Jump to content
Seshi

What do you drive?

Recommended Posts

Right now I’ve got an 08 Nissan Altima coupe, had it since 2012. So I’m looking to trade in, in the near future.

Since I’ve started a family I now need a newer/ larger family friendly vehicle pretty badly.

70D7DFF4-B8A7-407A-BCB1-C8A14C45DAA1.thumb.jpeg.6c691b4f84c6ef36f29e8ec6652df493.jpeg

What do you drive? What’s your dream car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum.  Sometime in the next few years I'll be adding a second vehicle, which will likely be an Edge.

The hybrid is a fun car to drive.  I bought the car while it was still at the factory being assembled, and was lucky enough to be able to drive it off the lot with 0.7 miles on it.

IMG_20180417_163502.thumb.jpg.2d3bb1b911b7049333f7c646457a45ec.jpg

Before this, I drove a 2015 Ford Fusion SE, a 2006 Ford Taurus SEL, and my first car was a 1998 Mercury Sable LS.

Edited by The History Kid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ratings were so good on the Ford Fusion I almost bought one new when I bought that Altima, but decided to just go with a used car instead. It has been the best decision I have ever made. Never had a single issue with it in the past 7 years, and I am so lax on maintenance too. I’m sure it could be even better preforming. I love the get up and go, and the handling is amazing. It will be a sad day to part with such a reliable car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seshi said:

Ratings were so good on the Ford Fusion I almost bought one new when I bought that Altima, but decided to just go with a used car instead. It has been the best decision I have ever made. Never had a single issue with it in the past 7 years, and I am so lax on maintenance too. I’m sure it could be even better preforming. I love the get up and go, and the handling is amazing. It will be a sad day to part with such a reliable car.

The first generation Fusions (2006-2008) were, frankly, terrible cars.  My grandmother owned one, and it was like driving an aluminum box with wheels on it.  They really outdid themselves for the 2013-2019 generation.  The EcoBoost, and Sport ones are nice, the Hybrid's are actually built around the same schematic as the Twin-Turbo's in the Focus RX.  If you take them out of Hybrid mode, they'll bite you in the you-know-where speed wise.  My choice for the next vehicle I get is similar to yours, I expect in the next year or so to adopt, which will change the overall battle rhythm needs of a vehicle for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seshi said:

Since I’ve started a family I now need a newer/ larger family friendly vehicle pretty badly.

You should certainly look into a Nissan Murano then. 

I was involved in an accident about 5 years ago. I was struck in the driver's side at a 2-way, pushed across ice and collided with a parked truck which completely smashed the front of my vehicle. Driver's side window airbag deployed-- I hit my head pretty hard on that side and could have had a much more serious injury. Went to the hospital and walked out with some whiplash, two stitches in my eye, a big bruise up and down my hip/leg, and (I discovered this later) some damage to my lumbar region which still persists to this day. The car was a total mess, but according to the officer who responded, he told me it was the first time he had ever seen a vehicle collapse the way it was supposed to. To me that means if it had been any other car, the damage could have been a lot more substantial and I could have had some broken bones or worse there. Guess what our replacement car ended up being? Another Murano.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

You should certainly look into a Nissan Murano then. 

I was involved in an accident about 5 years ago. I was struck in the driver's side at a 2-way, pushed across ice and collided with a parked truck which completely smashed the front of my vehicle. Driver's side window airbag deployed-- I hit my head pretty hard on that side and could have had a much more serious injury. Went to the hospital and walked out with some whiplash, two stitches in my eye, a big bruise up and down my hip/leg, and (I discovered this later) some damage to my lumbar region which still persists to this day. The car was a total mess, but according to the officer who responded, he told me it was the first time he had ever seen a vehicle collapse the way it was supposed to. To me that means if it had been any other car, the damage could have been a lot more substantial and I could have had some broken bones or worse there. Guess what our replacement car ended up being? Another Murano.

