Please Please help me find this anime with evil Cyclopes

jacob1981

Hi everyone,

Please help me track down an anime I saw as kid. Certainly I don't remember the title, but I remember some of the plot and what the characters looked like. It was a sci-fi. I remember it was about a princess (I presume she was) being abducted and our heroes travel on a space ship to rescue her. The main male protagonist was thin, wore blue jeans, green T-shirt, carried a knife, among the rest of the rescuers there were 2 other guys, one wearing glasses, grey trousers, white T-shirt, was extremely fearful. Also there was a fat guy who most likely wore a green T-shirt, very fearful too. Also they had a robot teammate accompanying them.

There was a scene where our rescuers reach something resembling a shaft, with blue walls. A descent into the cave. They start climb it down. As they look down, it’s descending into darkness, while when they look up, there’s a bright light above. Then they end up inside an underground cave.

The only villain I remember was the Cyclops in the cave, this one scared me a lot as a kid. I remember there's a part where the princess is shown chained in the cave and the Cyclops was sleeping beside her/guarding. As the heroes are walking the cave, Pink Floyd's "Time" is playing (I remember that part was very scary back then).

That's all I manage to remember, the easiest way to identify this would be the cyclops and Pink Floyd's "Time". It was a wonderful anime from what I remember.

Somebody please help me find this. I absolutely loved it as a kid.

Thanks in advance so much.

4 hours ago, jacob1981 said:

Hi everyone,

Please help me track down an anime I saw as kid. Certainly I don't remember the title, but I remember some of the plot and what the characters looked like. It was a sci-fi. I remember it was about a princess (I presume she was) being abducted and our heroes travel on a space ship to rescue her. The main male protagonist was thin, wore blue jeans, green T-shirt, carried a knife, among the rest of the rescuers there were 2 other guys, one wearing glasses, grey trousers, white T-shirt, was extremely fearful. Also there was a fat guy who most likely wore a green T-shirt, very fearful too. Also they had a robot teammate accompanying them.

There was a scene where our rescuers reach something resembling a shaft, with blue walls. A descent into the cave. They start climb it down. As they look down, it’s descending into darkness, while when they look up, there’s a bright light above. Then they end up inside an underground cave.

The only villain I remember was the Cyclops in the cave, this one scared me a lot as a kid. I remember there's a part where the princess is shown chained in the cave and the Cyclops was sleeping beside her/guarding. As the heroes are walking the cave, Pink Floyd's "Time" is playing (I remember that part was very scary back then).

That's all I manage to remember, the easiest way to identify this would be the cyclops and Pink Floyd's "Time". It was a wonderful anime from what I remember.

Somebody please help me find this. I absolutely loved it as a kid.

Thanks in advance so much.

I feel like you may have misremembered some things (but 30 years is a long time to blur memories).  I'm almost certain you are talking about Ulysses 31.  Was the princess blue-skinned?  I'd have to run upstairs and take a hard look at my collection to think of any other.  The Pink Floyd thing is throwing me...but then I don't listen to Pink Floyd so I probably wouldn't have recognized the song if it were in an anime.

[mal type=anime id=2331]

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I feel like you may have misremembered some things (but 30 years is a long time to blur memories).  I'm almost certain you are talking about Ulysses 31.  Was the princess blue-skinned?  I'd have to run upstairs and take a hard look at my collection to think of any other.  The Pink Floyd thing is throwing me...but then I don't listen to Pink Floyd so I probably wouldn't have recognized the song if it were in an anime.

Cover

Uchuu Densetsu Ulysses 31 (Fall 1981)

1. G
  2. 26 episodes
  3. 25 minutes
  4. TV

Details

1. Rating
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    7.1/1K
  2. Source
    Original
  3. First Episode
    Oct 3, 1981
  4. Last Episode
    Nov 30, 1982
  5. Status
    Finished Airing
  6. Studio
      • TMS Entertainment
  7. Genres

Cast

1. Ulysses
  2. Themis
  3. Telemachus

Crew

• Script
    • Theme Song Lyrics
    • myanimelist_values_positions_mechanicaldesign

It is the thirty-first century. Ulysses killed the giant Cyclops when he rescued the children and his son, Telemachus.
But the ancient gods of Olympus are angry and threaten a terrible revenge: Ulysses is sentenced to travel through the universe of Olympus with a frozen crew on a quest to find the Kingdom of Hades. Only when he has found the Kingdom of Hades will his crew be free of their curse and he will be able to return to Earth and to his beloved Penelope. written by myanimelist.net
  1. 3107
  2. #6299 popularity
  3. 3K members
  4. 22 favorites
Updated 50 minutes ago
  • All Names
  • English Ulysses 31
  • Original 宇宙伝説ユリシーズ31

Hi :) Thank you so much for getting back.

The princess was not blue-skinned, she was white, blonde. I checked Ulysses 31, it's definitely not that :) 

1 hour ago, Beocat said:

Cover

Uchuu Densetsu Ulysses 31 (Fall 1981)

1. G
  2. 26 episodes
  3. 25 minutes
  4. TV

Details

1. Rating
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    7.1/1K
  2. Source
    Original
  3. First Episode
    Oct 3, 1981
  4. Last Episode
    Nov 30, 1982
  5. Status
    Finished Airing
  6. Studio
      • TMS Entertainment
  7. Genres

Cast

1. Ulysses
  2. Themis
  3. Telemachus

Crew

• Script
    • Theme Song Lyrics
    • myanimelist_values_positions_mechanicaldesign

It is the thirty-first century. Ulysses killed the giant Cyclops when he rescued the children and his son, Telemachus.
But the ancient gods of Olympus are angry and threaten a terrible revenge: Ulysses is sentenced to travel through the universe of Olympus with a frozen crew on a quest to find the Kingdom of Hades. Only when he has found the Kingdom of Hades will his crew be free of their curse and he will be able to return to Earth and to his beloved Penelope. written by myanimelist.net
Read more  
  1. 3107
  2. #6299 popularity
  3. 3K members
  4. 22 favorites
Updated 1 hour ago
  • All Names
  • English Ulysses 31
  • Original 宇宙伝説ユリシーズ31

Also the Cyclops was purple from what I remember if that's any help. Thank you very much again :) 

12 minutes ago, Beocat said:

@jacob1981 are you sure it was an Anime and not a Cartoon? What year (or range of years) do you think you saw it, and from where? (USA, Europe..?)

