Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters (2016 Anime)

A brand new DIGIMON anime project has been created and it is called Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters. The new story will be about AI life forms hiding within smartphone apps. Details about the new series, which will premiere sometime in Fall 2016, are unknown.

Yay!!

Source: ANN

Official Toei Page: HERE

Edited by Guest

Look forward to more details, had a quick look at the links you provided, and had a look on Wikimon, but further information is lacking at the moment!

I originally thought that this series might be like Digimon X movie, with no chosen children (or any humans for that matter), but then I thought I was being a bit dumb, as the theme of this series is mobile phones, thus would "require" humans, my next thought was that the set up of this series might be similar to Hunters!

And I loved The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time! It was so cool, animation-wise. Back on topic, though . . .

Here's hoping that the official trailer (hope it's included with the June 9th details) is great and new chosen ones are featured in it. Some sources are saying that Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters will come out in Fall 2016; whereas others are saying that it will air in the autumn. So, sometime around August and September, the latter month that will introduce Digimon Adventure Tri's third part "Confession".

Moving on, I'd really like to see the main Digimon partners for Appli Monsters. We already saw a new Digimon in the first visual for Digimon Universe; give us more, Toei!! lol

Edited by Guest

I can't shake the feeling there was something wrong with Hunters, although I rewatched it recently, and thought "there's nothing wrong with it, what was I thinking?"

It could be that the last time I watched it, was part of a Digimonathon, going Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Adventure, 02 and Xros Wars, so when I got to Xros Wars II, I was all Digimon'd out, perhaps, or perhaps it was the change in gear, or the changes between it and Xros Wars, the one Digimon out at a time thing, etc.!

Watched the series in this order because I never saw Frontier or Savers, as Frontier never came to the UK, and Savers was on digital television only, whilst I only saw the first couple of episodes of Tamers, before it got dropped, along with Pokémon Advanced, for some reason!

You are aware Fall and Autumn are the same, Autumn is what we British people say (and possibly some other countries, but don't want to name any, in case I'm wrong)! Plus I could be looking at this too black and white "we say Autumn, you say Fall, etc.", because I hear that "mom" is not a standardised reference to mother in America, as some places do say "mum", apparently!

I actually threw a PDF that was linked to on Wikimon through Google Translate to see if there was any information not mentioned in the web articles, appears there wasn't!

I can't shake the feeling there was something wrong with Hunters, although I rewatched it recently, and thought "there's nothing wrong with it, what was I thinking?"

It could be that the last time I watched it, was part of a Digimonathon, going Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Adventure, 02 and Xros Wars, so when I got to Xros Wars II, I was all Digimon'd out, perhaps, or perhaps it was the change in gear, or the changes between it and Xros Wars, the one Digimon out at a time thing, etc.!

Watched the series in this order because I never saw Frontier or Savers, as Frontier never came to the UK, and Savers was on digital television only, whilst I only saw the first couple of episodes of Tamers, before it got dropped, along with Pokémon Advanced, for some reason!

You are aware Fall and Autumn are the same, Autumn is what we British people say (and possibly some other countries, but don't want to name any, in case I'm wrong)! Plus I could be looking at this too black and white "we say Autumn, you say Fall, etc.", because I hear that "mom" is not a standardised reference to mother in America, as some places do say "mum", apparently!

I actually threw a PDF that was linked to on Wikimon through Google Translate to see if there was any information not mentioned in the web articles, appears there wasn't!

Fall and Autumn are the same season? Whoops! lol

• 1 month later...

Right well, stumbled across these YouTube videos early Friday morning, at an hour I should have been getting up, rather than going to bed:

If you want to browse through all, be my guest, however I think the ones with the most amount of information in them are the third and fifth videos, with those two featuring the new chosen children, and a bit of animation from the upcoming series!

The two methods of "evolution" were interesting, a normal jogress/DigiXros where the resulting Digimon resembles a merger of its two original Digimon, and a "link up" evolution, where they link up "tails"!

There are also videos by AODigimon, but don't feel like looking at more videos right now, so maybe I'll update at a later date, or someone else can post about them!

