Jump to content
Seshi

AF 2019 Mid-year Top Anime Picks

Top Anime 2019  

8 members have voted

  1. 1. What’s your favorite?

    • Fruits Basket 2019
      0
    • Rising of the Shield hero
    • Mob Psycho 100
    • One punch man S2
      0
    • The Promised Neverland
    • Demon Slayer
      0
    • Dororo
    • Kaguya-sama: Love is war
      0
    • The Quintessential Quintuplets
    • AoT Season 3


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Let’s discuss this years most popular anime for AF! What’s YOUR pick for the top favorite of 2019? 

——-

The anime I’ve most enjoyed as of June, has been The Rising of the Shield hero (big surprise everyone). 

I love how the story is fulfilling the points that I’d been wanting to see for our hero and starting a new plot as they venture forth into the coming season. I’m very excited to see where things go from here. Never a dull moment in this anime.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen The Rising of the Shield Hero's anime because I have read the manga a while ago. I remember really liking it, but my memory of the more recent arcs is a little bit hazy. My opinion on most of these anime are similar, like Mob Psycho 100 II and Love is War. The only anime I've been keeping up consistently with are One Punch Man Season II and Isekai Quartet, but I wouldn't consider them to be the "best" anime.

I've started Kimetsu no Yaiba, (Demon Slayer) and while I did like the animation, I'm not too sold on the characters yet. Maybe I'll pick it back up after watching other stuff.

My personal pick would be Go-Toubun no Hanayome. (The Quintessential Quintuplets) The harem tag might turn people away from this show, but I did enjoy the manga and I am still regularly keeping up with it. The characters are really enjoyable, and the particular focus and direction the story went appealed to me.

Image result for gotoubun no hanayome

Edited by Kinbaryu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kinbaryu said:

My personal pick would be Go-Toubun no Hanayome. (The Quintessential Quintuplets) The harem tag might turn people away from this show, but I did enjoy the manga and I am still regularly keeping up with it. The characters are really enjoyable, and the particular focus and direction the story went appealed to me.

Image result for gotoubun no hanayome

Thank you, I’ve added your pick to the poll.

My true aim is to have a vote on our members favorites, so my list is just a starting guideline.

  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Thank you, I’ve added your pick to the poll.

My true aim is to have a vote on our members favorites, so my list is just a starting guideline.

Well, I'm glad to have contributed. By the way, it's not the second season of the show, so it should just be "The Quintessential Quintuplets".

I wonder what will turn out to be #1. :nerd:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I voted for Dororo. It follows the quest of a  young man to regain his physical body which his father traded away to a group of demons in exchange for prosperity for his territory. It paints a much more complex picture of ethics and morality than in many other anime, because the closer he comes to succeeding, the more catastrophe and suffering befalls the citizens & in order to defeat the demons he must resort to an “inhuman” level of violence and rage. The series has it’s shortcomings as the writing can seem a bit awkward at times and humor is in short supply but it still stands out as something special and the title character is actually an orphaned thief who accompanies the MC provides some much need optimism.

I’m really enjoying Shield Hero as well, but it can annoy me at times as well. Plus, I’m certain that not all the loose ends will be wrapped up this year, whereas it seems like Dororo will reach it’s finale by the end of the month. Fruits Basket is another contender, but again I’m fairly certain it will need to carryover into 2020 and possibly beyond.

32 minutes ago, Kinbaryu said:

My personal pick would be Go-Toubun no Hanayome. (The Quintessential Quintuplets

On the lighter side I prefer We Never Learn which has a lot of similarities, but feels more like an oldschool harem anime. Plus the characters have developed enough now that it feels like each of them have a distinctive relationship to the male lead, making me more invested in them. It’s also pretty funny with a fair amount of fanservice without being as blatant as some other recent series. 

