Long running series or short series?

Yuuki_Radosian

Do you prefer long or short running series?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer long or short running series?

• Long running series (greater than 50 episodes)
    • Short series (less than 26 episodes)
    • I like both!

Do you watch any long running series, or do you prefer to watch shorter series or do you like both ?

(by long series I mean anything over 50 episodes and by short series I mean anything with 26 or less episodes)

If you do prefer one too the other why do you like long/short anime series and what puts you off of the other?

I enjoy both long running series and the shorter series I find both equally entertaining.

However I do feel that because long running series are long they tend to drag things out sometimes and short series sometimes skip some things or leave things unfinished by the end of the series.

Short.

More often then not, longer series will have pointless filler arcs or entire episodes where the story does not progress and characters won't even develop. If done correctly, I can get just as well (if not better) characters out of a 25-50 episode anime. Of course their are some series I find fairly long, yet balance development very well... but not many.

• Agree 1

Short.

More often then not, longer series will have pointless filler arcs or entire episodes where the story does not progress and characters won't even develop. If done correctly, I can get just as well (if not better) characters out of a 25-50 episode anime.

Pretty much this.

Though for the record, FMA:B, a 50-episode anime, was filled with loads of annoying shounen cliches as well (like deus ex machina that came out of nowhere). Probably more of a result of bad writing than its series length, but I thought I should mention it for reference.

I don't really have many favorite series that are more than 50 episodes long. I don't even find Detective Conan to be all that great, as they always dragged out the story with irrelevant fillers that became painfully inferior in the recent years (the old fillers weren't as bad).

Gintama is probably the winning exception, but only because it mocks the shounen genre as a whole, so its fillers are intentional and, very often, hilarious.

Both is actually fine with me but I voted Short series. It's because Long series tends to go out of topic sometimes during the long run of the anime. Another thing is that it gets a little confusing sometimes especially on animes that runs about 100+ of episodes. I watched long series of animes but I really can't stand some of them. A lot changes in a long series of animes.

Depends on whether or not it can hold my interest. For example, I grew bored of Inuyasha about 100 eps in. I'm a Detective Conan fan, and yet, I grew bored about 600 eps in, but I still keep up with the movies and the manga.

This goes for pretty much everything though. Short or long, as long as it keeps my attention, I should be fine.

• 9 months later...

I tend to prefer shorter 26 episode max series mainly, especially more 12 to 13 episode ones most of all, but I have watched the occasional 50 episode+ series, such as Shugo Chara! (which is 127 episodes) and Fairy Tail, but I very rarely choose to do so out of choice nowadays :D

Edited by Guest

The likes of Detective Conan (which are still ongoing with currently over 800 episodes so far to date) is just far too ridiculously high an amount of episodes in an anime to feel comfortable watching, ever!!! And I thought the likes of One Piece and Naruto were bad!!! :P
If the manga is still being written, then the anime will continue...usually.

That aside, shows like Sazae-san has all of those shows beat with over 7000 episodes.

Edited by Guest

I like both short and longer series as long as I like the anime. My only pet peeve is when some longer series veer off from the plot and put out filler episodes. That can make me lose interest in the series and put in on the back burner.

Anime series with far too many obvious filler episodes can get mighty ridiculous after a while the longer and more lengthier a series becomes over time, such as the likes of Naruto :P

Naruto, Bleach, Fairy tail etc are some of the worst for that. I really liked Naruto and I like Fairy tail but because of the fillers I'm not up to date on either. I just stick to the manga on series like that now. :P

• Like 1

I'm the same way as you with Fairy Tail, I got up to about the first 39 odd episodes before deciding to give it up for a while as I had a gut feeling that it was gonna be going on forever, and lo and behold, it still is to this very day, lol! :P That's not to say that I wasn't enjoying watching it though, cos I really was, very much so, I just got a bit impatient and wanted to watch other much shorter and already fully completed series instead, lol! :P

I will definitely consider going back to it at some point in the near future very soon again for sure :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I prefer shorter series to longer ones...and not just because of the length, either, though it certainly plays a part. I personally hate story arcs that drag on forever, but that's a different discussion altogether.

Look at it this way; if a show goes on long enough, it's gonna drop in quality sooner or later. Once that happens, the most you can hope for is that it picks itself back up...which rarely happens. More likely, it'll keep going on for an eternity while going further down in quality until the show is finally put out of its misery.

Shorter series, on the other hand, don't have to worry about this sort of thing. It's always a good thing when it finally ends its story.

This doesn't just apply to anime and manga, either.

It depends, really.

Sometimes, if the characters are interesting and well developed, and if I like the general feel of the show (case in point being Anohana) I would like the series to be a lot longer than say 12 or so episodes.

• 1 month later...

I think 26 episodes is the perfect length. I also have no problem with 13 episodes, but sometimes characters are left underdeveloped and loose ends aren't tied up. Plus, there's always that nagging feeling when you're left wanting more. 50+ episodes are nice to marathon once in a while, the trouble is finding the time for it.

• Geano locked this topic