The videos are great. Cannot wait to see how the new kid Haru Shinkai stacks up against the former lead goggle-boys, minus Marcus but including him too. if you know what I mean. The other human characters from Universe look as if they belong in a Digimon video game, like Cyber Sleuth, whereas Haru himself looks like a duelist from Yu-Gi-Oh! Let's see what goes down this October. Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters for the win!

Did they announce his name in one of the videos I linked to? If so, I must have missed it!

In relation to the other chosen children, do you mean due to the drawing quality, or how they look?

Haha, well the YouTuber did compare Haru to a Yu-Gi-Oh! character!

I see you like Foxy Gamer. He has a really intelligent mind. I look at his YouTube videos on Digimon too.

As for the chosen ones, I indeed think the drawing quality is poor, but we don't know how they will look once Universe airs (in October, for the love of a cheap plug!!). But I'd say the drawing quality will improve. For now, though, we'll have to look at them as rough drafts of what they'll eventually appear as in the anime.

Lastly I want to see what the villain Leviathan looks like (true form). I don't want him to just be a computer that spreads the virus to the Digimon. lol

P.S. I'm not a big fan of the Appli Drive, which is basically an upgraded Xros Loader. Since there will be fusions of the chosen ones' Digimon why didn't the creators just call it that? Beats me. But maybe it'll grow on me.

Edited by Guest

To be honest, I just stumbled on him by chance; even though I opted out of any Google product recording my activity, which includes YouTube, it is still able to go "based on your history, that I have no knowledge about, you would like the following videos"!

When Pokémon AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby were in the development stage, I followed a YouTuber named Giancarlo11, or something, his videos were quite good, although I didn't check them out much when the official stuff started pouring through!

I wonder where he got the images of the other chosen children from! You know you mentioned that the chosen children looked like they should be from Cyber Sleuth, well I didn't think about it at first, however, a similar looking character (pink twintails) to the girl chosen child, does appear in Digimon World: Re-Digitise, Rindou Akiho!

True, he could be one man, an evil organisation or a corrupted computer program, although if it was an evil organisation, Digimon might have a copyright suit dealt to it by Disney-Marvel!

You know when I looked at the new Digivice again, a thought that came to mind, was that there's another Yu-Gi-Oh! link, because it seems similar to those Duel thingies, that Duelists wear on their arms? That said, another comparison that popped in my head was one of the Power Ranger/Super Sentai series, where they use cards, and load them into their "morphers", if that's the correct term!

I believe that this is going to be a seperate universe to any previous Digimon series, so referring to this series also as Xros/Fusion would probably confuse people!

Also, a merger of two (or more) Digimon isn't something that only featured in Xros Wars/Fusion, and I felt the mergers in Xros Wars/Fusion weren't always complete mergers (examples like Shoutmon xrossed with Dorulumon, or Shoutmon xrossed with Sparrowmon, in the first example, he's got a Dorulumon "cannon", and the second example, he's just riding Sparrowmon), like the example shown in the trailer!

The "beam shot" that Foxy Gamer mentioned, as part of the "summoning", actually reminded me of the Digimental sequence from 02; where a beam shot out of the D-Terminal!

Ok, so I re-watched the videos, and I'll re-weigh in!

Firstly, it does seem that in my last watch, I did miss things, such as the mention of the main chosen child's name, and it also seems I missed the feature the Angewomon/Hikari figure set; mondo cool!

Secondly, I tried to pay attention to the translated prologue for the series!

I'm currently trying to form a possible synopsis for the series, something like:

• Unknown creatures (Digimon) exist in the Digital World;
  • The Apps on smartphones and other devices, mutate into Appmon, due to being exposed to the Digital World and Digimon;
  • These mutations make themselves aware to humans, who accept them, as they facilitate their lives!

Currently drawing a blank on Leviathian, due to this mention of "last boss A.I.", what's it mean to be the last boss A.I. of?

Edited by Guest

The plot for 'Universe' doesn't interest me and is too familiar. It sounds way to much like Xros Wars/Fusion. Honestly, I want to see the anime for Haru Shinkai and Gatchmon!!

