iPad cases for school students?

Optic

I work at a school and we have over 150 iPads deployed for Year 10-11 students. Due to the high number of accidental damage insurance claims to screens, I am looking for new ideas for iPad cases.

The first ones we tried last year were the STM skinny folio cases:

Pros: very slim, light.

Cons: flap to close case and secure in upright position didn't last long, started to peel. Little protection when dropped.

This year we tried the Speck Fitfolio cases:

Pros: faux leather feel, more protection.

Cons: plastic mold to clip and secure iPad cracked very easily over time.

As much as I would love to go Otterboxes they're just too expensive unfortunately, but if that's the only true option we "might" consider it. Any ideas guys? :)

Convince the students that the insurance will no longer pay for the Ipads and any damages will have to be paid by the students themselves.

Then when somebody breaks the screen, tell them that the school has personally paid for it's repair.

:P

Tempting... however insurance repairs require the device to be repaired by an authorised repairer that won't void the warranty by the manufacturer. So if we told students to do that, well then we wouldn't be able to get it repaired under warranty for faults like a faulty Home button.

Also if you've ever tried to replace an iPad screen it's very time-consuming because the screen is actually glued onto the device itself. To do it properly you need to melt the glue away, separate the digitisor from the screen and then reglue the new one on. No wonder the third party repairers charge around $200.

Personally if it was my own device I'd lean towards an OOW (Out of Warranty) replacement from Apple... or... not drop the device in the first place! :P

Here is a photo of one of the more badly damaged iPads:

tn_7751.jpg

Case suggestions? :grinning:

Wow. All I can say is wow.

The cases we use for our Macbooks survive drops, throws, kicks.

Actually the macbook itself manages to survive drops and throws and kicks, as long as it's on the body and not the corner of the screen :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ohh... Taalen just curious, are they carry bags or snap-on cases? We issue carry bags to students for the MacBooks but they still get really damaged so I imagine they're using them a lot outside the cases... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...