Yosuga no Sora.... Is it really that terrible?

Meliodas99

Question

Yosuga no Sora Wasn't Terrible - In My Defense

Hello there, my name is Mel and I am here to address my defense for the anime Yosuga no Sora since Anime Animo have yet to ever deem it appropriate. There has been a long discussion among myself and my friends who also watch anime about whether or not Yosuga no Sora was a terrible anime. I know that in the anime community this anime is just downright disturbing, messed up and morally wrong to even watch because of the overlying incest that happened to ruin the shows image.

If you don't know what Yosuga no Sora is, it is an anime that follows the story of two twin siblings, Haruka and Sora. Their parents died in a tragic car crash and so they moved to a residence in the rural area of Japan, a place they used to call home long ago when they were younger. In hopes they could continue living happily, Haruka and Sora attend the local high school and begin making new friends. This anime is adapted from its original visual novel that had Haruka make choices to be with four different girls in four different alternate storylines.

Now, without further ado, here's where I try to defend my liking for this anime....

Everything That Wasn't Twincest

First of all, when it really comes down to it. Yosuga no Sora isnt a spectacular anime by any means but if you exclude the last three episodes involving Haru and his sister, the show has some value. Even though it wasn't amazing, I was still enthralled with the alternate paths that Haruka took and their stories. Nao's storyline being my favorite for the hair-pulling drama that carried out. 

You don't even have to watch the last three episodes from a technical standpoint. (If you didn't know, the incest between the brother and sister largely remains in the last few episodes.) But investing your time into watching the first nine episodes will only increase your speculation of how really screwed up the last three are. 

The storylines involving Haru and the three girls from his new school... Kazuha, Akira and Nao, were decent romances because they all had their own appealing plot directions. Except for maybe Akira's questionable story. I wouldn't want to spoil too much in case there are readers interested in watching this show themselves out of pure curiosity. 

To sum it up, if you can throw away dismissals of how terrible it is and actually put some time into watching the parts that didn't have incest involved, you can come to realize that the stories aren't as bad as they are made out to be. There can be enjoyment that doesn't come from cringing at the worst part of the show.

The Soundtracks Set Perfect Volumes

Another reason I like this anime is for its astoundingly beautiful OSTS. The soundtracks that play out during the anime set perfect volumes for what was happening in the story. For example, the OST Kioku played for the duration of some sad or tragic situations really defining those moments. 

Take a listen for yourself, the soundtracks for this anime really aren't given enough credit. 

Alternate Universes

I mentioned already that this anime was adapted from its visual novel roots where Haruka found himself making choices that would later affect who he fell in love with. Similar to the Fate/stay night anime series, Yosuga no Sora carried those different paths into the show. Haruka falls in love with four different girls in four unique timelines, each timeline having roughly the same 2-3 episodes each.

What really intrigued me was that there were things that occurred in one timeline that wouldn't occur in another. For example, Kazuha had daddy issues that were never fixed in the other three timelines seeing as Haruka was everybody's problem solver. It left me wondering how those issues were resolved without Haruka's intervention. 

Another thing about this alternative timeline angle that the anime adapted was that things didn't start from scratch the moment another timeline began. Instead, it brings you back to a moment that already happened after Haruka and Sora settled in.

Particularly Nao's Timeline

To avoid spoilers I'm going to make this reason of liking brief, simply put it is the most dramatic storyline if you exclude the mess that was the four timeline. Nao's childhood relationship with Haru and Sora was what really brought out the tension in this festival of emotions. It was also this same timeline that made me despise Sora before watching the last one. 

Cutting Haru Some Slack
(SPOILERS somewhat)

I know I might get disagreements with this but you can't entirely blame Haru for what happened in the last timeline when he gets with his twin sister. I'm going to try to explain why I believe this.

Many people might just think that Haru would be a pervert and coerce his sister into believing it's alright to have sex with him. But the real problem was his sister Sora herself. She was more of an introverted individual with less of a social life than Haru had. Sora relied on Haru as a parental figure, he was the only person she really cared about. Her lack of moral recognition lead to her manipulation of him. 

I can't defend Haru entirely, he did give in to something very morally wrong and taboo. Nobody would normally do that. However, Haru was dejected after being exposed to his sister's forbidden feelings. He was initially rejecting of what he witnessed, deep in painful thoughts. That goes to show it was a big conflict for Haru to deal with and the result happened to be him giving in to his longing desire to be there for his sister.

Haru and Sora's relationship was close as siblings but it grew into a reliance for each other after their parents died. When they were younger, they didn't really see each other often because of Sora's weak physical condition. She was hospitalized a lot during their childhood and because they were away from each other as kids, Haru seen her as a girl more than a sister. Taking this into consideration as well, I can't help but empathize with Haru even after what happened during the last timeline. It was Twincest but the situation was more complex than simply two siblings having sex on the porch as what people perceive.

That was my reasoning for why Yosuga no Sora wasn't terrible for what it could've been, unfortunately separate from what it is. I really wanted to shed some light on this anime considering it's just a cringy mess to the majority of the anime community. I could've made a blog to go against this anime as well but more than likely that's been done already. 

I hope you guys enjoyed reading. Hopefully I made my point across and have some of you interested in giving Yosuga no Sora an open-minded chance. That's all for now, thanks!

tumblr_mbjx6wPW1b1qil2luo1_400.gif

ThoseSpotlessFlea-size_restricted.gif

PicsArt_04-28-04.25.27.jpg

2 answers to this question

Wow, you really made me change my mind. I watched Yosuga No Sora (It was a dare, okay? I do not enjoy watching harem anime as I'm a girl...) and it made me feel pure hate for the show. But the way you spoke about it... It really made me change my point of view.

And yeah, for some reason I really hated Nao. I don't know why myself.:P

• Agree 1

You totally read my mind everything you said is true but why I feel the anime is terrible is because Nao was the cause of haru's misfortune and from all the realities Haru was contented with only his sister. When Nao made  Haru do her when they where young I think it affected his mind and psychology and I'm sure that moment was all he could think of. I have a friend in the same situation but he was cured because he came out with it and told his friends, now he is living a peace life without any insest acts.  If you've washed "FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC" I think you would understand that because Sora was not social so she became reliant, most girls except very strong women, no even most people always need a shoulder to rest on. I believe they don't actually love each other but as I said Sora's reliance and what she saw Nao doing Haru when they were young, made her feel she had this love for her brother because she felt jealous. While Haru couldn't be strong because he felt he needed to protect his sister and transforming simbling love to unruly love. To go straight to the point the anime started boringly then became mildly interesting, then became useless when Haru couldn't realize he was suffering from trauma and that Sora didn't realize she was just reliant on her brother, making it a very painful thought bordering and sad anime.