Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT: N1-N5)

Optic

Anyone that is interested or had already been certified for the JLPT? N1 is done to a high level whereas N5 is to a fairly basic level.

It seems if you need to use Japanese to a business level in Japan many employers are keen to see whether you are N1 or N2 certified.

I think N5 would be a good starting point for Japanese beginners and what I'll be aiming towards. To my knowledge the test is only held twice each year.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried the test when there were only 4 levels. I tried N3, but was screwed with the listening. That was about 7 years ago.

I'd like to try again, maybe N4. My roommate has N3, but keeps failing N2.

I am hoping to get both my N5 and N4 done in 2016.

Here's hoping :P

My recommendation is to go straight to N4. You can go to the site and determine which would be best for you.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried the test when there were only 4 levels. I tried N3, but was screwed with the listening. That was about 7 years ago.

I'd like to try again, maybe N4. My roommate has N3, but keeps failing N2.

May I ask how much formal education of the language you and your roommate had when taking these tests? My current goal is to jump right into the N3, but I'm worried the kanji will get me.

May I ask how much formal education of the language you and your roommate had when taking these tests? My current goal is to jump right into the N3, but I'm worried the kanji will get me.
Sorry about the later reply. As for my friend, I'm honestly not sure. She's a few years younger (early 30s) and she did an exchange in Japan when she was in high school. She mostly studies on her own. She's very determined...I really do admire that about her. She's also naturally smart. Wish I were.

As for myself, no formal learning. I used to take lessons years ago, though, stateside. I was more serious with studying back then....but kinda got a bit lazy after I returned from Japan my first time after the tsunami and earthquake hit.

Sorry about the later reply. As for my friend, I'm honestly not sure. She's a few years younger (early 30s) and she did an exchange in Japan when she was in high school. She mostly studies on her own. She's very determined...I really do admire that about her. She's also naturally smart. Wish I were.

As for myself, no formal learning. I used to take lessons years ago, though, stateside. I was more serious with studying back then....but kinda got a bit lazy after I returned from Japan my first time after the tsunami and earthquake hit.

I see. Thank you for the information, and good luck if you do attempt the N4. Let us know how that goes!

• 7 months later...

Nine months later...

I'm booked in for JLPT N5 this December!

I'm building up my kanji and vocabulary via SRS and learning grammar via Tae Kim's guide. I haven't touched Genki much though, it's quite dry and has lots of group activities. @_@ But will probably have to push myself to get through it. Also have a practice N5 exam which I will try to do once I feel more confident.

Anyone else taking the JLPT this December?

• 6 months later...