Japanese or Ethnicity?

Cydesw1pe

So I have an important question. I am working on a manga/anime series of my own, and I’ve been torn between something. Does it bother you or keep you from really connecting with a series if the characters all have Japanese names but clearly descend from a different part of the world? Or is it just something you overlook? For example:

Bleach: there’s an entire dimension of souls yet every character has a Japanese name.

or

Attack On Titan: the characters have names that vary from different backgrounds.

So what I’m asking is, is it a problem to have everyone as Japanese or does Ethnicity really matter? 

2 hours ago, Cydesw1pe said:

So I have an important question. I am working on a manga/anime series of my own, and I’ve been torn between something. Does it bother you or keep you from really connecting with a series if the characters all have Japanese names but clearly descend from a different part of the world? Or is it just something you overlook? For example:

Bleach: there’s an entire dimension of souls yet every character has a Japanese name.

or

Attack On Titan: the characters have names that vary from different backgrounds.

So what I’m asking is, is it a problem to have everyone as Japanese or does Ethnicity really matter? 

doesn't really bother me whether their named San Yuu Mi (a korean name i just made up on the spot, please no aggro me koreans if i f*cked up), if its Narukami Yuu (japanese name), or if its an english name -- like Kevin, Names all have a meaning, and if you can translate the meaning of the name from the said ethnicity -- then it should be a huge bonus

• Useful 1