Toastmasters

Optic

Has anyone ever participated in a Toastmasters meeting?

Toastmasters claims to help you improve your public speaking and/or leadership skills by participating in meetings and speeches where other fellow club members can help evaluate your skills. There does appear to be some structure to the training too with relatively inexpensive membership fees to cover the cost of the materials.

They seem to have clubs all over the world, and there are a few that are within my area.

It has piqued my curiosity and is something I would consider checking out. So I'm curious to hear of any experiences if it's any good?

Well at my old high school they are a group that the school endorses and a lot of the pupils that I knew that did the course were already the people who were always on stage talking but I did notice their speeches getting better and one or two who did the course were the shy type and they did become a lot better at public speaking.

• Informative 1

Try asking some of the people that go there if it helped them with their public speaking , the best way to get information is to just talk to people (the best way that doesn't involve the web that is :P).

• 5 months later...

So, I'll be attending my first Toastmasters meeting tomorrow. They meet every second and third Thursday of each month at 7 to 9 PM. Should be interesting - will be observing the first few sessions. :)

Oh dear, I was all hyped up thinking this would be a thread about industrial toasters or something. *sigh* :S

I thought the same thing when I first heard about Toastmasters! :D