Favorite "Old" School Anime

Hime

I enjoy a lot of mecha genres; especially the old school ones. I am a fan of Macross/Robotech series and Captian Harlock series as well.

Sailor Moon

My sister got me into this and I really love it! I am a member of like a few dedicated Sailor Moon forums.

Cowboy Bebop

Classic space meets western. Love the characters, concept and love affiars.

Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure

I mean come onnnn! Awesomeness.

The Vision of Escaflowne

Who can forget this awesome mecha anime series and gorgeous movie??

Neon Genesis Evangelion

This...everyone should know this series of fudged up pervertedness epic doom. So epic and classic.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Also a messed up series and movie. An anime you have to watch more than once.

Now that I have shared some of mine; share some of yours and why!

Cowboy Bebop was definitely a good one. Although, when I watched it I wasn't all that into episodic anime, perhaps its time for a rewatch. Also, not as old school, but Samurai Champloo. I just felt like the pacing was really well done, along with the overall likeable main characters. Besides that though, I really haven't watched that much old school anime. I have been meaning to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion for quite some time though.

• Like 1

Yes, Cowboy Bebop had an old funky western meets space type of feel. The characters felt raw and fun to watch how they develop throughout the series. Samurai Champloo is definitely one of my favorite animes! The storyline and character development was both entertaining and beautiful to watch. Even when it came to minor characters; everything just sucked you in. The fighting was pretty darn awesome too and the comedy puns! Of course that is why it is called "Samurai Comedy". A shame it didn't do too well in Japan, but here in America; mostly everyone I have ever come across has loved it and we actually got to complete it.

• 7 months later...

I like some old school stuff like the original Dragon Ball, Di Gi Charat, the Sonic Anime OVA and I think some others that aren't immediately popping up in my head.

I'm thinking of getting into Lupin III. I have The Castle of Cagliostro, though I'd be lying if I said that the fact that Hayao Myazaki directed that wasn't a reason I bought it. I'm actually planning on taking it with me to my friend's place today.

Speaking of which, I like a lot of Studio Ghibli films. I still have fond childhood memories of My Neighbor Totoro.

Edited by Guest

Looks like old school means anything before 2000. These were my golden years for watching anime because I was a kid and a young teen then. I can't name an absolute favorite but here is a small list.

Anything Gundam from the original all way until Wing

Saint Seiya

Lupin III

Yu Yu Hakusho

Ramna 1/2

Evangelion

Macross

Outlaw Star

Trigun

Kenshin

Berserk

Those ones I liked a lot but I watched a lot more at the time. Although I like the anime that comes out now I always go back and rewatch the old stuff. A lot of anime that comes out now can't touch some of the classics to me. (y)

Edited by Guest

For me, it would be the first Lupin III series. Green-jacket era Lupin. I love the late 60s style of it and some of the music. I also liked Fujiko a lot more for it compared to the later series.

Along with that, it would be Yoroiden Samurai Troopers.

Edited by Guest

Old anime, yesssss.I remember them like it was yesterday. They dont make anime like they used to in the 90s, pre 00s. Here's a list of the ones i liked the most.

-Bubblegum crisis

-The vision of escaflowne

-BT'X

-Slayers

-Saber Marionette J/J to X and R

-Like OP said Macross, Robotech and Evangelion

-Those who hunt elves

-You are under arrest

-Sailor moon

-Sakura Card captors

Also my main squeeze, Jimmy neutron, nah im kidding. I could go on with the list but probably some will get tired of reading about half way,

By the by, i'm still waiting for mecha senpai to bring me ice cream. Buh byez

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I enjoy a lot of mecha genres; especially the old school ones. I am a fan of Macross/Robotech series and Captian Harlock series as well.

Sailor Moon

My sister got me into this and I really love it! I am a member of like a few dedicated Sailor Moon forums.

Cowboy Bebop

Classic space meets western. Love the characters, concept and love affiars.

Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure

I mean come onnnn! Awesomeness.

The Vision of Escaflowne

Who can forget this awesome mecha anime series and gorgeous movie??

Neon Genesis Evangelion

This...everyone should know this series of fudged up pervertedness epic doom. So epic and classic.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Also a messed up series and movie. An anime you have to watch more than once.

Now that I have shared some of mine; share some of yours and why!

Slam dunk 100% the characters were awesome and it was really light hearted, and compared to other sports anime it was quite realistic. Also, the main character shows significant development which I found super interesting to watch !! Definitely try it out

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been watching anime for a long time, but of the few I have watched are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, which I think are amazing.

Trigun is captivating, mostly because of it's awesome main character, Vash the Stampede. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

• Like 1

Oh whats galaxy express 999?

It was released in the 70's and completed in the 80's.

It's kind of an episodic episode where a blonde and a kid go to new worlds and explore stuff.

If you're into older anime, you probably seen this somewhere.

galaxy_express_001.jpg.32a4e3b9a9a15fcfcac141c18eab0afc.jpg

I actually remember having a VCR tapes of Galaxy express 999 with korean subtitles. Kind of strange, but cool.

Edited by Guest

It was released in the 70's and completed in the 80's.

It's kind of an episodic episode where a blonde and a kid go to new worlds and explore stuff.

If you're into older anime, you probably seen this somewhere.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8kMLpp-fKAhVB22MKHZiaCzUQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fandompost.com%2F2011%2F07%2F12%2Fadieu-galaxy-express-999-dvd-review%2F&psig=AFQjCNEMgbJ38p1XSQrYGD-FkzqTTHHmHA&ust=1454991459079104

I actually remember having a VCR tapes of Galaxy express 999 with korean subtitles. Kind of strange, but cool.

Sounds quite interesting, I'll definitely add it to the never ending list of anime to watch

xD

Sounds quite interesting, I'll definitely add it to the never ending list of anime to watch

xD

Yeah, I know what you mean.

my backlog is filled with shows that I'll never watch.

I think it's around 200ish.

excluding my backlog for other mediums, like movies, literature, and video games.

It's crazy. I swear im going to finish it one day thou.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

my backlog is filled with shows that I'll never watch.

I think it's around 200ish.

excluding my backlog for other mediums, like movies, literature, and video games.

It's crazy. I swear im going to finish it one day thou.

Challenge accepted ;)

• Geano locked this topic