A very indepth and detailed anaylsis of music.

ItsSammy

This is an analysis of the songs that I personally connect with the Sherlock show.

I have spent quiet a long time compiling all of these songs and finding how they correspond with the events that unravel during the entirety of the show, there will be spoilers ahead but I will try not to give away too much.

The relationship of Sherlock and John (Just in general):

Fragile by Gnash and Wrenn

---------------------------------------

I love this song and it depicts the emotions of Sherlock and John so well; they're both struggling with how much they love and need each other since Sherlock is a sociopath and has never had any friends before, and John is scared of getting to attached to Sherlock because he is a sociopath who hasn't had friends before.

The line, "I don't wanna be alone, but I'm better on my own." sounds so much like something Sherlock would say, and in fact, it is what Sherlock said (Just in a slightly different way) when he told John, "Alone is what I have. Alone protects me."

The next line, "I'm sorry you saw me breaking, but stay with me don't stray. God, I wish you would hold me closely, don't think I don't feel the same." sounds like what John was thinking during Season 4 near the end of Episode 3, he was so fragile and broken but he just needed Sherlock to hug him and save him ...

The line, "'Cause I'm fragile. God, I'm fragile." just describes them both so perfectly since they're both so scared and fragile throughout the show.

Sherlock is fragile from the beginning, he's scared of emotions and feelings, he's unable to understand or express how he's feeling, and he's absolutely horrified of rejection ...

John is more emotional, more accepting of his feelings, but he's still scared of letting Sherlock know since Sherlock is a sociopath and John's scared of being rejected as well.

Candle In The Rain by Miaa

-------------------------------------

This song is absolutely beautiful and just depicts their friendship so well, seeing as they're both there for each other no matter what ... I especially love the line, "When you can't see how bright you shine I will reflect your eyes in mine, remind you who you are." since John is always there for Sherlock even when everyone else disrespects, mistreats, and unfairly judges him, John is still by his side to tell him how amazing he really is.

This whole song is just about saving one another, being there for each other, and doing whatever it takes to keep each other going ... This is just like Sherlock and John's friendship, never ending and always there.

Sherlock and how he feels towards John:

Somebody To Die For by Hurts

-----------------------------------------

I love this song and it reminds me so much of Sherlock's relationship with John, how he never had a reason to live and instead just cured his boredom and curiosity with crime solving and deductions, yet when John comes into the picture Sherlock suddenly has a reason ... A meaning, someone to protect, someone to love, and someone to die for.

The line, "I could drag you from the ocean, I could pull you from the fire." actually fits so perfectly since Sherlock literally saves John from a fiery death ... "And when you're standing in the shadows I could open up the sky, and I could give you my devotion until the end of time, and you will never be forgotten with me by your side." is also very fitting since Sherlock is always there for John, and he's willing to give his all to him no matter what.

The line, "I've got nothing left to live for got no reason yet to die," just goes with what I said before, Sherlock didn't have any reason to live until he met John, "but when I'm standing in the gallows I'll be staring at the sky, because no matter where they take me, death I will survive and I will never be forgotten with you by my side." Sherlock literally escapes the clutches of death (multiple times) throughout the show and it's quiet amazing to see him surviving just to protect John.

The one line that really sticks out though is, "And I don't need this life I just need ... Somebody to die for, somebody to cry for." because Sherlock literally gives everything up for John, he doesn't care about anything but John, and it's absolutely amazing.

Lift Me Up by Mikey Wax

---------------------------------

This song is quiet pretty, it's about a friendship that's gone through a lot and still survived ... Just like Sherlock and John's friendship.

The line, "Yeah it took some tears oh but together we were strong." is perfect since Sherlock and John both cried due to their friendship, yet it didn't break, and they didn't give up, they just kept going and it ended up making them stronger.

"And I feel alive for the first time in my life oh baby." sounds like something Sherlock would say since he'd spent most of his life being bored and finding ways to cure his boredom, he'd never truly felt alive and he'd never truly had a reason to until he met John.

The line, "Been through the fire but we walked off the pain, yeah we kept reaching higher you were with me all the way,

no turning back now were so alive tonight." is fitting since their friendship had some rough times, they went through a lot but they were with each other every step of the way.

The last line, " You lift me up before I fall too far, you lift me up, you help me see the stars, you pick me up when all my hope is gone. You lift me up." is beautiful since John's always there for Sherlock, always there to compliment him and believe in him, always there to show Sherlock the side of life he's never seen ... John is always there for Sherlock.

