Travel Adapters

Optic

Travelling to another country? You'll most likely need a power adapter for your appliances and chargers then!

Firstly you need to check if your charger will accept the correct voltage because a number of countries uses different voltage levels at the power point. For example, Australia and the UK uses 240v whilst the USA uses 120v. Recent chargers usually will accept all voltages with no problem!

But you still need to check just in case, because if it doesn't support that voltage the charger will blow up and die.

You should be fine if it does blow up, as the fuse will cut off the circuit but it's still not a good thing to have whilst on holiday. :dodgy:

To confirm it will accept all voltages look at the Input range which should be printed on the charger itself. If it says 100v-240v, you're good to go. If it only has one voltage and it doesn't match your destination country then you'll need to find a universal charger or a transformer to change the voltage.

Secondly you'll need a physical plug adapter to match the wall power point in your destination country. These are sold just about everywhere, from your airport to the supermarket. If you're travelling to multiple different countries which use many different plugs you may want to consider a global power adapter. It's a BIG adapter that combines all the different plugs into the one adapter:

If you're bringing a laptop charger, make sure it is a grounded adapter otherwise the third prong on your power plug won't fit as the grounded prong on the adapter will be missing.

Hope this helps! Any questions or thoughts please add to the discussion below.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I bought the Go Travel global adapter which is pretty similar to the one pictured in my first post. As you're in USA I'm not sure what brands you have over there.

I would recommend two adapters, a three prong USA to Asia adapter (which you probably already have) for your devices that have a grounded plug and a universal global one in case you travel to Europe!

Maybe others can recommend you a brand? :)