Scariest Game You Ever Played

Ciara

Resident Evil- I was like 7 when the game came out and I shouldn't of been playing lol. The first zombie encounter I just wasted all my bullets on it, also when the first time you see zombie dogs and they break through the window I dropped the controller and hid.

999 is not scary. Only scary because of the bad endings where you get jumped.

I disagree. I see that 999 has managed to instill fear in the players at an early stage of the game all the way from the kidnapping of the player at the start with a sleeping gas (lol) to being put into a sinking ship which will fully submerge within 9 hours leaving you to drown to death, and to where it was announced bombs were inserted into the stomach of everyone and the bomb will explode if anyone makes a wrong move through the doors and fails to deactivate the timer behind the doors after entering it.

However, serious fear actually starts the moment Nine was dead and that everyone realised that the bomb is a serious and not just a mere threat.

The endings are just lunatic, not really scary. I find the Clover axe ending rather lame. :3

I am awful at scary games, so far I say Resident Evil: 4! I can't play it (while I play lots of shooters), each time a person/zombie is approaching I stress and freak out so I press start to pause it...thinking about what to do and try it haha. I keep asking my boyfriend who has played it before if there are any zombies near me or around the cornor.

Doom. :D When I was really young.

F.E.A.R. would be the last one that truly got under my skin. Those that have played it will know what I mean, similar to Japanese horror films. Too bad the sequels weren't as scary and became more action oriented.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Slenderman only got scary for me when I played it in the front row of class and a friend of mine (male) freaked in in my ear when he saw Slenderman.

that was the first encounter though, the second one went a little more like

"Hey is that what i think it is?"

"nah I dunno"

"it looks like a tree"

/moves forward

/weird skinny man with no face comes into view

"THAT'S HIM RUN"

• 4 years later...
outlast, when it first came out i was jumpscared to happyness

Outlast definitely did a good job of nailing in the atmosphere.

F.E.A.R. would be the last one that truly got under my skin. Those that have played it will know what I mean, similar to Japanese horror films. Too bad the sequels weren't as scary and became more action oriented.

I'm replying to this ancient post because I am forced to agree, wholeheartedly. F.E.A.R. is a bloody masterpiece and remains one of my favorite first person shooters to this day. The single player campaign was tense, well paced, the enemy AI was downright bloody immaculate, and the over-the-top particle effects, along with the wide array of melee attack options made it feel like you were the star of an action movie. It was spectacular.

The multiplayer was similarly delightful, while it lasted. I swear, that game had some of the best gun play that I've seen.

• Agree 1

P.T.

I nearly died from that. Yes, I'm weak to jump scares.

Same. Between the two games mentioned in the opening post, Fatal Frame scared me a lot more than Silent Hill (or rather, SH2, since I never played the first one). SH2 was more "disturbing" than "scary". That said, Fatal Frame's "scary" was more like provoking my nerves, my impulse, and my anxieties than actual psychological scares like Silent Hill, so there's that. I hate jump scares because of that. They're so cheap and devoid of value.

That being said, Fatal Frame's gameplay was interesting enough that I would love to finish it someday.

Other than that, there was this other annoying game called "The Park". It's supposed to be a spin-off of this MMO called "The Secret World". One particular part of the game I liked was the swan ride, where a creepy version of Hansel and Gretel was told. I always love it when people tell the grimmer versions of the original fairy tales rather than give it a "Disney" spin, so that won me over easily. The atmosphere build-up during that ride was awesome too. No jump scares or anything. I don't think there was actually a lot of jump scares in there, now that I think about it, and more like the expectation that there was supposed to be jump scares because god, the atmosphere of that game was creepy. A lot of scenes were silent, and you don't know what will come out around the corner. If you want to wet your pants, play this game in the dark. I dare you. :P

Edited by Guest

Truth or Dare there are things that lots of people want to know... and things I don't want anyone to know....

• Winner 1

I try to avoid playing scary games because I have an overactive imagination and things tend to stick with me for a looong time. With that said, I like watching it when @zoop plays scary stuff, and...

OMG, watching zoop play F.E.A.R. prematurely aged me by like 5 or 10 years. I was really not expecting that based on the genre of the game.

• Like 2

OMG, watching zoop play F.E.A.R. prematurely aged me by like 5 or 10 years. I was really not expecting that based on the genre of the game.

I need to finish that play through for you.

I wouldn't mind trying out some scary games though

It's a sad thing that most horror games just aren't very good. :/

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

I need to finish that play through for you.

It's a sad thing that most horror games just aren't very good. :/

That's not surprising!

Do you recommend any? I feel like maybe you'd be more in tune with what's scary to me :P

• Like 2

I remember that I pre ordered Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and I was really scared in that time, so much that I never came back to the game to this day, I only have 2 hours, gotta give it a chance again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

as much as i love horror i really dont play that many horror games, because when im confronted with something, im always like, "noooopee" so i can never finish a game. but a while ago, i came across this app called S.I.M. which stands for Sara Is Missing, and basically the game is that youve found this girl's phone, and after going through it try and find a way to return it, you realize this chick might be in some serious trouble so you have to make choices, and text her contacts to find out whats going on. pretty scary, and realistic. only wish it was longer, but 10/10

Edited by Guest

I think I would count Corpse Party as part of this. Aside from its gore-factor, it can be really good at building a tense and bone-chilling atmosphere, especially Book of Shadows (haven't played Blood Drive, but I'd assume it might be even scarier). I dare you to play it in the dark. :P