Safe by Britt Nicole

-------------------------

This song shows the insecurities of Sherlock and how he struggles with actually loving John ... Throughout the show Sherlock begins to feel emotions he's never felt, to see life in a different way, and to begin trying to understand emotions and feelings.

He's scared of loving John and he's scared of being rejected, he's scared of actually saying how he feels because he doesn't even truly understand it, he's scared of love because it's not safe ... It's a "Chemical defect" as he says and yet he's suffering from it.

The line, "You keep trying to get inside my head while I keep trying to lose the words you said, can't you see I'm hanging by a thread, to my life, what I know, yeah, I'm losing control." fits so well since Sherlock can't stop loving yet it's so starnge to him and he's loosing all control of everything he used to know ... The lines, "Oh, no my walls are gonna break. So close, it's more than I can take, I'm so tired of turning and running away when love just isn't safe." and "I've always told myself I never wanna need somebody else, but I've already fallen from that hill so I'm dropping my guard, here's your chance at my heart." is also very fitting since Sherlock's walls gradually break during the show, he slowly begins to accept his feelings and try to understand them.

The ending lines of, "It's taken so long, so long to finally see that your love is worth the risk." and "You're not safe, and that's okay." are so beautiful since Sherlock does finally give in and accept that he needs John even if it's dangerous to love someone.

John and how he feels towards Sherlock:

Forgettable by Project 46

---------------------------------

This song sounds exactly like something John would say to Sherlock ... The opening line, "To the kid in the corner trapped in the shadows of doubt. Passing time till it's over just hoping one day you'll be found. Tell me who threw your chance away? Did they even know your name?" sounds like how Sherlock was living by himself, unknown, and mistreated by those he worked with.

The next line, "You're not invisible. You're not alone, you worth more than they know. But you've been running, running, running. When you should have known. You're not forgettable," sounds like when John was so amazed by Sherlock's skills, he knew Sherlock was amazing and he wasn't going to mistreat him like everyone else had.

I just love this song because it sounds like John complimenting Sherlock and being the one person who truly admires and adores him.

Gravity by Hovig

----------------------

I just love this song in general because it's beautiful but the fact that it fits so well with John and Sherlock's relationship makes it even better.

Just the opening line, "No matter where you're going, no matter where you'll be, wherever the wind is blowing, let me be your gravity." sounds like John ... He's always by Sherlock's side ready to keep him grounded yet still let him be free.

The line, "Let me be your heart and your company, I'll let you be the one who can lean on me. I'll catch you when you fall, when you're falling free, let me be, be your gravity." also sounds just like how John is Sherlock's heart, he's the one who helps Sherlock understand human emotion and he's Sherlock's company, his only friend who's always there.

Throughout the show it's made quiet clear that John sees Sherlock as an angel and a hero, so the line, "Let me be your wings when you're flying high, I'm gonna raise you up till you touch the sky." makes me think of how John is always there to keep Sherlock go and grounded yet how willing he is to let Sherlock do whatever he wants, as in, letting him fly free.

I love this song since John is Sherlock's gravity throughout the whole show, he's the one person who can keep Sherlock grounded and it's beautiful.

Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney

----------------------------------------------

The lines of this song are so beautiful and fitting, such as, "I don't want another pretty face, I don't want just anyone to hold, I don't want my love to go to waste, I want you and your beautiful soul." and "I know that you are something special." are really fitting to show how John sees Sherlock, he doesn't view him as a freak or as a jerk, hesees Sherlock as a best friend and as an amazing detective with abilities beyond belief ... He sees the beautiful side of Sherlock and he doesn't judge him for his imperfections.

Sherlock during the moments of the show:

Watch Me by NEFFEX

------------------------------

I see this song as how Sherlock felt before meeting John, he was completely shut off from his emotions and just interested in his work, like the line, "I got my mind blind to rejection so I'll be just fine, not wasting anytime with discretion" says.

The next line, "I'm in motion I'm obsessive, like the ocean I'm relentless, no promotion still progressing, overdosing on these lessons." is fitting since Sherlock worked by himself but still solved crimes for the police, he was mistreated and misjudged by most of them but he still continued his work relentlessly.

Sherlock was a one man army, he did everything himself and did it better than a whole team of detectives, that's why I love the line, "On this grind you always stressed, so I work harder than the rest." plus, "I will never doubt myself, I can count on no one else, and I do not need your help, I was told to show not tell." also describes him so perfectly since he never needed anyone's help, nor did he count n anyone for anything, he did all the work himself and instead of just talking big he also had the skills to back up his bragging.

