Favorite manga

Yuuki_Radosian

What's your favorite manga and why ?

What were the positive points that drew you in and what were the negative points that made you think twice before saying . . . [insert name here] is my favorite ! .

For myself my favorite is Hajime no Ippo .

Aside from the Inspirational story of a young man who was bullied who slowly overcomes his weakness and becomes a great boxer . It also shows how Ippo doesn't abuse that power as well as how he goes from having no friends to makng friends with the most unlikely of people (even those that used to bully). Ippo also displays a level of respect for not only the sport of boxing but also his opponents .

In addition to all that good stuff there is also the hilarious antics of Takamura , Aoki and Kimura . We also get to see a lot of growth in all these characters with Ippo over the years as they train together , Takamura is an insanely good fighter who will do almost anything within the rules to win. Takamura is also very full of himself but always gives 100% to boxing and has the utmost respect for Kamogawa and cares for his friends (although he shows it in an odd way) , Aoki is an oddball who fighs in a style that makes no sense (much like himself) , Kimura is often with Aoki and the two of them are constantly playing pranks and causing trouble as well as getting into trouble with Takamura.

On the down side the manga is pretty old and very long but for me the main "bad" factor is Ippo's uselessnes with women (even with his *Ahem. . . "Advantage").

I don't really read a lot of books, even when they have pictures in it. :P

That said, my favorite manga are some of the darker psychological stories, like Oyasumi Punpun. That was fun, as it talked a lot about controversial themes that made me question my perspectives and stuff. I like it when stories do that, giving the audience an opportunity for discussion.

I'm not sure why, but I'm drawn to depressing stories like Punpun. There's just a certain addiction that comes with reading about a screwed up life spiraling into despair. It makes you want to see how much more torment would the protagonist go through. And it's great that Punpun didn't do it in an extremely unrealistic manner like many so-called 'dark manga' stories, and its themes keep to rather realistic subjects such as heartbreaks, bullying, religious bigots, and even the meaning of continuing living in a meaningless world where 'God' is a figure of your imagination. Yeah, it's that kind of story.

Another manga that shared this depressing tone of nihilism was another of my favorite, "Bokurano". Not only was it fun to deconstruct some of the unaddressed aspects in sci-fi/action movies (like the collateral damage in the recent "Man of Steel"), it has really well-written characters as well, which is a bonus when you are reading about a story that deals with the vulnerability of a child living in an adult world.

A more cruel story, written by the same author, was called "Shadow Star Narutaru". lol I read that merely for the guilty pleasure of seeing characters suffering. It's not terrible by any means, but it's so dark that it might induce apathy among some readers.

Countrouble

The comedy in this is priceless. Situational comedy can be a hit or miss, and usually is a miss for me, but this one did it perfectly. Also, the romance actually had development instead of the MC being too dense and the story just drags on. The only real flaw to the manga is that there was a bit of fanservice probably comparable to The World God Only Knows, but maybe a tad more than that.

Guest Jupiter

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor and Claymore.

Not a universal manga reader, but those are on my list of favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

Onoani Master Kurosawa

Man, this manga really touched me. It's been my favorite manga for 4 years. and I honestly don't think anything in the world would change that.

Ani Doki!

It's really generic, but I really liked it regardless of how predictable it was.

Angel Densetsu

Romance at its finest.

Bonnouji

>tfw no gf.

The World God Only Knows:

Anime was okay at best, Manga was awesome.

Pokemon Adventures:

I didn't grow up with the pokemon anime like 90% of pokemon fans my age. (We didn't have cable or even good Internet:?) But looking back at it years later... I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Pokemon Adventures, on the other hand, is a bit darker than the games while the anime is quite a bit more lighthearted. So it's a source where more mature fans can still enjoy Pokemon.

• 5 months later...

Kami nomi no zhiru sekai

definitely the best manga I've read so far, its just brilliant, the art, the comedy, the way it goes(plot), thet characters and the way it ends, all of them were just brilliant.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Have too many but I'll choose one from it.

My (one of the) favourite manga is Bokura Ga Ita.

What I liked about it was that it showed me how cruel the reality can be and the how to move on.

What I hate about this was that he had ....(say x real fast and you'll know what it is)..... with girls just to get over someone.

Don't ask me to explain cause I'm really bad at it.

A Cheeky Angel

This is an old favorite. Unfortunately, it's a title that not many people seem to have heard of, which is a real shame. The whole premise is very comical and the chemistry between the characters is extremely clever. The art style isn't the greatest and I think that's what turns a lot of people off, but if you can get past that, it's a very rewarding read.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Nobless (for now xD)

Well first of all the art is amazing and quiet good . While I'm here drawing stickmen. The plot is very intresting and well developed while the characters are soo cute and funny xD Especially Rai and Frankenstien and ....many more. Rai is an Op MC he is quiet but also very xute at times, while Frankenstien is very loyal to Rai , and respects him to the fact of snapping and being a great monster xD haha . I can go on and on. (plus bishies xD hawt) With great plot, good art and cute characters what more can I ask ?

• 1 month later...

Hideout

The way the manga built its atmosphere was amazing and the characters were really great. I also really enjoyed the art for this as well. The only negative I have with it is that they have another female character besides the MC's wife but they never really went into detail on her back story.

• 3 weeks later...