Frankly speaking it was more like Anime, I don't remember the main titles of it, but the visual style was very much like Anime. I even remember when my parents brought me the VHS tape when I was a kid, they were referring to it as 'Japanese cartoon' but unfortunately during the years there was no way they could remember the title or anything else, and the tape is long gone. 

There was also another song playing when the heroes are flying their space ship to rescue the girl, I somehow got the impression it was in Japanese. But I can't be certain of it.  

I saw it in 1986-1987, so I think it should be either 70's or  80's.

One thing I can say for sure, it was very well done and should've been very popular back then in that industry. 

Edited by jacob1981

40 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Space Three Musketeers? 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1725007/

Thank you soooo much! This is the one I was looking for :) 

15 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Seems to fit your description, you had a lot of details. You must have a pretty good memory to recall that much right down to their clothing.

Yes, this is the one I was looking for, thanks a bunch. I've been looking for it for years :)  

Some parts of it I could just never forget. I checked it on YouTube. I got the Pink Floyd "Time" right, it is really playing as they are walking the dungeon :) 

Can't believe I finally found it. Thank you again very much :)  I'm crossing fingers now hopefully to find this in HD or Blu Ray somewhere. This one is really good :)

6 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Update us if you find it, sounds like @Beocat wants to see it now.

I definitely will. I was able to find it on YouTube for now with Greek dubbing, I will keep looking. If I find a DVD or Blu Ray, I will send you, guys, the link where to get it :) 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

@Wedgy you definitely deserve an award for coming up with that one, though as you mentioned it’s amazing that @jacob1981 was able to describe the characters so accurately. I’m curious about it now if for no other reason than it having Pink Floyd as part of it’s OST which seems highly unusual. Also I must say the video quality of that clip looks amazing from something that old and especially on Youtube (would suggest there’s been a remaster at some point). Unfortunately I’ve found little else about it on the few online product searches I tried.  Good luck though and keep us informed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

41 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

@Wedgy you definitely deserve an award for coming up with that one, though as you mentioned it’s amazing that @jacob1981 was able to describe the characters so accurately. I’m curious about it now if for no other reason than it having Pink Floyd as part of it’s OST which seems highly unusual. Also I must say the video quality of that clip looks amazing from something that old and especially on Youtube (would suggest there’s been a remaster at some point). Unfortunately I’ve found little else about it on the few online product searches I tried.  Good luck though and keep us informed.

I will keep searching. According to Blu Ray.com it doesn't have a release but sometimes they can miss out a title completely. I will try asking my Japanese friends on Facebook. If we're lucky, it will surface somewhere. There has been a German DVD release, according to IMDB. That's already good news.  I'll keep you informed :) God, I'm so happy I finally found the title :) 

Edited by jacob1981

@Wedgy@Ohiotaku@Seshi@Beocat hey, guys :) I was able to find a French DVD so far 

https://www.nautiljon.com/dvd-blu-ray/les+3+mousquetaires+-+film+1+-+2+-+Édition+collector+-+dvd,6408.html

It's been released in 2017, so I hope it has a decent quality. The thing is we still need English subtitles for this, but I'll definitely will be buying this if I don't find a better HD release :) 

Will need to look for subs :) 

• Like 1

@jacob1981 I think these are the two movies (is there also a series though?). They are quite cheap on amazon (but if you live in north america you might encounter dvd region problems)

https://www.amazon.fr/Trois-mousquetaires-lespace-1-2/dp/B075KV35JG

If you search for "les trois mousquetaires de l'espace" on youtube you can also find something (including the cyclops scene you mentioned) that's probably similar to that on amazon

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@jacob1981 I think these are the two movies (is there also a series though?). They are quite cheap on amazon (but if you live in north america you might encounter dvd region problems)

https://www.amazon.fr/Trois-mousquetaires-lespace-1-2/dp/B075KV35JG

If you search for "les trois mousquetaires de l'espace" on youtube you can also find something (including the cyclops scene you mentioned) that's probably similar to that on amazon

Oh, don't worry, My DVD player happens to be region free, still I'll need to find a way to add english subtitles to it, since it has only spanish according to the description. So I'll need to make a custom disc :) 

Thanks for letting me know. I checked the French version on youtube. I must say the picture quality seems pretty decent :) Will order it shortly :)  

Edited by jacob1981
  • Like 1

@jacob1981 You could just download the version from youtube (or take the video from the dvd) and add subtitles, burn it to disc and put it in the case together with the original one. Not ideal and maybe not legal (don't know if you can download and burn youtube videos in whatever jurisdiction you are in) but since you bought the original one it seems to be a relatively easy solution

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@jacob1981 You could just download the version from youtube (or take the video from the dvd) and add subtitles, burn it to disc and put it in the case together with the original one. Not ideal and maybe not legal (don't know if you can download and burn youtube videos in whatever jurisdiction you are in) but since you bought the original one it seems to be a relatively easy solution

That's what I'm planning to do :) I'll use the DVD stream to add subtitles

• Like 1