And of course Isekai Quartet is another fun series I’m really enjoying.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ohiotaku said:

I voted for Dororo. It follows the quest of a  young man to regain his physical body which his father traded away to a group of demons in exchange for prosperity for his territory. It paints a much more complex picture of ethics and morality than in many other anime, because the closer he comes to succeeding, the more catastrophe and suffering befalls the citizens & in order to defeat the demons he must resort to an “inhuman” level of violence and rage. The series has it’s shortcomings as the writing can seem a bit awkward at times and humor is in short supply.

I’m really enjoying Shield Hero as well, but it can annoy me at times as well. Plus, I’m certain that not all the loose ends will be wrapped up this year, whereas it seems like Dororo will reach it’s finale by the end of the month. Fruits Basket is another contender, but again I’m fairly certain it will need to carryover into 2020 and possibly beyond.

On the lighter side I prefer We Never Learn which has a lot of similarities, but feels more like an oldschool harem anime. Plus the characters have developed enough now that it feels like each of them have a distinctive relationship to the male lead, making me more invested in them. It’s also pretty funny with a fair amount of fanservice without being as blatant as some other recent series. 

And of course Isekai Quartet is another fun series I’m really enjoying.

As always, I can look forward to an insightful commentary from you, Ohiotaku. Thank you. And if you wish to change your vote in the future and request another of these anime added, do let me know.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I had a choice to choose more than one then I would surely go for The Promised Neverland and Dororo. Both are unique in their own way. #votedforneverland

As much as I like to praise The Rising Shield Hero for not being yet another generic isekai anime with the guy uncomfortable with being around girls and blush each 3 second. I will still have to give it the third place. There is more amazing stuff incoming, reading the manga currently. Considering it's popularity, it might get a second season.

Honorable Mentions: Black Clover, Demon Slayer, One Punch Man S2

Edited by Muco
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Muco said:

If I had a choice to choose more than one then I would surely go for The Promised Neverland and Dororo. Both are unique in their own way. #votedforneverland

As much as I like to praise The Rising Shield Hero for not being yet another generic isekai anime with the guy uncomfortable with being around girls and blush each 3 second. I will still have to give it the third place. There is more amazing stuff incoming, reading the manga currently. Considering it's popularity, it might get a second season.

I’m so glad you said this.. I now have to check out these two that won over Rising of the Shield hero.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not In the poll But Attack on Titan S3 Part 2 Easily 😜 

10/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh.. oops 🤣

Meant for that to be there. Updated @Humbby

Sorry everyone! Feel free to change your votes if need be 😅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen any of these yet. I know that's bad 😂 I will get round to watching them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Serge heartless I like JoJo too! I'm not sure if we can call it a "2019" anime, though, since it started in 2018.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well one punch man, Mob Psycho 100, and attack on titan also didn't start in 2019. Other then that I didn't watch anything else on the list. And 2018 I would have picked, i was reincarnated as a slime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

Well one punch man, Mob Psycho 100, and attack on titan also didn't start in 2019. Other then that I didn't watch anything else on the list. And 2018 I would have picked, i was reincarnated as a slime. 

Yes, however all of the series on the list have a currently airing 2019 season. That’s the point of this thread, to gauge interest from the releases of 2019, based on what is most popular, and what our users like.

Thanks for your input though, it’s good to hear your interests as well.

Edited by Seshi
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

out of all these id vote for attack on titan I guess. Since it has the most devolved characters and story. One punch has some cool characters, but some of them are just there to be set up for monsters to beat them up till saitama saves them. Also really none of the characters have a story besides saitama and genos. As for Mob Psycho, some reason, its just really slow these season. Season 1 was really good, and now season 2 is just meh. 

I didn't watch anything on this list. Mostly cause I don't watch slice of life, romance, or sports anime, but thats just my opinion.

Edited by Serge heartless
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote went to Shield Hero its certainly my anime of the year. I would have to say Fruits Basket 2019 is a close second.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks @ArchieKun, it looks like Rising of the Shield hero and The Promised Neverland are tied up at the moment.

After reading up on the Promised Neverland, and the fact that there will be a second season to come, I can easily see why it’s so popular. This has been a good season for anime.

