Dororo (2019)

Mazino

995401.jpg

I have added 2019 in the thread title because Dororo is a remake of the 1969 release. 

From my point of view one of the best anime this season brought out and luckily it's a 24 episode which gives the anime a lot of room to develop. Dororo takes place in the Edo period or that is what I think since samurai have a huge standing in the society and ronin are considered ruthless bandits. Dororo is the name of the MC (more of a supportive role) who is tagging along with the travels of Hyakkimaru (actual MC) who lost all of his body parts and now seeks to get them back. Through slaying demons he regains one of his body parts. I could surely keep on with more details about the series but I don't wanna take away the joy & excitement of watching and finding out yourself. Visuals are quite well made for a remake and character development is surprisingly better than I had anticipated when I first watched Dororo.

Here is a comparison of the 1969 vs 2019 Dororo, if you are interested.

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I actually like the darker tone, one of the reasons I prefer it to Kimetsu no Yaiba. The writing can seem a bit awkward at times, but I appreciate the way it frames questions of right and wrong as not so straight forward.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest episode was just heart wrenching. I’m both looking forward to & dreading next week because I don’t see this confrontation ending without tragedy.

• Agree 1

Dororo is slowly coming to an end and this episode was a great opening for the last 2 remaining.

I can't help but dislike the younger brother. I understand his position as the lords son but how blind one must be to try to kill his own brother. It's obviously impossible for him to win a fight against Hyakkimaru. He foolishly made the mistake to attack him head-on and lost his eye in consequence. Considering they even ganged up on him later on and still lost. 

All of the people who advised Hyakkimaru to live his life peacefully without getting his body back (taking revenge), for example his foster father lack any empathy for him.

As far as I can recall, Tohomaru was against conspiring with the demons and now he contradicts himself. By the way the demon horse reminds me somehow to Rapidash from Pokemon.

Edited by Muco

While Hyakumaru’s brother is outwardly motivated by his duty as the future Lord, it’s obvious his hostility & resentment is much more personal . Back in one of the very early episodes before he’s aware of Dororo’s existence he expresses his frustration that his mother always seems distant and unimpressed by his accomplishments and vows to lift her spirits. Of course he later figures out that it was the result of her unresolved feelings of grief and guilt over the “loss” of her firstborn.  As a result I think he blames Hyakumaru for usurping some of the love he feels should’ve been his. Hyakimaru was physically separated from her, his brother was emotionally separated from her. I shudder to think how he will react if he finds out she helped Dororo escape and abandoned the castle. The separation of mother and child seems to be a recurring theme, not just in the brothers but also in Dororo’s own comments, in the swordsman in the episode about the Nue & in the mare that becomes Hyskimaru’s hellsteed. Hyakimaru even refers to his surrogate parent as “mama” despite being male

On a somewhat lighter note, all this time I never realized the one retainer was a girl. I just thought she was a bishie.

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 2 weeks later...

While not everything about the finale was to my liking, it was still satisfying.

even though it’s not really in keeping with the series tone, I prefer to think Hiyakimaru’s  2 “Mamas”  & Tahomaru escaped and are secretly living a peaceful life together somewhere away from Daigo’s ambitions and wars. Of course, depending on whether you believe in an afterlife, it could still be technically true 

Up to this point my pick for AOTY

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Optimistic 1

Ending was decent, story-wise it was okayish and visual-wise it was to my liking, all things considered 9/10 from me.

I don't know what to say about the last scene, does Dororo and Hyakkimaru meet again? What is his father going to do now after his wive and only heir disappears all of a sudden? There was the mention about the beginning of the warring state era, will they continue the story with now Hyakkimaru taking a major role? (didn't read the manga so it could just be the end) Dororo seems to found a solution in how he will use the money he inherited from his father. I like the fact that his father thought for a moment, how it might have been if he didn't feed Hyakkimaru to the Demons. Needless to say, his father was kind of a demon too, in my eyes at least, so telling him to "live on as a human" and "don't you become a demon either" was quite fitting.

I hope they bring out an OVA or something, the ending was decent but had a cliffhanger.