An anime tribute to the Whammy

Sonic Whammy

Today is the 40th anniversary of my all time favorite game show, Press Your Luck.

A quick synopsis for those who have never seen the show: Three contestants answer questions to try to earn "spins". These spins are then taken to the Big Board, which has a constantly changing configuration of cash and prizes to win each time you stop the board. However, lurking on the board are the Whammies, who take away all the winnings of those unlucky to land on him.

For the past 15 years, I have been fortunate enough to be able to host PYL at anime conventions in the NY/NJ area, and sometimes beyond. Early on in the life of my run, various friends were kind enough to help add to the ambiance of the game by creating some original "Whaminations". They were inspired by the ones from the original show that have the Whammy posing as various characters and celebrities. And many times, the end result sees Whammy getting blown up, flattened, or otherwise humiliated.

So, in a fitting tribute, I wanted to share the Whanimations that I've had all these years thanks to my friends' help. Hope you like them.

WHANIMATION #1: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - What goes around comes around

WHANIMATION #2: METROID - Overcharged

WHANIMATION #3: POKEMON - Ash catches your Moneymon!

WHANIMATION #4: INUYASHA - Kagome is not amused

WHAMINATION #5: SAILOR MOON - In the name of the Moon, your score will be punished!

WHANIMATION #6: DRAGON'S LAIR - When you hit 4 Whammies, it's game over. And nothing said "Game Over" better than this.

Edited by Sonic Whammy
Fixed a typo