Melbourne

Optic

Melbourne is a hip city in the lovely state of Victoria, Australia where you can sip better cups of coffee, cute little shopping arcade and streets, and enjoy better shopping.

However the weather is not as great as Perth *cough* but they generally have more things to do to make up for that.

My last visit was a few years ago. Some of the attractions I really enjoyed were:

• The old Melbourne Gaol
  • Queen Victoria Market
  • Skydeck 88 (awesome observation deck view!)

There was one place I didn't like as much and that was Docklands - it felt a bit... isolated? Quiet and out of the way? Maybe it has developed since my last visit.

Feel free to discuss anything Melbourne here. Maybe you live there, or thinking of going there!

There was one place I didn't like as much and that was Docklands - it felt a bit... isolated? Quiet and out of the way? Maybe it has developed since my last visit.

Oh, poor Docklands! It has received a lot of criticism. Its had a bit of bad luck. Its main attraction is the Melbourne Star which is an observation wheel which will slowly go around and you are supposedly meant to be able to see great views of Victoria. Unfortunately this wheel had many faults and had to be closed down for years. This meant that a lot of local businesses situated in the Docklands have struggled since the tourism just isn't there. Luckily, the wheel is up and running again, it almost got closed down again. I haven't been on it since none of my friends are game enough to go on it due to its troubles. I know that in Singapore and London they have similar wheels but they're much better. I would suggest anyone who goes to the Docklands to go on the observation if they really want to but I have heard its nothing special since most of the views are blocked by big buildings. Sigh.

My favourite place to go when at the Docklands though is Glow In The Dark Mini-Golf. It's really nice. :) Perfect for a date or a fun day out with family and friends. www.glowgolf.com.au/‎

Docklands also have boat cruises as well. I am yet to go on one but they look really cool. You can go on a cruise that has theatre live entertainment or just a simple buffet or three course meal.

I agree with Optic. Definitely go to the Queen Victoria Market and the Skydeck. The Skydeck is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I believe that there isn't much to do in the Docklands so those travelling Melbourne are best to go to other parts of the city or state.

For amusement parks, we have Luna Park which is right next to the St Kilda beach and its just a tram ride away. I would also suggest visiting China Town. There are some really nice clothes shops for girls there.

Melbourne also has some really cool themed restaurants. There's even a Titanic inspired theatre restaurant. Melbourne has lots of theatre restaurants such as Witches in Britches and Dracula's.

We also have some really cool bars. For the anime fan, there are Robot Bar and the Asian Beer Cafe. I would strongly suggest Asian Beer Cafe over Robot Bar, only cause the cocktails are cheaper and better there. Also, go into the toilets while you're there cause they're kind of unique. There is also, Chill On Ice which is an interesting bar where you go below freezing temperatures and have a nice cocktail drink in a frozen glass. Everything in there like the tables and chairs are made out of ice! http://www.chillon.com.au/

We also have outdoor cinemas. There's one in the city called the Rooftop Cinema. rooftopcinema.com.au/‎

There are a lot of nice places which are an hour away from Melbourne - they include Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm - that's where you can pick strawberries and you can also buy the most amazing strawberry desserts. We also have lots of fun mazes around. There are also some nice drive in cinemas still around as well such as www.drivein.net.au/‎ and www.lunardrive-in.com.au/‎

There's probably more I can think of... haha. :)

Luckily, the wheel is up and running again, it almost got closed down again. I haven't been on it since none of my friends are game enough to go on it due to its troubles. I know that in Singapore and London they have similar wheels but they're much better. I would suggest anyone who goes to the Docklands to go on the observation if they really want to but I have heard its nothing special since most of the views are blocked by big buildings. Sigh.

I think you should check it out anyway and let us know what the experience is like. :D But DAMN I checked the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel website, $32 for an adult ticket!!! I notice though they do an Encore ticket which lets you ride it again within 30 days (so ideally do it during the day then again during the night).

We used to have a wheel but it was only a temporary thing. Miss it. :(

I think you should check it out anyway and let us know what the experience is like. :D But DAMN I checked the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel website, $32 for an adult ticket!!! I notice though they do an Encore ticket which lets you ride it again within 30 days (so ideally do it during the day then again during the night).

We used to have a wheel but it was only a temporary thing. Miss it. :(

How come it was only temporary? Anyway, yeah I guess one day I would like to try the wheel but I think I might wait a few more months to wait and see if there are anymore troubles. Just to be on the safe side.

How come it was only temporary? Anyway, yeah I guess one day I would like to try the wheel but I think I might wait a few more months to wait and see if there are anymore troubles. Just to be on the safe side.

perth-wheel.jpg.944ca7f03e873522be47cb6f3d157cbb.jpg

Well sadly it was never going to be a permanent thing as it was privately contracted out. They had the best view of the Swan River by being very close to the Perth foreshore (next to our Bell Tower)... now that the foreshore is being redeveloped they don't really have that same location anymore, at least until the redevelopment is completed. Even then there's no guarantee we'll be getting the wheel back.

perth-wheel-2.jpg.c8e05ed8f7f9d4abbcec3b7a5b7d0003.jpg

It really was in a prime location, here's another photo of the skyline with it.