Windows 10

Optic

If you're curious about Windows 10, why not download the Insider Preview and install it on a VM:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/preview-iso

New upcoming features of Windows 10, Cortana (the text to speech digital assistant) and return of the Start Menu (or rather less emphasis on the Start screen.

It does look promising. Anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts?

windows-10-insider-preview.png.60b35eca415c79d09ca949c4acc5eb57.png

I actually have been running Win10 on my laptop for several months now. I like the new start menu, but don't really care for the Cortana integration, as it is far more useful on a phone. Also, they finally made apps windowed. But what I'm really looking forward to is the new Spartan browser. Overall, they made quite a few good choices, but I highly doubt it will be enough to switch my desktop over from Linux.

I like Windows 7 and that is what I shall keep for as long as possible. I hate Windows 8 with the passion and I don't like what I've seen for Windows 10 so far.

• 2 months later...

Windows 10 is now out, and apparently it is being pushed out to devices globally that were eligible for the upgrade.

You can manually download the installer here if you can't wait for the automatic push:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I manually updated my Surface Pro 3 and so far I quite like it. The new Notifications bar, Cortana and Start menu have been interesting to play with.

I also really like the new default "Hero" Windows 10 wallpaper:

img0_3840x2160.thumb.jpg.34030478e911c1139a04b0054e18ffdd.jpg

• 5 months later...

i got window 10 on both my laptop and desk top big mistake was having problems with in a month of changing had to role back the laptop to windows 8.1 and my desk top to windows 7.

luckly i could roll back but if it was a day later i wouldnt be able to roll back

• 1 year later...

with global warming the ice melted to re reveal this one sooooo to bring it back in to the light ill re ask peoples thoughts on windows 10 and where every on currently are with their os software choice

as im still running win 8.1 pro 64bit with media centre , as its the media centre that's been keeping me here as its my htpc with a free to air tv tuner card

with global warming the ice melted to re reveal this one sooooo to bring it back in to the light ill re ask peoples thoughts on windows 10 and where every on currently are with their os software choice

as im still running win 8.1 pro 64bit with media centre , as its the media centre that's been keeping me here as its my htpc with a free to air tv tuner card

I've been happier with Windows 10 than any other Windows release to date. I always end up going through and tweaking a lot of things here and there to make my PC 'feel right', but with Windows 10 I haven't quite had as much need to do that as I have in the past.

This is actually the first Windows version, for example, that has ever managed to make me actually use the start menu. While I've previously used a combination of categorized desktop shortcuts and the like, nearly everything I commonly make use of can be found here:

ef17a9046aa54e3f975d396d348edb16.png.27520c8c8777ff3252ae59183183f835.png

... and yes, I do enjoy arranging my tiles around entirely too much.

But yes, I'm a big fan. The OS hasn't yet let me down.

I have a lot of issues with Windows as an operating system but win10 is very good. The way it looks espsecially. I'm not a fan of the files but the way the UI looks, how it uses the colour choices, and the transition effects are all really nice. The start menu was definitely a huge step forward from the 8/8.1 one as well. Like zoop, it's probably my favourite windows version so far. Hopefully they keep that up and whatever comes next is even better.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

well decided to re check win 10 out so in the process of up grading my laptop see how it goes and if I can find a program I like to run the TV card in my htpc ill look at upgrading that one as well , if I like how it is on the laptop that is

yeah i only had 1 issue with windows 10 and that was when it was launched and my PC had new hardware and i guess there was comparability issues with the drivers etc... as it would boot up, then after a few days it would get stuck in a boot loop where it starts up and then suddenly get an errors so i had to reset it a few times, but after a few updates i guess this was addressed as i have not had any issues since the release

• Like 1

yeah i only had 1 issue with windows 10 and that was when it was launched and my PC had new hardware and i guess there was comparability issues with the drivers etc...

I had an issue with the early nvidia drivers that caused something similar to that right at first. Was definitely a major bother, but I was thankfully able to beat it into submission without too much inconvenience.

