Favorite manga

Yuuki_Radosian

My roommate rented the movie Nana to Kaoru a few weeks ago and was explaining the story. I said that I wouldn't mind checking out the manga someday.

There's a movie based on Nana to Kaoru??? :o

That seems like an odd idea. It's kinda like those situations when you're reading a book that you really like and then suddenly find out that there's a movie based on it which gives you mixed feelings... Will it be good or will it flop?? For me personally manga is probably the only medium that such work could be published in, since book wouldn't be graphic enough and movie wouldn't leave as much to the imagination as manga did. I'm not sure if I'd actually watch a movie since I really can't see how it'd be any good, but if your friend liked it then maybe I'd give it a shoot...

There's a movie based on Nana to Kaoru??? :o

That seems like an odd idea. It's kinda like those situations when you're reading a book that you really like and then suddenly find out that there's a movie based on it which gives you mixed feelings... Will it be good or will it flop?? For me personally manga is probably the only medium that such work could be published in, since book wouldn't be graphic enough and movie wouldn't leave as much to the imagination as manga did. I'm not sure if I'd actually watch a movie since I really can't see how it'd be any good, but if your friend liked it then maybe I'd give it a shoot...

Yeah, live-action movie. Forgot when the film was in theaters, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

OMGosh I have way too much. I read manga more then anything!!!! That said really hard to pick just one. But to randomly call out from the top of my head :

Tokyo crazy Paradise and Skip Beat (wrote a forum about why I love it)

Sabaku No Harem (just read the latest chapter love it) Really love the chemistry between the two leads also really funny

Nana (I consider this a classic) it gets me to the heart every time.

Othello about a girl over coming her fear but instead end up embracing her duel personalities.

DramaCon (Second favorite manga ka) I love the art the story and biggest part the comedy.

• 3 years later...

this is hard. 
well tokyo ghoul and dragonballZ, those were the ones that really brought me to manga and anime
but the quintessential quintuplets is good to
and I'll have to say dragonballsuper to, because I spent hours learning about it
so tokyo ghoul and all series of db

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As you can see, Oyasumi Punpun. 

It's a very interesting read and really makes you feel. In some ways, it's also quite relatable.

I love the story, characters and art style.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually a pretty big manga enthusiast, so I'm tempted to list a plethora of titles, but I'll try to keep it concise.

First of all, even though I had discovered Berserk recently (around 3 years ago, which is a short time compared to how many years people in this community have been around for), I quickly realized this would be the best manga I would probably ever read. I expect it to stay as my number one for a very long time to come.

That being said, currently holding the second spot would have to be Kokou no Hito (The Climber), although the Japanese title actually translates to "a solitary man". I had read it also very recently, about half a year ago and it left a fresh impact that has yet to be surpassed by something else. The manga is based on a novel with the same name, which in turn is based on a real life person by the name of Katō Buntarō who shares certain similarities with the main character. Because of this it tackles more literary themes, such as man vs self, man vs nature, adversity, self sacrifice, much like Berserk.

The story follows the life of Mori Buntarou and his heroic journey to become an exceptional mountain climber. I have to admit, the first 32 chapters don't give the best first impression. They focus on Buntarou's high school years and initiation into climbing, and they suffer from quite a couple of cliches. The artwork in the beginning is also inferior compared to the rest of the series. However, despite the somewhat misleading first quarter, it picks up abruptly for the remainder of the story.

It's a complicated story with striking art and visual symbolism, which I think is what the mangaka went for. It's a coming of age story, but not the slice of life type, it has a rather realistic/pessimistic tone to it. Even thought it's categorized as a sports series, I find it to be more of a psychological manga, but it offers a lot of insight into mountains and the sport of climbing. It does a great job at evoking powerful feelings out of the reader. I consider it to be a work of art, in the truest sense of the word.

It's a shame that it has no English publication. It was officially translated only in Italian and Chinese. I would love to have the whole physical collection in English but as of right now scans are probably the only way to read it in English.

Aside from that, other titles that I'm fond of are The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves, which is actually a Korean manhwa series. It's one of the best Karate Kid type formulas that I have encountered. Great artwork, drama, martial arts, the whole package.

Seacliff already put in a good word for the Pokemon Adventures manga above, but it really is a great series. The author, Kusaka, keeps it rooted in the gen I games, but aren't afraid to re-imagine a more detailed version of events and characters. In terms of art, Mato's emphasizes the story's childhood charm without resorting to moeblob cuteness, which is a plus. Every time I reread the series, its incredibly nostalgic.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was some years ago, I'd say Sailor Moon, which was my first manga and also one of the most important for my growth.

By now, it's Jojo Kimyou na Bouken, mostly Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, Vento Aureo and also Jojolion. 

I really got caught up with the hamon /stand dynamic and I felt in love with some characters, and until this day, I can't stress enough how I love Caesar Zeppelli as a whole. It has also helped me in a time I was in deep depression, and even though I still am, it is one of the best stories I've read, despite some plot holes, which are normal XD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...