Aside: As someone mentioned on another Digimon site, Digimon will be celebrating its 20th anniversary in less than 3 years in 2019. Did you know that, @senshikoi? It sounds cool, assuming that Toei and Bandai will actually do something special for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I've "misplaced" the video with the synopsis, however a quick search, I've got it up now in text form!

I guess I can see your comparison between this and Xros Wars, both main villains corrupt fellow monsters, and try to take over a world, in Xros Wars it's Digimon and the Digital World, and in this it's Appmon and the human world!

That said, I'm not sure if it's exactly the case of Digimon being corrupted in Xros Wars by the villain, I mean was MadLeomon always MadLeomon, or was he a Leomon that became a MadLeomon?

[spoiler=Theory]The latter might be correct, as Lilymon does say "that's the Leomon, we know", when he's purified, but perhaps she's commenting on the species, rather than a specific one!

Just to check, you are aware that the bit of a synopsis in my last post was my opinion on how the series might work, based on the synopsis!

Seems that they have the seiyuu for the characters, and it appears that the Digivice will now speak!?

Wikimon seems to have some more information on the characters now too, appears that Karan Eri and Katsura Rei are older than the protagonist; Shinkai Haru is 13, whilst the other two are 14!

I think I'm already sensing how the character dynamics are going to work:

• Shinkai Haru - charges in head first, so is often referred to as "such a kid" by Karan Eri and Katsura Rei;
  • Karan Eri - sweet personality, but annoyed by Haru's childish attitude, although her opinion of him will change over time;
  • Katsura Rei - haughty attitude, doesn't have much "love" for the other chosen children, although his opinion will change over time;
  • Asuka Torajiro - gets along with everyone, mature personality, resourceful!

I find myself comparing them to the Frontier gang, or some degree, the Savers gang!

I'm also guessing there will be a hinted romance later in the story between Haru and Eri; something I've noticed about anime romances, is that the girl is quite often older than the boy, even if it's a few months!

http://wikimon.net/Digimon_Universe_Appli_Monsters

Now that you bring it up, it strikes me as logical, even though I hadn't thought about it! 15th Anniversary was pretty much a bust from an International stand point, sure we got a game (or two, I don't know if they still classed Cyber Sleuth as being part of the Anniversary), but I don't think it was every acknowledged as being an Anniversary in the west!

With -tri- getting a US release and Cyber Sleuth being released, time will tell whether Digimon's 20th Anniversary will get any proper recognition in the west!

Edited by Guest

Since Shinkai Haru is 13, I'm guessing he doesn't have love on the brain. He reminds me of Akashi Tagiru, but then again, Tagiru never had a talking Digivice. lol

Note: 3 more months to go before the premiere of Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters!! I know we'll see great things from this series. It seems so different, even with the recycled fusion thing. We'll see!

True, however I said the romance would develop later, as I said, I see the start of the series being about a thrown together rabble:

• Haru - tries to be everybody's friend, but his headstrong attitude means he's only accepted by Torajiro;
  • Eri - lukewarm friendship with Rei, gets on well with Torajiro, but annoyed by Haru and his headstrong attitude;
  • Rei - lukewarm friendship with Eri and Torajiro, but annoyed by Haru and his headstrong attitude;
  • Torajiro - lukewarm friendship with Rei, gets on well with Eri, and even accepts Haru and his headstrong attitude!

Eventually they will be come a close knit unit, when Haru's headstrong attitude saves the day, Eri and Rei will have to admit they were wrong about him, they will however still be on his case although not as much/hard, and romantic attractions between Haru and Eri will be hinted at, from this point, or whenever one of Haru's actions has a direct effect on Eri; he saves/protects/etc. her!

Just had a look regarding Frontier, Izumi and Takuya are both 11, and in that series there are romantic hints (later) in the series; Junpei is 12, and he makes a lot of romantic hints at Izumi ;)!

Edited by Guest

Both Eri and Rei are older than Haru, both being 14, however I didn't check about Torajiro, he looks younger, but that could just be a deception :D!

Totally. I myself don't look my age. Torajiro might just be Haru's best friend in the series. *just a guess*

My beard adds ten years "to" my age, well it did when I was younger, I think my actual age might be catching up to my beard "age" now :D!