@Serge heartless as far as not wanting to see slice of life/ romance, you should check out these two anime as well, both are fantasy (though one is dark fantasy) same with Dororo.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have A.D.D. if a anime can't hold my attention in like 10 mins, then ill get bored of it. It might be why I just can't watch characters sitting around and talking for half an hour. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Serge heartless said:

I might have A.D.D. if a anime can't hold my attention in like 10 mins, then ill get bored of it. It might be why I just can't watch characters sitting around and talking for half an hour. 

I’m with ya.. if it’s not something really intriguing, I’m out ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 3:58 AM, Humbby said:

Its not In the poll But Attack on Titan S3 Part 2 Easily 😜 

10/10

I doubt I’ll be changing my vote but agree that AOT3’s final(?) cour has done an excellent job of taking advantage of nostalgia for the series early episodes while at the same time expanding its worldview.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to catch up with AoT and see what the hype's been on about. I think I've only breached about 5 episodes into season 3, so I'm not super far behind. I miss the atmosphere of the first season, though. That sense of unknown and sheer terror for humanity that was lost once the conspiracies began to emerge in the second season. Season three-- what I have watched of it so far-- has really done away with that man VS. beast theme and is, for lack of a better description, just violent politics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the options available, Mob Psycho 100 S2. There's absolutely no competition, the second season was just a massive improvement over an already very good series, and introduced a ton of character development, and a proper overarching plot. It was really good, and we'd strongly recommend it to basically anyone.

What's missing from the poll though, is My Roommate is a Cat. We weren't expecting Cat to be a good show. We were actually expecting it to be a really crap pandering show that we would drop after three episodes, and we only picked it up in the first place because we have cats of our own.
My Roommate is a Cat looks like a dumb comedy/slice of life, and it is, but only on a surface level. It hides a strikingly well written story about a man getting over the death of his parents, and reintegrating with society, and a cat getting over the death of her siblings, and relearning to care for another. We'd never say that it's as good as 3-gatsu no Lion or Clannad, but if you like those series, and the development of their protagonists, go and watch My Roommate is a Cat.

Also, Haru the cat genuinely won an end of season best girl poll. This is not a meme poll, this was 100% genuine, and god damn did she deserve it.
https://anitrendz.net/charts/female-characters/2019-03-28

  • Cute (Kawaii) 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^ This is probably my Pleasant Surprise series of 2019 despite being a lifelong dog person. There was a particular poignancy for me as my own parent’s passed away in recent years and currently it’s just me and my 12 year old yellow lab and like Subaru I’ve always been an introvert. Seeing Subaru come to terms with his grief and gradually become more comfortable with social interactions was very reassuring. And Haru is adorable of course while still bringing a distinctive “cat” perspective and attitude towards the situations. And I ship Subaru & Okami.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, Wedgy said:

I need to catch up with AoT and see what the hype's been on about. I think I've only breached about 5 episodes into season 3, so I'm not super far behind. I miss the atmosphere of the first season, though. That sense of unknown and sheer terror for humanity that was lost once the conspiracies began to emerge in the second season. Season three-- what I have watched of it so far-- has really done away with that man VS. beast theme and is, for lack of a better description, just violent politics. 

Well compared to other animes, most of the characters are throw aways, or have no story. Everyone almost has a story in attack on titan so you know about them. They aren't just some randoms like goblin slayers side characters, aka lizard man, elf girl, and witch, which the anime doesn't talk about anything about them. Or one punch man s class heroes that have 0 story, like aka flashy flash, dogman, or metal knight. These are just some examples of characters who are just there, and have no story, and you feel like you don't know anything about them.  As for season 3 part 2 of AoT, its really fast, and get to see the armored titan, beast titan, and colossal titan all fight. And they all have a background and a story. Almost all characters do in AoT, you also never know who is going to die or who isn't.

 

I mean some characters in other shounens could die, but most of them time you don't feel anything, mostly cause they have 0 story to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums is where fans from around the world can gather to discuss anime and Japanese culture!  All anime fans are welcome. Take a moment to join us now!
×
×
  • Create New...