Illusion of Terra

What's annoying you?

What is annoying me is not being allowed to park in the “west lot” parking lot at work.  This lot is about a block from my office, which is on the west side of the campus.  Instead I’m now being required to park in the “east lot”, which is 2km away on the other side of the lab.

I timed it this morning and it now takes me longer to walk from the parking lot to my office than to drive from my house to the parking lot.  (I only live about 8 miles away as the crow flies.)

On 2/23/2020 at 5:23 AM, RZ. said:

Age indicates very little, that's for certain. Members of my family have been giving me advice since I was little thinking it would be beneficial. Sometimes it was, often it wasn't, but advice is cool, because you're not obligated to take it. Some people in my family have a tendency to intervene in my proboems on their own however, purely out of love, but usually making things much worse because they don't fully understand the issue. 

Explaining my existential crisis and subsequent depression to my mother for example, proved to be a bad idea the second she started listing potential solutions, all of which showed that she'd completely missed the point. I had to tell her bluntly that that's what she'd done and that she should leave it to me. Thankfully she did 😅

This is true. 😀 It keeps a lot of peace to nod your head and agree on advice when it's offered, then just never take it when it's of little aid to you personally. I can see how it would be more difficult when you're in a situation you can't easily avoid. Really glad that you understand your family's perspective of it being out of love for you. Sometimes people take it for granted. Also happy to hear the resolve with your mother. Not only were you able to open up and discuss what you were dealing with but she trusted you in the end. Even though it started out a certain way, now she knows you were dealing with something unpleasant. I sort of learned the hard way with something similar. I kept certain things from my mother. Then she got ill and was recently diagnosed with M.S. and I've been taking care of her. There's no point in additional worries on her plate. It's a good thing I have a sis to bugger but it would be better not to have to hide my anxieties from my mother. Now that she's living with me. Ah- I'm gonna ramble on! 😱 Ultimately, I just don't really appreciate people with more experience in a particular thing, belittling others that are pretty fresh to it. 

Always wishing you the best with your family. 😁

On 2/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, Illusion of Terra said:

Quite a difficult topic (both psychologically and ethically), especially if people are very close to each other.

If you care for someone and you see what you interpret to be suffering or making a mistake, it can be quite difficult to not give what you think is apt advice or intervene. Parents are a prime example of course. On the other hand, if the one receiving the advice interprets that things are getting worse rather than improving and attribute it to the bad advice or the person who gave it, it can feel like trusting that person was a mistake. Quite difficult. Personally it seems to me that it might be helpful for both to step back from the whole situation together and try and see what happened from a more neutral perspective. If both share a common goal and want to work together, I think a lot can be solved.

What I think is a bit simpler though is that I would not say that just because someone is older, their take on something is worth more than someone who is younger. I would say that if you yourself are less experienced in the matter than someone else, it might not be a bad idea to give what the other has to say some serious thought. That being said, it does not mean that you are wrong even if what you say diverges from what the more experienced person said. But people who are way more experienced often do seem to be relatively closed to new ideas. That is something I constantly experience in my work when what I say goes against someone who has been working on the topic for 30 years.

We should open a psychoanalysis thread or something 😂 

I like this because it rings true on so much and extends across various situations. 😀

I actually love working under experience. A couple of years ago, I was working as an apprentice under a craftsman in instrument repair. I worked with a team of four in Brass and they were an excellent bunch! Had a lot of respect for them doing things traditionally. It was almost like blacksmithing. Now that I think about it, these guys had a lot of passion for their work. They were eager to share their knowledge and I found each of their unorthodox methods helpful in developing an idea for my own. It was an environment that certainly welcomed new ideas if they ended up helping an individual get work done professionally. It was a good experience. I gather craftsmen are used to the idea that their trade is one developed through experience. They might tolerate newcomers for the extra work but they generally understand that artisans are made by leading an example. Sad that they ended up moving shop from my area but I hear they're flourishing more than ever! 😁

"We should open a psychoanalysis thread or something" 

I don't have the talent for this and I would lose all credibility of not being a complete dolt. 😆

Edited by IIVIsouljam
  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1

Needing to get a haircut because  it’s starting to curl/stand up along the sides & back of my head but still a barren wasteland up top.

• Silly 1