He probably will, either from the start, or after the chosen children thrown together; I'm thinking that everyone will start off as strangers, and only meet each other, or properly get to know each other after becoming chosen children, and thrown together!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it appears that more chosen children (well, that's assuming they are chosen children) have been announced, this does mean, I will probably have to re-think the group dynamic, although can't think of anything at the moment!

So, the new kids are:

• Oozura Yuujin - thirteen year old boy, with red/brown hair;

• Kashiki Ai - thirteen year old girl, with short blonde hair;
  • Watson (Wato Takeru) - thirteen year old boy, with bright blue hair, and semi-rimless glasses!

See Wikimon, for images!

• 5 weeks later...

Appli Monsters (with its recycled 'fusion' aspect) had better deliver! The new kids seem like supporting characters. Saw them on a 'Universe' poster. Too many faces, but hey, I'll still watch!! lol

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, seven chosen children is the same number that you had in the original series, and I think that worked, unless it's just the "experienced first" rule!

I'm just having another think on the characters:

• Haru - charge in head first, I'm sticking with my original opinion;
  • Eri - tsundere, sprung to mind, although what I thought was an embarrassed headshot, is actually shock, apparently;
  • Torajiro - happy go lucky, the lines on his face remind me of Naruto;
  • Rei - lone wolf, so again sticking with my original opinion;
  • Yuujin - pesonable and dependable;
  • Ai - haughty and sweet, perhaps, as the smile headshot looks quite oujo-sama to me, whilst stunned looks innocent;
  • Watson - insufferable self-proclaimed know-it-all!

Do you think there is any meaning to the latter three being revealed after the first four, in that perhaps they join later -although, probably not that much later, as images of them wouldn't have popped up yet-?

Edited by Guest

Only a few days until October 1st, the first air-date of 'Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters!!' I don't really know why I'm writing this, since I (like many others, who speak English) will have to wait on the English subs of 'Appli Monsters' to come out. For those of you who live in Japan (Or know Japanese) enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised, twelve days after episode 1 was released..., and no fansubs, still, I think I will check out some raws, see what it's like anyway!

EDIT: Appears there are subs, aniDB is just lying to us, as the streaming site I used, has the first two episodes, with subtitles!

I think the first episode is by CrunchyRoll Subs, given how minimalist the subtitles are (although as no sub group name is mentioned, can't confirm), and the second is by Cakesub, it seems!

So... how wrong was I regarding Haru?

• It turns out Haru is bucking the usual goggleboy trend, as he:
    • is initially scared;
    • doesn't display confidence (considers himself a side character);
    • is... for lack of a better word, intelligent;

[*]His love interest appears to be Ai, however she appears to be unaware of his feelings for her!

As for the others:

• Eri - Doesn't actually feature outside the opening, however her actions in the opening suggest she's outgoing, possibly able to handle herself (with the "fighter" bit),
    • By the actions of a character in episode 2, it appears that Eri is an idol;

[*]Torajiro - Doesn't appear outside the opening, however his actions in the opening possibly match my thoughts;

[*]Rei - Doesn't appear outside the opening, however his actions in the opening possibly match my thoughts;

[*]Yuujin - Does feature in both episodes, and appears to match my thoughts,

• Although I did not say it in my last post, I do believe I thought that he and Haru might have been friends, and they are;

[*]Ai - Does feature in both episodes, she sweet girl, that attends the same school as Haru, object of his affections, but possibly unaware of his feelings,

• Half matches my thoughts, as I said "sweet", but also "haughty", because of her "smile" headshot;

[*]Watson - Does feature in the second episode, I believe I was half right, as I thought know-it-all, but doesn't seem insufferable, or self-proclaimed!

Ok, so I will now review the first two episodes, a step at a time!

[spoiler=Episode 1]Intro

• Gumdramon - I thought that Gachimon sounded quite like the main Digimon partner of the last series, but apparently Kikuchi Kokoro, did not voice Gumdramon, although she did voice Chika in Savers;
  • Paatonaa ja nai - that was "not a partner" in romanji, but yes, it appears in this series they're not Partner Digimon, but Buddies!