I also feel like the lines, "Cause passion ain't compassionate." and "These people, they don't matter kid, just block 'em out and capture it." sounds exactly like how Sherlock thought, he was driven and passionate about what he did therefor he didn't have time to sugar coat anything for those who disrespected him, he also didn't see the need for interacting with others and would block them out so he could get his work done.

Count On You by George Huff

This song sounds like what happened to Sherlock after he met John, the first line, "Life ain't easy and the game ain't always fair but you told me that you'd always be right there, never leave me and you did just what you said, I have come to believe that on you I can depend." sounds like when Sherlock realized John was actually his friend, his first ever friend, and the one person he could really trust.

The line, "Took the time to hold my hand, took the time to understand just what I needed you to do. I know I can count on you. I'll be grateful to the end for such a true and faithful friend, through the hardest times you proved, that I can count on you." is one of the reasons I picked this song to signify how Sherlock felt after meeting John, because in the song where Sherlock hadn't met John yet he's saying how he doesn't need anyone else and he can't count on anyone but himself, but after meeting John he realizes he has someone he can count on now.

The last line, "It's amazing to see the way you stand by me." is also just beautiful because John was always there for Sherlock and you can tell just how much that meant to him.

Fall For You by Secondhand Serenade

-----------------------------------------------------

I picked this song to describe the Reichenbach fall episode because it was so fitting, the line "Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you. Over again." is so beautiful yet sad at the same time, because Sherlock fell in love with John so quickly yet he didn't understand his emotions and in this episode he realizes that he loves John enough to fall for him ... The next line, "This is not what I intended, I always swore to you I'd never fall apart ... You always thought that I was stronger, I may have failed but I have loved you from the start." also shows how Sherlock has loved John forever but he's just now realizing how much he loves him.

This song is just so beautiful yet heart breaking when put in this Sherlock context.

Forgive Me by Evanescence

-------------------------------------

This is the best song I found to describe how Sherlock felt after returning to John ... The lines, "Can you forgive me?" and "I heard the words come out, I felt that I would die ... It hurt so much to hurt you." show how much he wanted John to forgive him for what he'd said at Reichenbach, and what he'd made John go through ...

The last few lines of the song describes so perfectly how this played out, "Each time I say something I regret I cry "I don't want to lose you." but somehow I know that you will never leave me, yeah.

'Cause you were made for me, somehow I'll make you see, how happy you make me.

I can't live this life, without you by my side, I need you to survive, so stay with me ...

You look in my eyes and I'm screaming inside that I'm sorry, and you forgive me again ... You're my one true friend, and I never meant to hurt you." these lines are beautiful and this they fit so well since Sherlock was really, truly sorry for what he'd done to John (Even if he tried to hide this outwardly), and John, being the amazing friend that he is, forgave Sherlock almost immediately (Because John can never stay mad at Sherlock, now can he?) because John was Sherlock's best friend.

***Spoilers for Season 3***

Who Am I To Stand In Your Way by Chester see

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This song is perfect to describe how Sherlock felt during the wedding, willing to give up the one person he loved if it meant they were happy ... He was willing to sacrifice his emotions and feelings even though it would hurt him more than anything.

The line, "Forgive me, I may have said things, that aren't exactly, the way that I feel ... I told you I'd be strong, I said that I moved on, but it doesn't take long to realize ... That I'm not over you." shows how Sherlock was willing to let go, he was willing to sacrifice his wants for the person he loved.

The line, "But if there is somebody that makes you feel happy, tends to your heart in the ways I'd been lacking, then who am I, who am I to stand in your way? I won't stand in your way." also shows his sacrifice, just so the person he loves can be happy.

The lines, "I know it sounds crazy, but I need you to trust me, if it's how it must be, then I'll fade away." and "When it finally feels true, then do what you have to, 'cause I'd never blame you, for not choosing me." shows that Sherlock knew everything would probably change, he knew he'd probably lose the person he loved and yet, it if made them happy, then he'd just have to let them go.

This song is beautiful and I even more so when taken in this context.

Hole In My Heart by Luke Friend

This song is so accurate at expressing the emotions Sherlock was feeling after losing the person he loved ...

The line, "Since you've been gone nothing makes any sense 'cause being with you was the thing I did best, now that it's over what else have I left?

'Cause I need you so much I can't lose you I need you to know, you might have gone but I'll never let go,'cause one day I know that you'll come back home, 'cause I won't let go.

There's a hole in my heart, can you fix it? There's a hole in my heart, since you've been gone." shows how Sherlock was just waiting for them to come back, he was waiting for them to fix the damage they'd done, and he wasn't holding grudges, he was just missing them and wishing he could save them.