I had an issue with the early nvidia drivers that caused something similar to that right at first. Was definitely a major bother, but I was thankfully able to beat it into submission without too much inconvenience.

yeah i only had the issue twice in 4 days, only way i could fix it was to reset it as everything was update

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I actually really like Windows 10! And it wasn't a bad transition for me anyway because I was getting a new laptop, which came with windows 10 regardless. Before that I was using Windows 7 on my old laptop.

well I found a way to run windows media centre on win10 so I'm now running it on th main pc (the htpc one)

as much as I like the improved lay out look , all to me on what I use seems to run similar , except gettin use to the little changes in the browser edge from ie11 and not liking the no spell check when edge tells you its spellings wrong but won't show you suggested others

well I found a way to run windows media centre on win10 so I'm now running it on th main pc (the htpc one)

as much as I like the improved lay out look , all to me on what I use seems to run similar , except gettin use to the little changes in the browser edge from ie11 and not liking the no spell check when edge tells you its spellings wrong but won't show you suggested others

LMAO, a spell check that doesn't even tell you the right spelling? That's so hilarious and useless lol

I don't use the Edge browser, I tried it a little bit. But I still prefer Chrome, suits my needs/tastes.

• Like 1

I'm one that doesn't like being tracked and am annoyed at how much Ms track you and from what I've seen from when I used chrome they are heavier on the tracking , that's one of the reasons I dumped their browser some time back

I'm one that doesn't like being tracked and am annoyed at how much Ms track you and from what I've seen from when I used chrome they are heavier on the tracking , that's one of the reasons I dumped their browser some time back

Maybe give Vivaldi a try? It uses Chrome's rendering engine, so it gets similar performance as compared to Chrome, without all of Google's Googleisms. It's also absurdly customizable, etc. On the topic of it's privacy,

"Jon [developer] said the only data Vivaldi collects is usage data - ie:

What version do you have installed

What platform are you on

And that's not personally identifiable. It just provides baseline data as to user numbers.

That's it. A couple of their search partners, in order to allow Vivaldi to contract with them, REQUIRE the Speed Dial and default search links to go through their advertising partner gateways on the way to the actual search or company page. This is easily disabled by removing the shortcuts that come pre-installed and installing your own shortcut direct to the destination. Bing and Yahoo, for instance, make Vivaldi use proprietary links. OK. Remove those links and install your own. That's it. The browser itself is not spying on you, and you can eliminate data-harvesting (via persistent cookies on your system) gateways and use your own."

Much better alternative than Edge imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Windows 10 is fairly nice here, aside from a few annoyances, like not being able to easily install Apache, MariaDB, and PHP (yes, I know about the packages out there with those stuff built in, but from a Linux/BSD/Mac background, I like using the CLI to deal with those things).

It would have been better though if OpenSSH were available at launch, instead of having to download and install it myself, since Microsoft did promise OpenSSH support.

• 1 month later...
well ill just say I'm still finding it hard for me to like it (not that I hate it) and still some times fell like winding it back again to win 7

Anything in particular that's bothering you? I've found it fairly easy to tweak to fit my needs.

• Like 1

Anything in particular that's bothering you? I've found it fairly easy to tweak to fit my needs.

meh

im still coming to terms updating lost me windows media centre for the free to air digital tv and recording

and to be honest im just not seeing improvements my end warenting me doing the actual upgrade (nothing sticking out as an improvement so far to me)

but what is starting to urk me is the amount is seems to need to talk to mummy microsoft thru svchost and sometime sucking up so much internet im unable to do much else unless i shut the converstion down (eg stream surf bla bla bla) at least im on unlimited but usually not great speeds

also the seeming frequent over nite restarts i seems to be doing of late unexpectedly and usually wilst ive organised a download whilst asleep but then have to redo or if it tells me of restart and i try to delay it untill further notice or untill XXXX i then get constint pop up reminders that i need to perform a restart , last time multipul times whilst trying to stream watch a half hour anime droping it each time even tho id told the restart popup id let it perform restart latter that nite

and that update led to mummy microsoft daycare introducing a new popup constantly informing my i need to give microsoft more freedom to my info to protect me (which i wont) and wasnt a simple situation to remove (kinda like the constint popup to remind we NEEDED to up date to win 10)

just little pev's , and as i said im not disliking it just little things that can taint the like of something

but majorly missing my tv part of my htpc and havent found a replacement for wmc that a old dumb arse like me can negotiate setting up and operating , even if its just a tv guide and pvr recording so i could watch thru plex but would be great if i could watch live too

Edited by Guest