Impressions of individual studios.

Koumi

Admittedly, within this decade alone, I notice KADOKAWA has earned itself as THE Isekai Studio within the anime business.

Prior to KADOKAWA, I did receive the impression that Tatsunoko has a heavy superhero influence, courtesy of its founders, growing up reading American comic books.

Toei and Sunrise are two of the most prolific studios that handle mecha.

Feel free to share your impressions of individual studios.

• Like 1

Kyoto Animation is the most likely the most consitently influential studio at the moment. Most of what they make is still talked about today. They can make funny shows like Nichijou, Dragon Maid, and K-On, but also emotional shows like The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, A Silent Voice, (one of my favorite anime of all time) and Violet Evergarden.

Also, props to ufotable for remaking Fate. They seem to be doing a good job with Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kinbaryu said:

Kyoto Animation is the most likely the most consitently influential studio at the moment. Most of what they make is still talked about today. They can make funny shows like Nichijou, Dragon Maid, and K-On, but also emotional shows like The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, A Silent Voice, (one of my favorite anime of all time) and Violet Evergarden.

Also, props to ufotable for remaking Fate. They seem to be doing a good job with Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer).

It's weird, at least for me, KyoAni's move light sided series tend to be really well done, but the more series movie or series (like Violet or Koe no Katachi) tend to be ... off. They're good, really good, but KyoAni just tends to put too much into the emotional scenes. Like, so much cliché and a soundstrack so loud that you think more about the music than about what actually happeneing.

Is it just me, or is Toei Animation one of the least discussed studios, even though its among the most influential?

Edited by leinwandname
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leinwandname said:

It's weird, at least for me, KyoAni's move light sided series tend to be really well done, but the more series movie or series (like Violet or Koe no Katachi) tend to be ... off. They're good, really good, but KyoAni just tends to put too much into the emotional scenes. Like, so much cliché and a soundstrack so loud that you think more about the music than about what actually happeneing.

I completely see what you mean. To be honest, I understand both perspectives of the coin, and I ultimately think it's just personal preference. I've been holding off on Violet Evergarden after three episodes, but I loved A Silent Voice.

1 hour ago, leinwandname said:

Is it just me, or is Toei Animation one of the least discussed studios, even though its among the most influential?

Hahaha, you're right, they completely skipped my mind. How could I forget the titan responsible for the One Piece, PreCure, Dragon Ball, and Digimon anime? I think the reason why Toei is glossed over is actually because they're so influential, to be honest. They give off this "casual" feel, like what they produce isn't anime anime, which seems redundant. I think the best way to put it is like this:

You meet with a friend and you ask each other what your favorite respective anime are. You tell him your favorite anime is FLCL or the Monogatari Series or something like that. Then, your friend tells you that their favorite anime is Dragon Ball Super. I hate to sound like an elitist here, but you can understand where I'm getting, right? An anime like the Monogatari Series or FLCL have more beneath the surface. They have a lot to analyze and utilize anime as a medium to its fullest potential through stellar visuals. On the other hand, Dragon Ball is an action series that appeals to a massive audience. (Not to mention, it can suffer heavily in the animation department in some episodes.)

I'm not saying someone is inferior for liking Dragon Ball or anything like that, but I have met plenty of people that watch shows like Dragon Ball and claim to not be anime fans. Conversely, many of my friends that are into anime do not have Dragon Ball as their favorite anime.

Edited by Kinbaryu
Clarification
  • Like 1

I guess many anime fans tend to look down on people who like the 'big ones'? I mean, unfortunately  many anime fans tend to be elitistic to some degree...

Another reason is probably, that the big shonen anime run for so long that only hardcore fans keep discussing and memeing it - and if a studio like Toei is predominately known for shows like this, they tend to get overlooked.

Unique (as not that OP or DBZ isn't unique but after a couple of years they tend to feel generic) like FLCL or Monogatari that aren't released regularely or completely different to anything before and after will stay relevant in discussions for a long time, because they are not that present on the release schedules. And with it their studios.

Also, not necessarily anything to do about what we talked but I'm just gonna drop this

Edited by leinwandname
  • Like 1