The line, "Is this L-O-V-E? Somebody tell me what's happening to me? Is this L-I-F-E? Somebody tell me, just what's happening to me!" also shows how Sherlock was struggling with all the emotions he was feeling, he needed saving too.

Die For You by StarSet

I picked this song to show how Sherlock saved his friend because it fits so perfectly and shows how far Sherlock was willing to go if it meant there was a chance to save the person he loved.

The opening of the song is perfect, "I will run alone tonight without you by my side, I guess you had a place you had to get to ... I know your eyes, I know inside, the walls you hide behind, and I saw the truth inside the real you.

Because I know you're lost when you run away into the same black holes and black mistakes, taking all my will just to run alone, when are you coming home?" shows how Sherlock was struggling by himself but he was going to do whatever it took to save his friend, because he knew he was hiding behind the lies and he knew he needed saving ... He wanted him to come home.

The next lines, "Even if the sky does fall, even if they take it all, there's no pain that I won't go through, even if I have to die for you." and, "And when all the fires burn, when everything is overturning, there's no thing that I won't go through, even if I have to die for you." show how far Sherlock's willing to go, he's literally willing to die if it means he could save the person he loves.

The last line, "One day the earth will open wide, and I'll follow you inside, 'cause the only hell I know is without you." fits perfectly because Sherlock can't live without his loved one, he's become too attached.

Stand By You by Marlisa

I picked this song to describe the hug scene because it's just so beautiful ...

The line, "The hurt in your eyes will never disguise, the spark that lived there before, and I know that you're so much more than you're showin' ... The clouds in your hair will bring you to tears but I will catch every drop, even if it don't ever stop

'cause you're worth it, you're worth it." show how Sherlock is there for his friend, he's always been there and he will always be there.

The lines, "When you fight for every breath, and the waves are overhead, let me lay your mind to rest ... I will stand by you, when all of your dreams are shattered, and your world is left in tatters, when you're lost we're lost together, I'll stand by, I will stand by you." and " If black is your brightest color, if hurt is your only lover, when you fight, we fight together, I'll stand by, I will stand by you." just show that no matter what, Sherlock is there, he cares, and he's willing to fight anything if it means saving his friend.

One of the last lines, "Try to embrace the lines on your face, the story of who you are, 'cause I love what I've read so far, I mean it, I mean it." remind me of how Sherlock seems to love everything about John, he doesn't judge him and he even comforts him and tells him it's not a big deal when John blames himself for things ...

***Spoilers End***

John during the moments of the show:

Echo by Jason Walker

Before meeting Sherlock, John was lost in memories of war and the need to feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins once again ... He was alone in his dull life, nothing happened to him and he had no one, that's why I chose this song.

The line, "Hello, hello, anybody out there? 'Cause I don't hear a sound ... Alone, alone, I don't really know where the world is but I miss it now." sounds like how John is looking for someone to give him an adventure, he's looking for the world he's lost.

The line, "I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming my name like a fool at the top of my lungs, sometimes when I close my eyes I pretend I'm alright but it's never enough. 'Cause my echo, echo Is the only voice coming back. Shadow, shadow Is the only friend that I have." show just how alone John is, he's living a mundane life with no reason and no one to help him, he's searching for answers but unable to find any.

The next lines, "I would take a whisper if that's all you had to give. But it isn't, is it?" and, "I don't wanna be an island, I just wanna feel alive and, get to see your face again." describe how John wants to see and hear the war again, he wants adventure and adrenaline.

Symphony by Clean Bandit

After meeting Sherlock, John is finally not just hearing his own echo's anymore, he has someone who seeks thrill and adventure just as much as he does, and it helps him heal; like the first verse says, "I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence, a rhapsody for you and me and every melody is timeless ... Life was stringing me along, then you came and you cut me loose, was solo singing on my own, now I can't find the key without you."

The lines, "And when you're gone, I feel incomplete, so if you want the truth ... I just wanna be part of your symphony," and "I'm sorry if it's all too much but every day you're here, I'm healing, and I was runnin' out of luck, I never thought I'd find this feeling, 'Cause I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence, a rhapsody for you and me, and every melody is timeless." shows how John wants to be Sherlock's friend because Sherlock helps him heal, he's the thing he's been looking for, and he just can't get enough of their friendship.

Sad Song by We The Kings

I picked this song to describe how John would feel during the Reichenbach episode because this is probably what he was thinking ... The line, "Without you, I feel broke like I'm half of a whole, without you, I've got no hand to hold ... Without you, I feel torn like a sail in a storm, Without you, I'm just a sad song, I'm just a sad song." because John needs Sherlock, they need each other, and without one another they're incomplete ... John knew he couldn't be without Sherlock, he knew he needed him, and he knew Sherlock completed him.