I had a friend who got into a similar accident, she was Tboned too and she came out fine - her murano was totaled though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I had a friend who got into a similar accident, she was Tboned too and she came out fine - her murano was totaled though

Then it did its job. Our Murano is an 08, and we've also got a Focus SE which is a 14. I've been considering trading the Focus for yet another Murano. I'm a fan. lol

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wedgy said:

Then it did its job. Our Murano is an 08, and we've also got a Focus SE which is a 14. I've been considering trading the Focus for yet another Murano. I'm a fan. lol

The Focus and Fiesta were cars I never understood the appeal outside of their affordability.  But even that is questionable.  Fusions weren't exactly expensive.  Both Focus and Fiesta rode horrible, let alone the really really (imo) dumb appearance of the Fiesta.  I get the compact idea, but it's just not a car that made any kind of fiscal sense to me. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

The Focus and Fiesta were cars I never understood the appeal outside of their affordability.  But even that is questionable.  Fusions weren't exactly expensive.  Both Focus and Fiesta rode horrible, let alone the really really (imo) dumb appearance of the Fiesta.  I get the compact idea, but it's just not a car that made any kind of fiscal sense to me. 

Our Focus SE is nice for its price tag. The mileage has also been fair. But it's admittedly more of a summer season car. That is to say, it's not a car I would trust to get home in if the roads aren't plowed. But that's what the Murano is there for. And that's just another reason I would like to just trade it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @The History Kid I'm glad you like your fusion, but as someone who works at a Ford dealership, those cars are junk (the 09-12's were the best). Along with the '12+ focus, fiesta, and most of all, the '13+ escape. They're just poorly built. Ford can say what they want, but that's probably the real reason they're discontinuing their car lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Our Focus SE is nice for its price tag. The mileage has also been fair. But it's admittedly more of a summer season car. That is to say, it's not a car I would trust to get home in if the roads aren't plowed. But that's what the Murano is there for. And that's just another reason I would like to just trade it.

I can see that, based on what I've heard from a couple of my interns who have the Focus.  There's a reason we use Fusions and Taurus in the federal system.  The Fusions will just cut through anything, and that's including the Hybrid - which should have faltered this winter when we hit -34 F.  Gotta say I'm impressed.  My boss's niece owns a Murano as well (08 I think), and seems to love hers.

3 minutes ago, Nono said:

 @The History Kid I'm glad you like your fusion, but as someone who works at a Ford dealership, those cars are junk (the 09-12's were the best). Along with the '12+ focus, fiesta, and most of all, the '13+ escape. They're just poorly built. Ford can say what they want, but that's probably the real reason they're discontinuing their car lineup.

Appreciate the sentiment, but as someone who has family who actually assemble the vehicles, I'll take their word over a dealership.  Across the 4 years I've run a Fusion, I've never once had an issue.

Edited by The History Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

I can see that, based on what I've heard from a couple of my interns who have the Focus.  There's a reason we use Fusions and Taurus in the federal system.  The Fusions will just cut through anything, and that's including the Hybrid - which should have faltered this winter when we hit -34 F.  Gotta say I'm impressed.  My boss's niece owns a Murano as well (08 I think), and seems to love hers.

That's a 3 for Murano, folks. You heard it here. 
Seriously, though. Muranos are just great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nono said:

@The History Kid Good for them, I would hope they take pride in their work. Now if only the engineers would do the same.

At the risk of a pissing contest (which I'll limit myself to this, since I answered the question posed in the OP), you can literally say that about any car.  Every vehicle on the road has something that someone somewhere isn't going to like about it.  People rag on Toyota's, Ford's, Chevy's, Nissan's, and Subaru's.  The truth is for everyone complaint there are usually hundreds to thousands of satisfied customers.  I've never known a Nissan to last more than 80,000 miles, but lo and behold there's thousands of people who prove that's not the norm.  That's the normal ebb and flow of sales, not just cars - but all retail and sales environments.

Edited by The History Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The History Kid said:

At the risk of a pissing contest (which I'll limit myself to this, since I answered the question posed in the OP), you can literally say that about any car.  Every vehicle on the road has something that someone somewhere isn't going to like about it.  People rag on Toyota's, Ford's, Chevy's, Nissan's, and Subaru's.  The truth is for everyone complaint there are usually hundreds to thousands of satisfied customers.  I've never known a Nissan to last more than 80,000 miles, but lo and behold there's thousands of people who prove that's not the norm.  That's the normal ebb and flow of sales, not just cars - but all retail and sales environments.

I agree with most of this, but as a lover of my Nissan Altima, which I bought with 77,000 miles on it, 7 years ago and has never had as much as a hiccup, I’d say that statistic is very far from the truth.