Koe no Katachi

It is the best manga I have read so far. It has a great MC, has great drama and characters, and although it is a romance, it isn't fluffy.

• 4 months later...

Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - Syaoran and Sakura are back, although they're not quite the same ones that we know!

It's a shame that the anime was simplified a bit for various reasons:

• Copyright - the series features a number of characters from other CLAMP properties, thus they'd have to pay other animation studios to use them, I think;
  • Complexity - Bee Train didn't realise CLAMP's brilliance, and thus made some incorrect assumptions about things, and because of this, only did 52 episodes!

I'm sure I had at least another reason, but I've forgotten it! That said, the anime had a great soundtrack, one which, when reading the manga, I could actually hear playing in my head in the mirroring chapters ;)!

Also the anime did bring up some interesting concepts, one of which might have even been an actual nod by CLAMP to something that would later become apparent in the manga; during Series 1, CLAMP did still have quite a bit of control over the anime!

There are some quite cool stuff in the manga, for CLAMP fans, the idea that Sakura is friends with the Magic Knight Rayearth girls conjures up the idea that Sakura is out capturing the Clow Cards, whilst Umi, Fuu and Hikaru are popping over to Cephiro, whilst neither party is aware of the other's magical actions ;)!

I quite liked Chrono Crusade's manga, as it focused on the villains a bit, "humanising" them, which was quite interesting!

Mai-HiME's manga is quite interesting, as it's quite different to the anime, Yuuji Tate is even the main character (supposedly), instead of Tokiha Mai, Mai-Otome's manga is also different to the anime, even gives Eristin Ho a happy ending!

Actually need to get round to reading Mai-HiME Destiny light novel, and Mai-HiME EXA!

Kami nomi no zhiru sekai

definitely the best manga I've read so far, its just brilliant, the art, the comedy, the way it goes(plot), thet characters and the way it ends, all of them were just brilliant.

I need to read the manga at somepoint, it's a shame that they didn't animate everything up to the goddess arc, as I would have liked to see Hinoki in the anime! I think my favourite captures were Kanon and Jun Nagase, however Shiori was cute too, with her stories! Although I have a soft spot for Chihiro because of the goddess arc!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ashita no Joe

I bet you plebs haven't heard of it :^ )

Seriously though, it's almost 50 years old manga about boxing but I think it's really a masterpiece. If I remember right, Hajime no Ippo was inspired by it as well.

The main character is utter and complete douchebag, he pretty much makes trouble everywhere he goes but there's reason for that why is like that and gets plenty of character development.

Also what I like about it that protagonist doesn't suddenly gets a power-up and wins by some miracle, there's some kind of strategy in each fight.

• 4 weeks later...
A Cheeky Angel

This is an old favorite. Unfortunately, it's a title that not many people seem to have heard of, which is a real shame. The whole premise is very comical and the chemistry between the characters is extremely clever. The art style isn't the greatest and I think that's what turns a lot of people off, but if you can get past that, it's a very rewarding read.

A Cheeky Angel was actually one of the first anime I've watched when I became a fan. Then ending was bad in the anime. So I was wondering how did it end in the manga?

I am not a huge consumer of manga. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to them. It takes a lot to get me to read something and 20th Century Boys was one manga that hooked me. I don't know why. I can't explain it. I just started reading one chapter and before you know it I was reading for hours. At that time I also didn't know that the manga was legendary. I thought it was just one average or obscure manga.

Legend of Zelda. It really caught my eye, I loved the art and all the characters are really great. My favorite character is Princess Zelda then link, I like how the art has adapted over the years in Zelda, and it was a really cool and fun to read story despite it being the generic damsel in distress story-line for a long time; It has more than that and really is great if you give it a chance.

• 1 month later...

In the old days, my favorite manga was .hack//Legend of the Twilight. These days it's probably A Town Where You Live, though Ane Doki was great too.

Haruto Kirishima lived a calm life out in the countryside, away from the fast-paced life of the city. Then Yuzuki Eba appeared in his life out of nowhere, having come from Tokyo to briefly live with her family. Their time together left him enamored with the memories of that short period before she just as abruptly disappeared from his life, and left him full of questions.

Nana to Kaoru :blush:

It's a weird manga overall. It is a manga about psychology behind S&M, and although that'd usually imply that it's more about sex it really isn't. In fact I don't think that there's any scene with sex throughout the whole manga. I really liked it because I was always interested in that and I've never thought I'd find anything like that but I did. Truth to be told I read quite some time ago so I don't remember it that well, so I'll probably read it once again and update this post then. :)

The Breaker

*Honorable mention. I don't think that it even qualifies as manga since those are traditionally made in Japan and this one is from Korea.

Nana to Kaoru :blush:

It's a weird manga overall. It is a manga about psychology behind S&M, and although that'd usually imply that it's more about sex it really isn't. In fact I don't think that there's any scene with sex throughout the whole manga. I really liked it because I was always interested in that and I've never thought I'd find anything like that but I did. Truth to be told I read quite some time ago so I don't remember it that well, so I'll probably read it once again and update this post then. :)

The Breaker

*Honorable mention. I don't think that it even qualifies as manga since those are traditionally made in Japan and this one is from Korea.

My roommate rented the movie Nana to Kaoru a few weeks ago and was explaining the story. I said that I wouldn't mind checking out the manga someday.