What even IS Gintama?!

Okay so from the urging of friends, I decided to check out Gintama. And I had my husband along for the ride too. We are looking for some Anime to get into while we wait for Blue Exorcist to pop back up with new episodes in December. I said Gintama was suggested by friends, so we started watching it via Crunchy Roll.

And oh god. What... IS. THIS? It got a chuckle or two out of me in like the first few minutes but then, everything went downhill.

I am barely past the first episode and I have absolutely no idea what is going on. The whole thing is just jarring. You only know sort of what's going on if you read the Synopsis. If you didn't, you have no idea what they are talking about. The first episode feels like it's supposed to be the fourth at least.  I would have had no IDEA about the whole Aliens invaded thing, and now there's old and new Japan sort of mixed together. I would have had no clue at all, it's not even explained, nor hinted at, or...well anything.
NO background is given to you, and you have such a jarring and stark contrast between old style Edo period Japan and then futuristic Japan...and so many characters are thrown at you so fast, and so often that it's hard to keep up with. I feel like I'm trying to learn about a weird event in history, while running down a street at full tilt with hurtles, changing scenery and the information about this weird history is on over-sized flash cards that I have to try and read as they run past me going the opposite direction.

I can't at all get invested in any of these characters so far because absolutely no one is really likable. It just seems over the top for no reason, and while the Animation is good, the story even as little as I've gotten has got the both of us so confused because it makes absolutely no sense, I mean, I'm usually down with the 'first three episodes rule', but I got such a headache before even finishing part two of episode one that I don't even want to go back.

What even IS THIS Anime? Is it Satire? Because I know much better represented satire in Anime than this. Not to mention it is over 330 episodes in counting now. ALREADY SO FAR BEHIND?! Is this even worth investing my time in?! Help, please!

Edited by Guest

• Guest changed the title to What even IS Gintama?!

Unfortunately, you definitely need to give Gintama at least 3-5 episodes before making a judgment (and even then, as Wedgy said, it'd be a pretty incomplete judgment due to how spread apart Gintama's more serious arcs are). I agree that the first two episodes kind of throw too much at you, but after that the series goes back in time and starts re-introducing the characters a lot more slowly, so they're more like actual characters and less like a blur of names and faces with random catchphrases and tropes :P

Also, agreeing with what Wedgy said that "you need to just go with the flow and not look for [the plot]." Gintama DOES eventually feed you background info and resolution, but it takes a VERY long time ...

However, if you didn't even marginally enjoy the pilot, that's probably still a pretty bad sign for your compatibility with the show :3 Gintama does have a sense of humor that isn't everyone's cup of tea, so if you don't enjoy the humor much then it would be pretty hard to enjoy the majority of the show.

Edited by CheesyTrees

I am willing to go back and do the '3 episode' rule at the very least, but  I just wanted to post about how utterly confused I was. Like... to ask if someone else was as confused as I was and that I needed some intense help here. 

• Geano locked this topic