On the other hand, I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, close to 300,000 miles on it which I bought from someone who obviously didn’t take care of it, and that’s a whole nother meaning to the word junker. My hubby has done his best to fix it up, but we still have nearly endless problems with the thing. Most of it is due to age and general wearing (salt air has sped that process along as well)

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two vehicles, but I'll post my money pit. 99 Chevy s10 with 230,000 miles and still going strong. It's mostly stock, well except for the full air ride suspension, wheels, body drop, front end swap, and custom interior.

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, XII360 said:

wow, everyone has nice cars

....

im just using a japanese bike, thats somewhat busted(but still functions), couse i love it, i've had this baby boy since my first year college, and i dont wanna part with it anytime soon, even though its battery was stolen >.>

15588429552922082838658.jpg

That's maximum fuel efficiency there, my friend. Don't forget that.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, XII360 said:

wow, everyone has nice cars

....

im just using a japanese bike, thats somewhat busted(but still functions), couse i love it, i've had this baby boy since my first year college, and i dont wanna part with it anytime soon, even though its battery was stolen >.>

15588429552922082838658.jpg

I wish bikes were more practical to use where I live. :( I can only use mine in the summer, every other season there is too much snow and it's simply not an option-- you either walk or you drive then. But I can't even ride my bike this year. Maybe next year. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seshi said:

I agree with most of this, but as a lover of my Nissan Altima, which I bought with 77,000 miles on it, 7 years ago and has never had as much as a hiccup, I’d say that statistic is very far from the truth.

On the other hand, I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, close to 300,000 miles on it which I bought from someone who obviously didn’t take care of it, and that’s a whole nother meaning to the word junker. My hubby has done his best to fix it up, but we still have nearly endless problems with the thing. Most of it is due to age and general wearing (salt air has sped that process along as well)

I'm positive it is far from the truth.  That was my point.  It doesn't change that what I've seen of Nissan's has generally been poor (especially my experience in driving them - the ones I drove felt cheaply made, and lacked much in the way of features for what I perceived in their price point).  What people have told me, has generally been good.  It's just one of those things.  I've talked to people at dealerships on the Toyota Camry's who just balk about it, but then will turn around and try and push a Prius all day - when the Camry handles, rides, and performs better than the Prius.  No one is immune from sales bias.  It doesn't make the opinion wrong, but it's a fine example of a blanket statement.  By and large, blanket statements are rarely true in sales.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a brand new 2018 Toyota Prius Prime hybrid since October when one of our Santa Ana winds dropped a tree on my old car.  (Also a Prius.)  Only had it for a few months but so far it's been great.  The electric bits give it a bit of pep off the line, and 140MPG around town if I remember to plug it in.  On a recent trip to Las Vegas from Los Angeles it got 69 and used less than a tank for the whole trip.  Nice cruise control behavior too.

IMG_3854.thumb.JPG.e45abb5d0df9b6773a652825d2f76247.JPG

 

IMG_3852.thumb.JPG.81c8ab019527f111c9b8b859e81717aa.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nono said:

@XII360 How does that bike not fold in half? Seems like it's missing a support bar or something. Looks pretty badass though. I kinda want one, lol.@XII360

the only thing its missing is a battery, (also a new seat cover)

its a japanese E-bike afterall, its been folded a thousand times

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

That's maximum fuel efficiency there, my friend. Don't forget that.

not to mention, i get my daily exercise, and wont have to pay any public transport to reach somewhere ^_^ 

...in exchange for arriving at my destination, full of sweat that is >.>

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XII360 said:

not to mention, i get my daily exercise, and wont have to pay any public transport to reach somewhere ^_^ 

...in exchange for arriving at my destination, full of sweat that is >.>

Even so, I'd do the bike thing if I were younger and/or the bike had a battery to help with the hills around here.  Even when I was younger the geography was tough.  These days I'd probably have a heart attack.  :D  I don't like the all-electric bikes though.  Where's the fun in that?  If I were going to let the bike do all the work I'd get a regular motorcycle or a moped.  (Or just stick to a car.)  If I were to go for a bike it'd have to be one of those kind where you have to pedal and the battery/motor gives you a boost proportional to your effort.  Around here the licensing is easier for that sort of thing anyway.

The other thing besides heart attacks and sweat is the traffic.  For some reason some car drivers are downright homicidal when it comes to bikes of any kind, not to mention all those people that pay more attention to their cellphone than to their driving.  And bikes are always the loser in any sort of altercation with a car or truck just because of physics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit
×
×
  • Create New...