What's It Like To Be Lonely by Tyler Ward

I chose this song to describe how John felt after Reichenbach because it actually describes what happened so perfectly ... The line, "Just a sweet girl, was she here to save me? Will I finally get to move on, maybe?" sounds like how John found someone else while trying to forget what happened.

The line, "So this is what it's like to be lonely? Spending every minute thinking 'bout you but looking for somebody else to hold me, only hoping they will know me like you do. Get out of my mind for a moment, you took my heart and marked it like a tattoo, they say that time will heal like a potion but time has only got me missing more of you, of you." sounds like how John felt, he wanted to forget, he wanted to heal, but he stuck missing the one person he needed.

The last line, "All I want is for you to know that I'm sorry for all the things I didn't, didn't do." sounds like something John would think, regretting not expression his true emotions when he had the chance.

***Spoilers for Season 3***

Hold Unto The Memories by Corey Tynan

I feel like this song describes the wedding moment quiet well since John wants to hold unto his relationship with Sherlock but the fact that everything's going to change will most likely stop that from happening ...

The line, "If I hold onto the memories and use them to guide me, will you be right here beside me? Everything I know is behind me, I'm starting a new life I just don't want to say goodbye." sounds like what John was thinking, he wanted to keep Sherlock with him but he also knew it wouldn't be exactly the same.

Inner Demons by Julia Brennan

When John was alone he pushed Sherlock away, this was probably due to the fact that he saw Sherlock as an angel and kind of blamed him for what happened, but mostly because John blamed himself and didn't want to have to talk about or accept it ...

The lines, "They say don't let them in, close your eyes and clear your thoughts again, but when I'm all alone, they show up on their own, 'cause inner demons fight their battles with fire, inner demons don't play by the rules, they say "Just push them down, just fight them harder,

Why would you give up on it so soon?"." and, "'Cause the demons they are there, they just keep biting, 'cause inner demons just won't go away." as well as, "They say it won't be hard, they can't see the battles in my heart but when I turn away, the demons seem to stay, 'cause inner demons don't play well with angels, they cheat and lie and steal and break and bruise." shows how John is struggling with his demons, and all the lines about angels, such as, "So angels, angels please just keep on fighting, angels don't give up on me today." and, "So angels please, hear my prayer, life is pain, life's not fair ... So angels please, please stay here, take the pain, take the fear." along with, "Angels please protect me from these rebels, this is a battle I don't want to lose." show how he's wishing Sherlock was there to help him, but he's still too scared and fragile to let Sherlock help.

Without You by Ashes Remian

When saving Sherlock, John is also saving himself, he's accepting the fact that he deserves to be forgiven and he's allowing Sherlock to help him ... I chose this song because the line, "I’m so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place. Hold me now, I need to feel you, show me how to make it new again. There’s no one I can run to, and nothing I could ever do, I’m nowhere if I’m here ... without you." fits so perfectly how John needed Sherlock to save him, he needed Sherlock to fix the broken parts of him, he needed Sherlock to hug him and tell him it was okay, he just needed Sherlock to be there ... The ending line, "I’m so desperate calling out your name, meet me in this broken place ... I’m tired of running and wrestling with these angels, I lay down my life and I surrender." shows how John gives up fighting Sherlock, he's tired of pushing him away and blaming him, he knows that it's not Sherlock's fault and he needs Sherlock to forgive him and fix him.

This song is just pure and beautiful.

Hold me by Janine and the mixtape

The hug scene is one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in a show, it's heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time ... The line, "Baby if I break down will you catch my tears before they hit the ground? Oh baby if I open my mouth and let my darkest memories come

out I need you to stick around ..." show how John felt, he was telling Sherlock his secrets and we leaving himself vulnerable, he let himself cry because he couldn't stop it ... Yet Sherlock was there to comfort him, to protect him, to forgive him, and to dry his tears.

The line, "Baby don't let me down, got a lot goin on right now and I need you to hold me. Baby don't let me down, got a lot goin on right now, and I need you beside me." show just how much John needed Sherlock to be there for him, he needed to him to be there because without Sherlock, John would break ... And just as he wished, Sherlock was there for him, he was there to protect him.

***Spoilers End***

So those are the songs I connect with the Sherlock show and, in great length and detail, how they fit with each scene and each character ... I personally adore Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, their friendship is unbreakable and I honestly loved finding each song to correspond with the events in the show.

I hope you enjoyed reading this (If you did, if not I understand, this was really long ...) and I also hope to get some more people to watch the show.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2