Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

drill

[FLOAT_RIGHT]55465.jpg.020a414aacb311af3ca4cfdfc9f96e27.jpg [/FLOAT_RIGHT]

In a time and place where one's soul can be morphed into a weapon, there are modern-day magicians called Mage-Knights. Although Kurogane Ikki is a student at an institution that trains Mage-Knights, he has no particular talent in magic and is labeled the "Failure Knight" or "Worst One." Getting way less than average marks in the scorings, he was forced to repeat a year. But with the arrival of a new head of the institution, a new rule was created: knights whose abilities are compatible, as decided by the board, must share rooms and attend practice and training together throughout their school years to bring up their abilities to the max. It is a rule to implement the absolute verdict of ability. Ikki's roommate, Stella Vermillion, turns out to be a princess of another foreign country. Stella is a Rank A knight: the type of genius in magic who only appears once a decade. When Ikki walked in on her while she was changing her clothes, it caused a huge misunderstanding, which eventually ended up in a duel between the two of them. The punishment for the losing side is Eternal Submission to the winning side. Forced to live the same room and practice magic together throughout all their school years, how will Stella and Ikki's relationship evolve?

So, maybe not the best plot line ever written, but it at least does better in execution compared to Absolute Duo, or even Mahouka which are both similar in nature. The main character is probably much more believable than both the MCs in those, and isn't too OP like in Mahouka, and isn't as dense or annoying as Tor was in Absolute Duo. It also helps that its a manga, and I probably wouldn't recommend watching the anime this Fall season, as it will probably turn into a disaster.

This manga has really taken a turn for the better since chapter 10. I like how the two have already confessed to each other compared to other stories where the guy still gets flustered just talking to the girl being dozens of chapters in (Yes, I'm looking at you Tonari no Kashiwagi-san). Anyway, while I was expecting her to pull something, I found it interesting that she took his special move. Even so, I have a feeling he probably has another trump card if he was able to beat the principal who is supposedly really strong. Hope the next chapter gets released soon.

• 4 months later...

Decided to read the manga instead of watching the anime since it works better with the current time situation(lack of free time is killing me xD).

And well, its those typical story I guess. I'm honestly surprised how fast the relationship between the two 'improved', though I think its a bit too early, it kind of kill the harem genre to me. But the story has some interesting characters which is good. With how the story goes so far, I will not be surprised if at some point* in the manga Ikki lost a battle to someone and make it like a typical sports anime, where he will try again next year/competition and succeed. I like the battle for the most part and the villain have some interesting abilities too, so yeah looking forward for the coming chapter.

*(if its a knockout type of competition which it is so far, he will probably lose in semi-final)

Edited by Guest