thoughts on serial experiments lain or PSX lain?

lainiwakura

hello! As you can tell from my name and my profile, I'm absolutely infatuated with serial experiments lain and the lesser known PS1 game ''PSX lain''. I was curious to know what people here think of the anime/game. Personally for me, it changed a lot of things. it gave me a different outlook on religion and life and I'm a diagnosed schizophrenic so I  resonated with lain to a extremely high degree because of how much I related to her, I'm even planning to change my legal first name to Lain lol. SEL is my favorite franchise of all time but I'm open to critique on the story or stuff like that. I'm not gonna get angry or anything I was just curious to see what you guys thought of it. I was honestly surprised by the mixed reviews for SEL on animalist because I thought it was so good, but obviously ill be respectful of your opinion.

I remember Serial Experiments Lain, it was one of those series that was very popular and regarded as a "must have" in everyone's collection. Released in 1998 when "The Internet" was slowly entering the conscious mind of the general public and people were starting to have computers on their desks at work, although few had personal computers at home*.
Lain, along with some of the books by sci-fi writer Greg Bear, was one of those works that explored the idea that people could abandon their physical bodies and live entirely in the electronic on-line world.
Sometime last year I rewatched my copy of Lain and found it to be every bit as good as it was when I first watched it.

* At work my managers and colleagues regarded me as some sort of super geek because not only did I have a home computer I'd built it myself.