Opening

• The Fab Four - the opening starts, with the original four (Haru, Eri, Rei and Torajiro) to first appear, after the announcement of the series;
  • Bespectacled Eri - before the revelation in episode 2, there's a hint she might be more than you'd think, and been to the Clark Kent School of Disguise;

• Ai and Watson - featuring together, it appeared that they might be linked in some way, same school, or something;
  • Haru and Yuujin - featuring together, confirms that they are friends, and, that they possibly might go to the same school;
  • Bio-merge - Haru and Gachimon clasp hands, and then suddenly, an evolution occurs;

• Love and War - Eri features both as a "fighter", and a "cheerleader" in the opening which, raises the question as to what her personality is like!

Episode

• Miina nakama - more attempts at romanji (everyone are friends/comrades) it's confirmed that Haru and Yuujin go to the same school, and that Ai also attends;
  • Start an Adventure - a vending machine presents Haru with a question, as to whether he wants "to start an adventure", or something (subs fail), reminds me of Orphanimon in Frontier;

• Blank canvas - Haru receives a plain AppliDrive, similar to how the Xros Loaders start off;
  • DigiQuartz - the AR Field is quite similar looking to the DigiQuartz, and similar way of accessing the Digital Space;
  • Caado Surashuu - further attempts at romanji (card slash), the animation for the Appmon chip, before begining AppRealised, reminded me of Digimon Tamers which, is interesting, as in trailers, 02 and the Digimentals sprung to mind;
  • Over 9000 - gone for a Dragon Ball reference, even though the Stats popping up when Gachimon AppRealised, actually reminded me of Yu-Gi-Oh!;
  • No results found - Messemon's jeering at Gachimon, telling him that no results could be found, on ways to defeat Messemon, amused me;
  • Dance Dance Search - Haru searches on Gachimon's behalf, using a projected "keyboard", organised into a square grid;
  • Getto da ze - romanji attempts aren't going to stop (I'll get you), Haru "captures" Messemon which, I thought was something new to the series, but the last series had Digimon catching too;
  • Something about Yuujin - unless it was the lighting, it appears that Yuujin has an unnatural red light to his eyes, and observes Haru and Gachimon together!

Ending

• Ending on a high - after none of the Xros Wars series having an ending theme to them, this series returns of the formula of previous series, and gives us an ending theme again;
  • Afro Dude - he features in the opening (appears I forgot that), and again in the episode, however as he appeared in the ending too, it appears he must be sort of a main character-ish!

Now onto the next episode!

[spoiler=Episode 2]

Episode

• Dark Web - when I first heard this term on CSI: Cyber, thought it was made up, something "cool" sounding for CSI, however it's a real term, and pretty cool to hear it in this series;
  • Ai's house - the place where Ai and Watson are in the opening, is revealed as Ai's house which, also happens to be a bookstore;
  • Wats Up - it's revealed that Watson knows Haru, Yuujin and Ai, when he turns up at Ai's house/the bookstore;
  • Winds of Change - Yuujin comments at the change in Haru, when he is the first one to suggest looking for Ai, who has not yet returned from her errand;
  • He Who Must Not Be Named - Gachimon freezes when he mentions Leviathan's name, Gachimon also talks about trying to uncover Leviathan's plans, on the Dark Web;
  • Idol Chosen Child - from the comments of a lost fan, it is revealed that Eri is an idol;
  • DigiXros - the new fusion system, AppLink is featured in this episode, although the music during this "evolution" didn't stand out much;
  • Photogenic - Cameramon appears before Haru and Gachimon, attacking them, but also bizarrely choosing to photograph himself as well;
  • DoGachimon - AppLink is featured a second time, however where the previous fusion was more like Shoutmon and Star Sword, this time the fusion was more like Shoutmon X2, it also confirmed that what featured in the opening, was not a bio-merge!

Right so that's my thoughts on the episodes that are currently out!

I've just found out that there are some Applimon games for the 3DS (Japan only, currently), one of which (possibly both), revolves around a gogglesboy, or gogglesgirl, depending on which you pick, however both have ahoge hair; I find it bizarre that they've chosen character designs very close to Haru, especially as he features in the game(s)!

Appli_Monsters_3DS_poster.thumb.jpg.d82d2cb4248f27d06781818ef4a4e27a.jpg

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic