Anime interpolation?

countNock

So I was wondering, does anyone have experience doing interpolating (increase framerate) for anime? I've tried to use SVP project, but it gives me these block things most of the time, especially in more complicated scenes and it ends up being quite distracting, and I also need a beefy computer to begin with so I can't use my phone or tablet in bed...

Basically, anyone know if you can interpolate the video itself and re-render it at higher fps or something like that?

Also, is there some better way of doing it? Cause I really like how smooth it is but I don't like the artifacts or whatever that crap is.

I've actually recently launched a patreon that deals with anime interpolation, you can check it out here: link removed, look up enchancethis on patreon, NO DIRECT LINKS

The problem with stuff like SVP is that the algorithm isn't quite up to snuff, which admittedly is a bit weird considering it's been updated for a while now. But then again, this is a big ordeal and can't be solved by just "any" algorithm.

You generally have to look for machine learning based technology, wherein the programmer just gives the "tools" to the program, but the program itself needs to figure out how to do it (by studying varying good examples), and this "figuring-out" is done extensively.

But anyway, there are several out there, just do a google search and you should find some, though problem is that most of them require a hefty GPU, and even with a pretty good GPU, you'll still have to wait hours or days just for 1 episode.

You could still try one of them if you want, I think right now, from my testing, the best one for interpolation would be the "dain-app", it's even got a GUI! But goodluck trying to interpolate anything more than 720p with even a rtx 2080.

1 hour ago, doggo said:

I've actually recently launched a patreon that deals with anime interpolation, you can check it out here: link removed, look up enchancethis on patreon, NO DIRECT LINKS

The problem with stuff like SVP is that the algorithm isn't quite up to snuff, which admittedly is a bit weird considering it's been updated for a while now. But then again, this is a big ordeal and can't be solved by just "any" algorithm.

You generally have to look for machine learning based technology, wherein the programmer just gives the "tools" to the program, but the program itself needs to figure out how to do it (by studying varying good examples), and this "figuring-out" is done extensively.

But anyway, there are several out there, just do a google search and you should find some, though problem is that most of them require a hefty GPU, and even with a pretty good GPU, you'll still have to wait hours or days just for 1 episode.

You could still try one of them if you want, I think right now, from my testing, the best one for interpolation would be the "dain-app", it's even got a GUI! But goodluck trying to interpolate anything more than 720p with even a rtx 2080.

Oh, some of your examples look really nice!

I only got a gtx 970, are there any "not so good" but still decent algorithms that will work on my 970?

18 hours ago, countNock said:

Oh, some of your examples look really nice!

I only got a gtx 970, are there any "not so good" but still decent algorithms that will work on my 970?

Eh, not really, 970 only got like 3.5GB of vram, I'm not sure you can do much with that, you could try the one by mortenhannemose over on github, but I've got no clue if you'll have enough vram, I can just barely do 1440p with my 2060 super 8GB, so you might be able to do a 720p footage.

As for how long it'd take, not quite sure either, it takes me roughly 5 hours for a 25 minutes clip at 1440p, so I'd imagine it'd take you longer, not sure how much longer though, 7 hours I think sounds decent for a 720p video?