• RPG
    • Shooter
    • Action
    • Adventure
    • Strategy
    • Sport
    • Simulation
    • Casual

What Genre/Genres are you particular to and why?

I know that I myself am drawn to RPG's and (real time) Strategy games my favorites being of course the Kingdom of Hearts series and the Age of empires games respectively.

I enjoy RPG's because I really enjoy leveling my character and upgrading powers so that I have a "custom" character what suits my play style and I enjoy (real time) Strategy because it makes you think about how to defeat your enemy like your an actual commander/ King ordering an army around .

lol "Casual".

Yeah, I picked "casual" and "adventure". I'm not really a 'hardcore' gamer per se. I like my games to have good stories (a trait that many gamers frowned upon), and I mostly prefer CYOA games with dialogue choices and a branching storyline. Many visual novels have that, but they just don't have the same kind of interactivity games like "Mass Effect" do, as it immerse you in the decision-making. Many RPGs have this element as well, but it's not an aspect exclusive to the RPG genre, which is why I didn't choose that.

RPGs can be fun, but sometimes, the gameplay kinda bogs down the story for me, resulting in me quitting before I could get through the story because I had to do multiple backtracking and mundane stuff like that. This is why I enjoyed Telltale's games a lot, as they were created with specifically the story in mind. Even a game with good story like Silent Hill 2 wasn't really the most amazing story ever, because its focus was on the survival horror elements. Not that it's bad, of course, just that it's not my thing.

It's a shame there aren't more games like the Mass Effect trilogy out there. I know a lot of old RPGs have massive branching storyline, but their pixelated character sprites kinda bothered me. lol

I am by no means a Hardcore Gamer either :P

I also really enjoy having choices in games and more specifically having repercussions to those decisions , Skyrim had this to a certian extent with the choice of which army you follow and also side quests affect the both the world around you and your character personally.

But a game I really enjoyed because of it's freedom was Kingdom of hearts , you could choose to go to different worlds and also optional side missions in each world would offer a large number of things from characters to assist you (summons basically) to hard to find Items and also special weapons or items to synthesize special weapons and extra bits of story that you wouldn't know of unless you did the side missions.

• Like 1

But a game I really enjoyed because of it's freedom was Kingdom of hearts , you could choose to go to different worlds and also optional side missions in each world would offer a large number of things from characters to assist you (summons basically) to hard to find Items and also special weapons or items to synthesize special weapons and extra bits of story that you wouldn't know of unless you did the side missions.

I was beginning to enjoy this element of RPGs recently, the freedom of being able to interact with a world and everything. One thing that bothered me though is when these games don't use these elements creatively. For example, if you don't interact with certain characters, the only consequence is that you won't be as powerful, or your 'stats' won't be as great, etc. I prefer it when it's something like "Chrono Trigger", where the consequences are associated with the kind of fate/ending your character will receive by the end. It's so much more fun than just, "Oh, I'll have a harder time killing monsters because I missed that buff."

I'm mostly drawn to strategy games like Fire Emblem or Age of Empires. However, as of late, its been more of the former. Mainly because I don't have anyone to play with, and the AI in AoE is... well... not that great. Whereas, with FE, I can pick it up and put it down whenever which is pretty nice. However, I have played a lot of other real time strategy games like Sins of a Solar Empire which is probably my favorite in that genre.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid I used to play shooting games and adventure ones. Shooting games I knew back then was just Counter Strike. And adventure? hmm, Super Mario I guess. =______=

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what to pick for the poll. I mostly play Nintendo stuff, which people I talk to often call "babby games." If I'm not playing some Nintendo console, I'm playing Stepmania, because rhythm is fun. I enjoy innocent, pure fun.

Although a lot of what I play do tend to have some violent or mature themes to them, it irritates me when people put down Nintendo games as being only kids games. Just because something doesn't involve a bunch of violence and language it does not mean that it cannot be enjoyed by adults as well as kids, and everyone in between.

Although a lot of what I play do tend to have some violent or mature themes to them, it irritates me when people put down Nintendo games as being only kids games. Just because something doesn't involve a bunch of violence and language it does not mean that it cannot be enjoyed by adults as well as kids, and everyone in between.

In comparison to Japan, America really tries hard to be mature and hardcore. The North American SNES featured a purple colour scheme as opposed to the more colourful, red, yellow, green and blue styled Super Famicon. While it's a little difference, Nintendo's main reason for this was because Americans are against "kiddy" things, such as extra colourful designs. It's kind of a theme with Americans to try hard to be mature and grown up by obsessing over "mature" themes, and it's a shame people don't appreciate the childishness/innocence like the Japanese do more so.

The Wii's extremely family-oriented marketing schemes did not help Nintendo to make a name for itself outside of "silly kiddy games" by any means. Silly Nintendo.

In comparison to Japan, America really tries hard to be mature and hardcore. The North American SNES featured a purple colour scheme as opposed to the more colourful, red, yellow, green and blue styled Super Famicon. While it's a little difference, Nintendo's main reason for this was because Americans are against "kiddy" things, such as extra colourful designs. It's kind of a theme with Americans to try hard to be mature and grown up by obsessing over "mature" themes, and it's a shame people don't appreciate the childishness/innocence like the Japanese do more so.

The Wii's extremely family-oriented marketing schemes did not help Nintendo to make a name for itself outside of "silly kiddy games" by any means. Silly Nintendo.

NIntendo was only trying to act all 'mature' in that age only to a certain extent. Remember how much censorship Mortal Kombat SNES had? Sega does what Nintendon't after all.

I wouldn't call the Wii kiddy as much as it's causal. But you have a good point there. Ever since Iwata became president it's been more about fancy gimmicks than power, it's not a bad thing but it's certainly dieing out with the poor-ish Wii U sales. Ironically though, I'm finding hardcore gamers picking the Wii U over XBONE and PS4. Splatoon seemed to had as much hype as Destiny and got overall better reception, while the cartoony Mario Kart 8 sold twice better than the best the PS4 have... PS4 has over twice the sales of the Wii U btw.

ON TOPIC (got carried away), the types of games I like to play, if you could tell, is Nintendo. I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan owning all of their consoles and being a fan of most of their mascots like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Meteoroid, etc. I'm also a bit of a retro Sega and Classic sony fan, but not to the same extreme as Nintendo. Zelda is my favorite gaming franchise, I've played through them all (not including spinoffs).

• 7 months later...

I'm a huge flan of rpgs and jrpgs, i love mah final fantasy, tales of and hdn. Also enjoy playing shooters online like battlefield, destiny and borderlands with friends for a laugh. The battlefield series i really really liked the bad company series, they had a touch of comedy you dont see on any shooters, not even the newest battlefield games.

I find it easier to take things case by case, rather than just saying that I like an entire genre. I would have to say my favorite would be RPG's, but I don't really like Final Fantasy. I don't like most shooters, like Call of Duty or Battlefield, but I've been playing a lot of Rainbow Six: Siege and Destiny.

• Like 1

I find it easier to take things case by case, rather than just saying that I like an entire genre. I would have to say my favorite would be RPG's, but I don't really like Final Fantasy. I don't like most shooters, like Call of Duty or Battlefield, but I've been playing a lot of Rainbow Six: Siege and Destiny.

Call of doody da best. <3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

RPGs are my number one choice. Stuff like .hack, Lunar, Grandia, and the Tales of series are some of the most memorable video games I've played. The gameplay and world design is very satisfying. I also like platformers. Best one that comes to mind is the first Jak and Daxter. That's a very fun game.

Edited by Guest