretty solid. But the rest I've been looking at......eh not so much.

To be honest, it sounds like all you are looking for is violence, even if you have to sacrifice story/characters to get it. There are plenty of anime released now with violence, but you can't really create a good plot or develop characters if all you have is violence. If you want a modern violent anime, perhaps try out Fate/Zero, if that isn't good enough for you, I'm not really sure what is. :P

Guest Jupiter

Well to be more specific. I mean as far as limbs and what not getting ripped off and such. Watched Angel Sanctuary and there quite bit of gore in that in some scenes. Claymore and Guyver showed limbs and heads getting cut off. Hellsing showed head shots and a lot of gore. Stuff like that. Bleach didn't really show stuff like that.

Well to be more specific. I mean as far as limbs and what not getting ripped off and such. Watched Angel Sanctuary and there quite bit of gore in that in some scenes. Claymore and Guyver showed limbs and heads getting cut off. Hellsing showed head shots and a lot of gore. Stuff like that. Bleach didn't really show stuff like that.

Bleach is a mainstream shounen anime, so it shouldn't be showing stuff like that, and you shouldn't be expecting it from a show like that. Again, I think you are just watching the wrong shows. Try Fate/Zero, and if you want something that's airing, try Arslan Senki.

• Agree 1

I have to agree with @drill , anime isn't getting less violent and gory ,it's all about what you're watching and you definitely wont find gore in any mainstream anime because the general populous wouldn't like it . If you know what your looking for and stay away from your mainstream / well known anime series you will find some great anime .

BTW : what do you classify as gore . . .because most of the series that you listed are pretty tame .

I'm not sure of many series that are extremely violent, but I guess that depends on what you think of as violent.

Have you seen Akame ga Kill!? It didn't hold back with deaths or limbs. Would you consider Tokyo Ghoul violent? I actually no idea whether I would since the first season wasn't that violent, IIRC.

I'm not sure of many series that are extremely violent, but I guess that depends on what you think of as violent.

True , I don't really view any anime as being particularly violent (old or new) , though some have some gory scenes I don't believe that that alone is enough for me to call them gory , hence my saying what I did and my problem with picking recommendations.

Okay, can you guys fix me up with a list of super violent anime?

The nest that I can offer are some anime that have some gory scenes.

On that note here are the series:

Berserk

Mirai Nikki

Akame ga Kill

Black Lagoon (If I remember correctly there is some gore in there)

High School of the Dead

Dead Man Wonderland

Afro Samurai

Another

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

Anyway I hope you enjoy and give me some feedback on if they are gory or not

• Geano locked this topic