Kakegurui Episode 1 Discussion (Spoilers)

RepentantSky

So to summarize, this anime is basically a high school drama about gambling, and people possibly getting out of rough situations but it's full of holes from the get go. First and foremost as I said in a thread not too long ago, always having high school kids as the focus can be a problem, and when you throw gambling into the mix it becomes that much worse. A kid shouldn't have the skills necessarily to think ahead in the ways needed to gamble, never mind an entire academy that can do it. On the one hand, a anime about gambling is interesting as an idea, but even from the first episode it's pretty clear that the setting is just another excuse to have a character be perfect in every way, well beyond their years. On the other hand it is somewhat interesting to have someone other than the MC be the person who gets into tough situations, but when he took a backseat to the gambling going on, he wasn't the MC anymore because the character focus was switched to the one in the situation, and the last scene was basically there to remind us she wasn't the MC. The anime has potential, but I feel like it's pretty much going to be the food wars or SAO MC complex just in another setting, where despite the odds, the character we're more supposed to cheer for wins, or if and when they lose, it ultimately won't matter that much. Animation quality aside, I'd give this anime 5/10 at best and warn against watching it if everything I said doesn't appeal to you in some way.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic