IT'S NOT A CARTOON!!!

Yuuki_Radosian

Have you ever had had a conversation similar to this one:

Friend: Hey , are you watching cartoons again?

You: [footsteps , loud banging sounds , muffled cries for help] It's ANIME , NOT A CARTOON!!!

I have . . . Once , with an old friend , he I mean we never spoke again .

(nah I'm kidding but it did end up as a topic we never spoke of again)

How do you deal with people calling anime cartoons and even worse calling cartoons anime @_@.

ntm1m9.jpg.3611fa0470e517b44892f09b8e9e369b.jpg

Depends on the context, I guess. "Cartoons" are usually used to denounce an animation as some kind of immature media, in which case, I'd just correct it as "anime". Technically though, "anime" is merely "animation" in Japanese, so I don't really see a big deal if the usage doesn't involve mockery.

To be fair, 'Anime' is a japanese term that means to any type of Animation.... but my annoyance with it depends on the show itself. Panty and Stocking shows a lot of western styled animation (more 'adult' however) while anime that takes themselves seriously won't work in the American market.

As a whole, it does annoy me, but not that much.

Cartoons are made to make people laugh , aside from the superhero cartoons .

Anime is much more versatile and draws on more than just comedy and the hero themes , I can't say that their not similar because the are both forms of animation but the difference between them is easily visible in both their quality and their stories , which is why I hate when people call anime cartoons . However , there are some anime that I would call cartoons like Panty and Stocking because of their animation style and focus being mainly on comedy , though admittedly with Panty and Stocking it was the animation that got me ( I know , I generalized it based on it's looks and I apologize for that).

I don't care either way. In Japan there's no real distinction. Anime just means animation. If you go to a video store, you'll find American titles sorted under "アニメ".

I just say a Japanese cartoon or an American one.

Cartoons are made to make people laugh , aside from the superhero cartoons .

Anime is much more versatile and draws on more than just comedy and the hero themes , I can't say that their not similar because the are both forms of animation but the difference between them is easily visible in both their quality and their stories , which is why I hate when people call anime cartoons . However , there are some anime that I would call cartoons like Panty and Stocking because of their animation style and focus being mainly on comedy , though admittedly with Panty and Stocking it was the animation that got me ( I know , I generalized it based on it's looks and I apologize for that).

It's still animation though. What about shows like the underrated Wait til your Father Gets Home or Mission Hill?

Interestingly some retail chains here in Australia have distinct sections for anime and cartoons/kid titles on the DVD/Blu-ray shelves. I know Sanity and JB Hi-Fi do. But more generic retailers like K-Mart and Target make no such distinction.

I honestly don't really care when people call anime "cartoon".

And i don't really blame them for calling them cartoons.

Well, that's how i used to feel at least.

It's kinda weird seeing people who haven't heard of anime since the explosion of SAO and AOT.

I don't care too if they call Anime Cartoons or not. For me Anime and Cartoons are kind of the same.

And I honestly can't find a reason why we should be angry when Someone would call anime "Cartoons".

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
I don't care too if they call Anime Cartoons or not. For me Anime and Cartoons are kind of the same.

And I honestly can't find a reason why we should be angry when Someone would call anime "Cartoons".

i disagree with that notion

for me there is a vast difference between the two.

cartoons have something like stock plots and characters, that is we all know where the story is going and what characters are like and we can anticipate what they`re exactly gonna do in a certain circumstance or situation. the story line is mainstream-ly known and most of the times none of the characters will be developed throughout the story. plus all of their endings are happy ones (i`m not sure maybe there are some exceptions^_^)

anime(mangas, light novels, and other outlets)`s plot is a more detailed one. if we assign cartoon`s plot to a straight line, anime`s would be something more like a zig-zag thingy or a curvy one. characters are more complex and we cannot readily read the mind of a character (though i`m not saying in all cases). there would always be the sense of novelty in anime and most of the story line are not stock ones. even some of them are tagged with psychology genre.

for me to accept anime and cartoons are the same is like me saying barney(the dinosaur)`s show and the pursuit of happiness (the movie- if you havent seen it, i strongly recommend you to do so(y)) have the same potential and are the same

being said, these are all my personal beliefs and i apologize if i have said anything inappropriate for it wasn`t my intention.

i disagree with that notion

for me there is a vast difference between the two.

cartoons have something like stock plots and characters, that is we all know where the story is going and what characters are like and we can anticipate what they`re exactly gonna do in a certain circumstance or situation. the story line is mainstream-ly known and most of the times none of the characters will be developed throughout the story. plus all of their endings are happy ones (i`m not sure maybe there are some exceptions^_^)

anime(mangas, light novels, and other outlets)`s plot is a more detailed one. if we assign cartoon`s plot to a straight line, anime`s would be something more like a zig-zag thingy or a curvy one. characters are more complex and we cannot readily read the mind of a character (though i`m not saying in all cases). there would always be the sense of novelty in anime and most of the story line are not stock ones. even some of them are tagged with psychology genre.

for me to accept anime and cartoons are the same is like me saying barney(the dinosaur)`s show and the pursuit of happiness (the movie- if you havent seen it, i strongly recommend you to do so(y)) have the same potential and are the same

being said, these are all my personal beliefs and i apologize if i have said anything inappropriate for it wasn`t my intention.

I still say cartoon given how Japan itself does. *points to my earlier post here*

That aside, what you said is true as far as story and stuff goes, but they have an advantage over US made shows...they usually start out as a comic. They pull stuff from that as the animated counterpart is just an adaptation of it with other stuff tossed in. I don't feel most cartoons do, making them, in a way more original and creative. Of course there are exceptions, but this is how I feel regarding what was mentioned in your post.

• Like 3

I still say cartoon given how Japan itself does. *points to my earlier post here*

That aside, what you said is true as far as story and stuff goes, but they have an advantage over US made shows...they usually start out as a comic. They pull stuff from that as the animated counterpart is just an adaptation of it with other stuff tossed in. I don't feel most cartoons do, making them, in a way more original and creative. Of course there are exceptions, but this is how I feel regarding what was mentioned in your post.

i`m not sure if i understood correctly. (sorry, english is not my native language^_^)

but when i said "cartoon" i was not referring to comics. if anything i believe comics are on equal ground as mangas

i`m not sure if i understood correctly. (sorry, english is not my native language^_^)

but when i said "cartoon" i was not referring to comics. if anything i believe comics are on equal ground as mangas

Manga is the Japanese word for comic. In Japan, the majority of its anime are adaptations of a manga/comic. They have so much story for that reason. Most US cartoons aren't adapted from anything. The cartoon itself is the source material. This is why I said that, in a way, the cartoons are a bit more original and creative.

Sorry, I hope I was clear. ^^

Edited by Guest

Manga is the Japanese word for comic. In Japan, the majority of its anime are adaptations of a manga/comic. They have so much story for that reason. Most US cartoons aren't adapted from anything. The cartoon itself is the source material. This is why I said that, in a way, the cartoons are a bit more original and creative.

Sorry, I hope I was clear. ^^

sorry^-^, it was loud and clear, thanks