Gaming in April 2017

RepentantSky

I made one of these a few weeks ago, and it seemed to be fairly well liked. I also made that thread already into the month, instead of before, and while normally I might do this more towards the end of a month, with March's biggest remaining release being Episode 3 of The Walking Dead: The New Frontier, which I could not cover in that thread because it's release date wasn't known at the time, April has a lot to talk about, so starting the conversation early, might be a good idea. With that in mind, here's a list of games set for release next month, if I miss anything you like, or you are looking forward to anything coming out, let's talk about it and get some last minute hype up for their release.

Persona 5, Release date of April 4th on PS4 and PS3.

One of, if not the biggest releases on the month, Persona 5 is the continuation of a spin-off series that has arguably over-shadowed the series it's based on. In it, you'll play a trouble maker of sorts who is moved to Tokyo in the hopes that his troubling school day will be put in check there. Along the way, you'll meet several people who are going to school with you, several who you can help just randomly throughout the day, and choose how to spend your time with what is likely going to be a great cast of characters. When you are going to school or helping people out, you'll be in a dungeon trying to stop adults from committing horrible acts against students and fighting and collecting monsters to aid you. It's an odd mix, but it works incredibly well and should be a blast to play when it releases early into the month.

Drawn to Death, Release date of April 4th on PS4.

This game is fairly simple, it's a gory 3rd person action shooter title that take place in maps that will come in the style of being drawn on paper, though the maps will be 3D. It will be free for PSN Plus members throughout the month of April.

Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition, Release date of April 7th on PS4, Xbox One and PC

Nothing much to say here, if you know the game, you know it, if you don't, it's a crazy for the top shooter title full of enough explosions to make Bay and the transformers jealous. It's has a simple story and the greatest highlight of the title, might be having Duke Nukem as character in it.

Yooka-Laylee, Release date of April 11th on PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch.

This game is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and will even have acting done by people making noises similar to those games. Despite some controversy revolving around a minor character voiced by Normalboots founder JonTron, who's voice has been removed from the game, it will launch with further delays. If you enjoy platforming in a 3D world, collecting items to help achieve your in-game goals and a light but charming story, this is one to pick up.

Skyforge, Release date of April 11th on PS4.

This game is a free-to-play MMO not unlike Neverwinter which came out last year for free on the system. While the Early Access Beta is set for release this Tuesday, March 28th, the full game releases the following month. This title is pretty straight forward, and may not stand out for a lot of players, but if you like MMO's, this might be worth looking into.

Full Throttle Remastered. Release date of April 18th on PS4 PC and PSVita.

This is a remake of a Lucas Arts point and click adventure from 1995. While not the most popular in that line of games, it is one that was highly requested. If you were a fan of those games, worry not, you'll get a chance at another one of them towards the middle of the Month.

The Silver Case, Release date of April 18th on PS4.

Another game not unlike Full Throttle, the Silver Case is actually a game ported from PC to the PS4 and is seemingly a Murder Mystery type of game. Don't know much beyond that myself, but it if interests you, it's out on the 18th.

Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom, Release Date of April 18th of April 18th on PS4, Xbox and PC.

This ARPG, with a combat system for akin to a fighting game than maybe even Tales of titles, Shiness is about anthropomorphic animals going a Journey and presumably, saving the world. The game is digital only and given the price set on Steam, which will discount it on release, it will likely retail for around 30 dollars.

Dragon Quest Heroes II, Release date April 25th on PS4.

A sequel to Dragon Quest Heroes, Heroes II will include different characters, a more open world setting then the first, have online 4 player mode, and presumably, more Heroes than the first game. For anyone who may not know, the game plays like a Dynasty Warriors title in that there are several enemies on screen at a time and your attacks are focused on hitting as many of them as possible per combo. If that's your style, or you just like Dragon Quest, it would be well worth your time to pick this title up.

Outlast 2, Release date of April 25th on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

The set-up for this one is much like the first. You are a journalist looking to get a story out of the location you visit only to get attacked by the locals who seem to want to kill you for some reason or another. Like before you will have nothing to defend yourself with, and only a camera light to help you see in the dark areas you'll visit. Hopefully this one can be just as scary as the last title. Either way, if you follow Let's Play channels, expect a lot of them to be giving this one a shot.

Puyo Puyo Tetris Release date of April 25th on PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

The game is pretty much what it sounds like, it's Tetris with Puyo Puyo, which is basically like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Dr. Mario. Whatever version of Tetris you prefer, you can play, but be weary Nintendo Switch users, the game costs 10 more dollars on that system.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, Release date of April 25th on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Like other games before it, this game is looking to go open world as you play as someone looking to find their lost younger brother who was kidnapped by a large gang. The concept of the gameplay is not unlike the Sniper Elite series, but it may be a more promising title overall.

Syberia III Release date April 25th on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

The third game in a series of titles, this puzzler plays much like The Walking Dead, although the premise is drastically different. If that kind of game interests you, or you have been following the story thus far, this title should be a great addition to the series.

Little Nightmares, Release date of April 28th on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

This Indie title, once in need of a publisher, found one in Bandai Namco, and is all about playing a little girl trying to survive horrors like hand grabbing at her from the walls, and large chef's who have the intent to cook her. If you like side-scrolling horror in a 3D style, this game will probably peak your interest.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Release Date of April 28th on Nintendo Switch.

This port of a fairly successful tile on the Wii U, will include new racers, a more detailed battle mode, and all the DLC from the Wii U original, along with upgraded visuals. This is for sure one that doesn't need explaining, as the series has sold just under 115 million units world wide, a number soon to be beat by this port. If you like the Kart racing, this is the best most recent title you can get into.

Well that was a lot. I'm all typed out, so I'll put my thoughts in later. Let's talk about any titles I missed, and what you're most excited for!

• Like 1

Hrmm. Can't really say that April has anything that I'm looking forward to, to be honest. There may yet be a gem or two hidden here or there waiting to be revealed, but it's looking fairly dry for me at first glance. Ah well, I'm sure Mass Effect Andromeda will keep me busy well enough - it's next on my to-do list now that I've gone through Breath of the Wild.

Beyond that, I'll be waiting a while for something new I think. I'd love to grab MK8 Deluxe, but my lack of a Switch is a minor inconvenience.

Thoughts in later time, and I'm picking up, probably 5 of these titles in Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Little Nightmares and possibly Shiness. The last one is kind of an unknown, but the rest of these titles are already paid off and just need to be picked up when they release. As a fan of most of the series these games are from or are based on, April seems like a pretty good month, and as for new IP's, it's not often that there are two in one month that I'm interested in, so that's kind of exciting. Can't wait to start playing them. Also, that Take Your Heart Edition for Persona 5 is incredibly cool for only being 40 dollars above the normal price for the game.

Shiness

I just looked this up, having never actually seen anything about it up to this point, and I must say --- it looks cute as hell. I'll be interested in hearing how it ends up, and may have to take a peek at it myself sometime in the future.

• Like 1

I just looked this up, having never actually seen anything about it up to this point, and I must say --- it looks cute as hell. I'll be interested in hearing how it ends up, and may have to take a peek at it myself sometime in the future.

Shiness is actually really interesting. The combat in it, really is more like a fighting game than pretty much even a Tales game. It's hard to tell based on gameplay, whether or not it actually because we haven't seen late game, anything yet, but if it does something like grant you bigger/longer combo's and whatnot towards the middle or later part of game, it could be really interesting. Like you said, it does look cute, so it might be fun just to enjoy the visuals and style choice of the game as well.

• Like 1